General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB compressor wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB compressor wiring help

My compressor is not kicking on. I have the power to the switch tapped into the supply wire to the cig lighter. I was messing around the other day and found that the wire going into the lighter (never used it before) was disconnected so I pluged it in and it blew the fuse. I unpluged the wire and replaced the fuse but my compressor still wont come on. I have power to the switch, and the light on the switches come on. I have power into the relay and the fuse at the compressor is good. When I jumped across the relay from the power supply to the blue wire the compressor kicks on. It does this irregardless of whether the switch is on or off. Does this mean the relay blew? If so do I have to get one from ARB or will one from the parts store work. Sorry if this seems like dumb questions, but I don't know anything about electrical stuff. The wires on the relay are: red from bat to fuse to relay. Blue wire, ground wire, and red and white wire form relay to compressor, if that helps any.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Do you have the wires on the relay correct ??

the wire colors mean nothing without the print showing where they come from.

The relay has a coil and the contacts that close when the coil energizes ( when you turn on the switch) If the coil is open or it is wired wrong it wont work. If the relay is bad you need one just like it in the the way it works not all relays are the same:jessica:

How did you know which wires went to what terminals on the relay or was it a ready made harness??

Without looking at the relay I have no idea how it should be wired .

Perhaps a call to ARB on Monday is your best bet.

Unless someone has the same set up.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, it was all working before the cig lighter fuse blew, and the relay was a part of the premade harness from ARB and only plugs in one way.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

So the lighter socket was unplugged you plugged that in the fuse opened right away . At which time the Compressor no longer worked.

You unplugged the lighter socket and installed new fuse.

The power coming off the lighter circuit is what goes to the switch. Is the switch still working you have voltage through the switch when in the on position to the relay??

Then you also have battery voltage direct to the relay ? Is there a inline fuse between the battery and relay??

If the relay coil is open and the contacts don`t pull in no battery voltage to compressor

You need to check the switch first it does not matter that it lights up it still may not be working.

once you know for sure if the switch is working you can check that the relay is still working

Bottom line your not getting voltage to the compressor when you power it on via the switch .

Being as your not up to speed in the electrical area yet it is hard to say what to do next. I would get some help:jessica: