General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The really small light bulb inside the hazard or rear window defroster switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The really small light bulb inside the hazard or rear window defroster switch

Does anyone have any idea where to get this one? I got my hands on a used OEM foglight switch from Japan for my 94 4runner, but when I was trying to figure out how to hook it up something was not right. Turns out there is a small lightbulb inside this switch (I assume it is the same setup for the Hazard and Rear heater switches since they have a constant backlight when your headlights are on), and this small lightbulb is not working. It' seated in a small white plastic socket, and it seems like it's stuck in there.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

The bulbs in those switches and the sockets are all one piece. The socket has a phillips style head on the back of it and you rotate it a quarter turn to get it out of the switch itself. I went through this when I made all my backlighting blue. I broke a bulb off trying to get it out of the socket and then I realized it's all one piece. Toyota carries them. I went to a junkyard and swiped a couple. They are all the same for the AC, Hazard, Rear window, Rear defroster, ect.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 AM

Cool, thanks! I see you live not too far away from me... What junkyards do you go to in the area?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 PM

I've been trying to track down the actual stock bulb that goes into those sockets. I called the dealer and the bulb with socket is $9.00, which is crazy. I need 3 right now and I'm not paying $30 for those teeny things.

After poking around and using a set of calipers, it looks like this might be an 8640 bulb. You can see one here -

http://bulbster.com/lightbulbs/8640-p-2475.html

The only thing is the wattage seems a tad low.

I'll post once I've ordered some.

Cheers,
DrA>