General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom harness for power seat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom harness for power seat?

I have a pair of z32 300zx seats id like to put into my 91 pickup that currently has a bench seat. The passenger seat I'm putting in is motorized and I would like to get it hooked up to a switch. Has anybody done anything like this? I'm a bit unsure of where to start - do I need to run a lead straight from the battery or go through the fuse box? The motors have three leads off them, I'm assuming reverse polarity switches and ground, so I can hook it to a rocker switch no prob, but I'm confused about where/how to pull power.
Anys helps is appreciateds.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You have in fact made sure that the seats do work??

The easy thing to do would be to see if you could find the original switches and wire them into your truck.

As to where you want to pull the power it is up to you.

You can power it off the fuse panel .

Come direct off the battery with a in line fuse rated to handle the load.

If you have the extra money you can make almost anything you want.

The thing is to remember to use a center off momentary switch otherwise some one will leave it on.

The interesting part will be figuring out how to reverse the motor something best done in front of you.

It may be quite simple as energize one lead for CW and the other for CCW unless the motor is marked it will be trail and error
Old 02-16-2013, 11:59 PM

So your saying it can work any way I wanna do it then. I read on a google hit that someone used 20amp fuses so I spose ill start from there. Good call with the return to center switch - I didn't even think about that. Thanks fors the answers
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 AM

My brothers fj80 has power seats power comes from the battery through a 30 amp fusible link, I agree if you can find the original switches that would be the best option. The landcruiser only has two wires in the seat harnesses power and ground.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:28 AM

That's good info brian thanks.

Keep in mind i bought these seats off craigslist, only the passenger is power (which makes it easier) and I'm just gonna use the auto store switches.

So ill start with a 30amp fuse...if I'm not gettin any action ill bump down to 20amp and see what I get. Gonna hopefully get around to this today so ill post some pics when they're in.