General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID???? Need help with finding a dual hi/lo beam HID headlight system, is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID???? Someone convince me if its worth the money and is it better!!!

I need help finding a dual hi/lo beam HID headlight system....and is it worth the money

Last edited by tx4runnerTRD; 12-13-2005 at 09:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

I would try searching first and see what you find doin that, if you have any questions about what you find then post away...

Wow, I'm proud of myself, usually I'm the one that has to be told to search...lol.

Anyway, good luck man!

Fink
Old 12-13-2005, 09:56 PM

Well thank you for the advice but i guess the question should be "Are HID headlight systems worth the money and is it going to be better than stock lights"?????
Old 12-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tx4runnerTRD
"Are HID headlight systems worth the money...
This is pretty subjective. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it.

"...is it going to be better than stock lights"?????
YES!
Old 12-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

get vision x 8000 k kit, i have it in my taco and love it
Old 12-14-2005, 12:24 AM
Contributing Member

If you are looking for a high/low beam setup... the projectors are called bixenon. Just type in Bixenon projector on ebay, should come up with alot... The BMW E46 ones are pretty nice.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

I need help finding a dual hi/lo beam HID headlight system....and is it worth the money
HIDs are awesome and when I have extra cash, this will be one of my next mods. However, my understanding is to be able to do hi/lo, you need projectors, not just the bulbs and ballasts. I could be wrong.

If I'm not wrong, this is a much more expensive proposition. I, myself, will probably just go for the basic kit (around $300) w/ no projectors. At one of the meets in Socal, there was a guy that had retrofitted some Mercedes HID projectors into the stock 4runner housings. It looked awesome but I don't have the skills to pull that one off. I can't remember his username but if he's reading this (Lawn), post some pics.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a killer system that can do what you want. Feel free to email me. I have some installed pics on the site of the single beam version, as examples to give an idea. The dual beam is cool though, but you might not need it.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:37 PM

as said before, theyre worth it if you think they are, and yes i think theyre better than stock halogens because they do throw down a lot more light. i have a dual beam 8000k kit i got for 300 on ebay, t hough i forget who i bought it from. ive had i have the crappy 96-98 lights, but im changing to the 99+ ones in a few days. i can post pics if ya want....anyway the best route to go is to retrofit projectors, which youd need bixenon ones into a 99+ housing, then use a stock (not hid KIT) system to light up the road. this can and will be very costly as the projectors depending on which ones you use (acura TL, honda s2000 being "the best", but audi and MB, bmw ones also used). retrofitting can go upwards of 700 dollars easily to get it done right. however, if a kit is in mind, then your choices are numerous, but you should get one with a casper shield so as not to blind your fellow drivers on the road. there are choices ranging from 4000k-10000k with the k being inversely proportional to the light output. if you want bling, get 8000k, pure light, 4300 (stock hid color) or a good mix of both is the 6000k. i wish id gone with either a 6 or 4.3. up to u though...sorry im rambling n i dont even know if it all makes sense.....i blame it on my finals!
Old 12-16-2005, 08:28 PM

Yea post some pictures for me when you get them. Thanks a lot, this will help me a ton.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
I have a killer system that can do what you want. Feel free to email me. I have some installed pics on the site of the single beam version, as examples to give an idea. The dual beam is cool though, but you might not need it.

how much would you charge to do a conversion such as this?

You're the one that put the projector's in the head light housing, right?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by oly884
how much would you charge to do a conversion such as this?

You're the one that put the projector's in the head light housing, right?
I'll wait for Jason B to chime in but I haven't seen a set that you can buy out of the box retrofitted for the 3rd gen light housing. There's a guy local that's done it here in Socal and he did a great job. The only issue is you have to buy projectors from another car (Lexus, BMW, etc.), bake your OEM housing to take it apart, then carefully install the projector, and you're done. To make this look good has got to take a ton of time. If someone has a kit, I'd pay up to $700 easy for one.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:05 PM

woo hoo~ have fun with this lol......try www.hidforum.com if you wanna do more homework Total cost for mine was around 250-300
Old 12-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
woo hoo~ have fun with this lol......try www.hidforum.com if you wanna do more homework Total cost for mine was around 250-300
$250 - 300 for parts, right? How about the time and effort? I'm worried that you try it and crack your housing or worse yet, try and not succeed and not have lights. Thoughts?

Do you have any close-up pics of the retrofit?

Last edited by ebelen1; 12-17-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:34 PM

try this page: http://wecool.net/home/Lights/4RunnerRetro.htm
has a writeup of what he did n all that. it takes time and patience, but the end result will probably be great if done right...screw it up though and you have an expensive project turning into an even more expensive one..haha. ive alway wondered how you know which way/how high etc to aim the projector when placing it in the housing....ive been told the good old guess and check works but if anyone knows otherwise let me know
Old 12-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
try this page: http://wecool.net/home/Lights/4RunnerRetro.htm
has a writeup of what he did n all that. it takes time and patience, but the end result will probably be great if done right...screw it up though and you have an expensive project turning into an even more expensive one..haha. ive alway wondered how you know which way/how high etc to aim the projector when placing it in the housing....ive been told the good old guess and check works but if anyone knows otherwise let me know
Holy crap. That seems like a ton of work that I wouldn't even imagine trying. Also, aiming would def be a consideration as once you've sealed everything back up, you're pretty hosed if the aiming is off. I say just go w/ ballasts and bulbs. Either that or go w/ 4crawler's harness. There's been many good reviews on his harness mod and the light output from stockers.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HID Retro

In response to Ebelen1, here are the pics...I used the E55 Bi-Xenon projectors and made my own bezel to cover it up in the housing...I tried using the regular HID Kits but it was just too much glare even with the casper shields.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by iceman601
In response to Ebelen1, here are the pics...I used the E55 Bi-Xenon projectors and made my own bezel to cover it up in the housing...I tried using the regular HID Kits but it was just too much glare even with the casper shields.
This is it. You guys/gals have to see this in person. It looks OEM. Lawn actually turned them on for us and you hear the HID power up just like the high-end autos out there.

Lawn, any chance you doing a set for me????
Old 12-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They look great, but man, that must have been a ton of work to do those!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

read this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60019

Last edited by BruceTS; 12-24-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Quick Reply: HID???? Need help with finding a dual hi/lo beam HID headlight system, is it worth it