General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear window wont go up

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear window wont go up

My 93 4runner rear window wont go up. The console switch and rear key will both roll the window down but when you try to roll it up all you here a relay click behind the driver side taillight.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Inspect wiring. Check for sensing switches if in proper position. Disconnect connector from wiper assembly and see if it changes anything. That will eliminated doubt on wiper out of park sensor.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:17 AM

I think the latch shut sensors are working cause it beeps when i try to roll the window up when the tailgate is down. And the wiper sensor seems to be working if it will let the window roll down.The relay is clicking when I try to roll it up so I need to see if its putting out any power. I just didn't know if there was another safety switch somewhere.

Last edited by adam38654; 01-27-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
.The relay is clicking when I try to roll it up so I need to see if its putting out any power. I just didn't know if there was another safety switch somewhere.
​​​Makes sense...
, if you hear relay click whn u try to operate windows, then control circuit must be working, but something is keeping power from reaching the motor or motor is bad in one direction. Need schematic to be sure. U can also test motor off the truck.
Again, schematic wud help a lot. I can help with schematic IF u have a first-gen
Old 03-14-2017, 09:56 PM

I think there is two relays that control the motor. One for up, one for down. One or both can deteriorate and have poor flow across the contacts.
I pulled the relay that controls the window going up on mine and soldered on a new one. I just bought a relay with the same specs and form factor.
I replaced mine here in Australia with one of these from memory: http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/non-la...-relays/047658

The window control board behind the panel where you can hear the relay clicking from that has these relays soldered onto it. If you pull the panel and control board, then with a multimeter you can check what is going on.