Adding Extra Accessory Outlets - 3rd Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding Extra Accessory Outlets - 3rd Gen 4Runner

How to Add Accessory Outlets (12v) to Your 3rd Gen Toyota 4Runner
By ASUDan

---------------------------------------------

How this started - I often have more than one 12v accessory that I want to run at any given time. My radar detector usually gets unplugged when I want to charge my cell phone, thus rendering it useless. I also like to bring my laptop on long trips (GPS and DVD) and my friends usually have cell phones to charge also. Why not add a couple more 12v outlets? Note: In the future I plan to add 2 more in the back

Tools Needed
10mm Socket & Wrench
Soldering Iron & solder
Wire cutters
Pocket knife or xacto-knife
Dremel tool OR hole saw (not sure of size)
A Sharpie (I used green)
3) Three Push-Pins (optional)

Supplies Needed
1, 2, or 3 outlet 12v adapter
8 or 10 gauge wire for positave AND negative
A piece of paper
Misc wire ends (I used car audio ends)
Plastic Epoxy (I used the 90min set stuff)
Sandpaper
A fuse (I used car audio fuses)

-------------------------------------------------------

Step One
Step One is to figure out exactly where you are going to mount your 12v accessory outlets. I chose a spot on the left side of the passanger foot space. This is convient for me because the wires are not in my way. The passanger looses just an inch or two of footspace. Here are some pictures of my mounting location.

Step Two
Step Two is to get cutting. I removed the trim piece, which is very easy. First I popped out the "snap" in the front of the piece, then I removed the screw at the back of the trim piece. Next you pop the black plastic around the parking break up, and then pop the part around the shifter up. Then you just fish the trim piece out. WARNING! The trim piece slides off toward the front of the 4Runner, once the back is out, you just slide it forward. See below for a picture It is real easy. Remember this order, it goes back together in reverse.

Step Three
Now you need to get the holes into the trim piece. I used a Sharpie and colored around the tops of the "sockets" then I pressed the 12v accessory outlets onto a piece of paper, leaving the Sharpie marks on the paper. Then I placed the paper on the inside of the trim piece and used push pins to hold it down. Next I did a test fit by using zip ties to hold the accessory outlet to the trim piece and I went out to the 4runner just to line everything up. I ended up moving the paper 1/4" so it would all fit.

The green mark on the right side of the paper is where the side of the accessory unit will line up in order to fit in the 4Runner correctly. Also make sure you remove the plastic that will get in the way on the back side of the trim piece. I used a pocket knife.

Next I put a piece of tape over the paper, so that it would stay together, and then I used a knife to cut out the circles. Then I used the dremel tool to remove the plastic (cutting from the inside going out) and I cut out the circles. They were not perfect so I used sandpaper to get it right.

Step Four
Step four is mounting the unit to the trim piece. Make sure you roughen up the surfaces with sandpaper first. I used TONS of plastic epoxy and in the future, I may add a bracket behind the unit. The expoxy, however, seems to be holding VERY well. Because the unit fits so snug in the 4Runner I think this will be plenty

I used some old textbooks to put some weight on it while cureing. Make sure to put the weight on the trim, and not on the sockets. I used two piece of wood on either side of the sockets to make sure the books were pushing down on the trim and not the sockets.

Step Five
Step Five is to upgrade the wires that run to the unit. The stuff that is attached is crap, I ran 8 gauge wire, but I am sure 10 is fine. make sure your ground wire is as big, or bigger than your hot wire. I soldered the original wires off and then resoldered the new wires. I am not proud of my soldering ability, so no pictures of that. I decided to make the wires route out of the back of the accessory unit, instead of the bottom, so they would fit in the 4runner better. Here is a picture.

See how small the old wires are?

Here is the new wire exit locations... much better

Step Six
Install Time! Make sure the epoxy has cured. I let it sit for about 3 hours. It takes 24 hours to fully cure, so dont move it around much for 24 hours. There are only a few pictures of this point, but here is how I did it.

- I installed the ground wire to the 10mm bolt that is right by where the "pop out" is that holds the trim piece on. This was a nice long bolt, and easy to use.

- I routed the power wire under the AC assembly (vent) and around the back toward the drvers side. Then I went under the carpet behind the pedals, and up through the groumet that is right next to all the wires. This was tough because I didn't have any electric tape. Use a hanger and electric tape and it will take 2 min!

- Next I ran the power wire to the battery, where I installed a fuse and then on to the battery. I used car-audio wire and fuses, and basically hooked it up like an amp!

Step Seven
Test everything out, make sure you have a fuse in the fuse holder! Clean up your mess and enjoy!

Future Changes
- I am going to make this a switched bank out outlets. The switch will be above my ETC switch near the parking break.
- I plan to add two more outlets for the rear passangers. I am also going to add a 110v outlet back there, when I get my 500watt power inverter.
- I am going to get caps to cover the outlets. These will make it look better, and the install will be safer too!

Thats it! Thanks to everyone on the 4Runner Message Board for the suggestions before, during and after the install. If anyone has any questions, just E-Mail Me!

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 12-31-2005 at 07:28 PM.