General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer, ABS, VSC quit working...help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Odometer, ABS, VSC quit working...help!

'03 4Runner V8 SR5 4X4, all stock except for a K&N cold air intake.....

Thanks for any help or suggestions, in advance.

Christmas Eve was quite a cold one here in Denver, about 8F. I did a little street driving in some light snow accumulation, nothing over the axles. The truck sat until the 26th, I go to warm it up, and the following happens:

The ABS light, both VSC lights, the E-brake warning light, and the engine warning light all remain on and illuminated after I start the vehicle and release the key! No funny sounds, no alarms, and nothing else operates out of the ordinary. So I decide to take it for a drive and everything works as normal, except: the odometer, the trip, the vehicle skid control and the ABS are not functioning, and again all the lights I mentioned remained illuminated.

I've checked all the regular looking fuses in the cab and the engine bay, but I have no way to check the bigger square box relays/fuses. There are 2 marked "ABS" in the engine bay, but I have no idea if they're bad or if they're the cause of the problem(s).

I put the truck on a lift and nothing is obviously broken or disconnected around the tranny or transfer case, but I could be missing something more "hidden".

Any suggestions or ideas for me to self-diagnose and/or fix the problem would be much appreciated, I'm currently out of work and the finances are incredibly tight. Thanks a ton, crew! Happy New Gear!

cwillard602@yahoo.com
Old 12-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow, and resulting ice from car heat, may have collected at a wheel sensor and resulted in an ABS code. I could suspect, but doubt, that something happened to the speed sensor in the transfer case. Not the sensor itself but the external wiring at the connector.

I would go to a car wash and clean each wheel from the inside. You will likely find accumulated ice near the brakes/speed sensor. By cleaning the ice off, the sensor may start working. I think there is one on each wheel.

My $0.02
Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seairescue--

Thanks, a ton, your suggestions paid off--literally! I didn't have to remove the wheels but I did visit a nice carwash with undercarriage water jets and the problem has resolved itself. Slowly but surely the speedo and odo came back, then the e-brake light turned off, then the VSC lights turned off and I haven't had any problems since. Thankfully, I didn't have to visit the dealership, the systems are working again, AND I have a clean truck. Thanks, again.

Respectfully,

C. R. Willard