Land Usage & Off Road Responsibility Discussion pertaining to the education of proper land usage, closures, and responsible off road driving

General Trail Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good point mike, nails can mess up sidewalls and puncture your foot. i had a recent tetnus due to a dog attack at work, that shot sucks.......
Old 05-27-2006, 01:10 PM

Blue Ribbon Code of Ethics

1. I will respect the rights of all recreationists to enjoy the beauty of the outdoors. I will respect public and private property.

2. I will park considerately, taking no more space than needed, without blocking other vehicles, and without impeding access to trails.

3. I will keep to the right when meeting another recreationist. I will yield the right-of-way to traffic moving uphill.

4. I will slow down and use caution when approaching or overtaking another recreationist.

5. I will respect designated areas, trail-use signs and established trails.

6. When stopping I will not block the trail.

7. I will not disturb wildlife. I will avoid areas posted for the protection of feeding wildlife.

8. I will pack out everything I pack in, and will not litter.

9. I realize that my destination, objective and travel speed should be determined by my equipment, ability, the terrain, weather, and the traffic on the trail. In case of an emergency, I will volunteer assistance.

10. I will not interfere with or harass others. I recognize that people judge all trail users by my actions.

11. As a motorized trail user, I will pull off the trail and stop my engine when encountering horse back riders (it is also a good idea to take off your helmet and greet the riders).
Old 05-27-2006, 07:18 PM

you can get newcastle in cans..... sweet
Old 05-27-2006, 07:42 PM

This is a great thread for those of us who have only been wheeling for a short time. Im more of a slow and yielding wheeler anyway and I have learned most of these guidelines through common sense. but out on the trails I have seen countless people just shreading through places that they shouldnt be and not noticing other trucks on the trails at all and it pisses me off. mostly they are jeep and dodge guys... I never would have guessed! ha ha ha
Old 05-27-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't stress the part of preparing your vehicle enough for wheeling, including light wheelers!

Nobody likes going wheeling with another rig, and then having that rig get stuck, run out of gas, coolant leak, no oil, etc. Check your fluids, fill up your tank, check the tread level on your tires, and the tire pressure, and be sure to keep some simple tools in your truck just in case anything happens.

If you are a passanger in a vehicle, thank the person that was driving. There is nothing more aggrivating to me when I take somebody along with me onto the trail who wanted to go, and then not being thanked for wasting the gas to pick them up and take them home. I enjoy the company, but I don't like discourteous (if that is even a word) people.

And one last thing: Dress for the weather. During the winter, keep extra coats or sweaters in your truck, and during the summer, maybe pack in a towel, sun screen, hat, swim trunks, etc. There is nothing worse then having a person complain of being cold, or a person complain of being hot, and if there is a swimming hole that is public, it is always nice to take a dip.

Thats all I got for now.

*Edit*

Just thought of another for dirt bike and atv users:

If you are pulling a trailer to a place with your rec vehicles on it, I find it a lot more courteous to people if I take the trailer off my rig, and then park right next to it in a parking lot type area rather then taking up spaces parking sideways. It is a little more work, but people will appreciate it more.

Last edited by Jimmeh; 05-27-2006 at 08:42 PM.