Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

Power door lock conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power door lock conversion

I'm looking into adding a good security system with good keyless entry onto my 92 truck, only I lack the most basic requirement of power door locks. I have a question to anyone who has done a power door locks conversion, what brand/manufacturer of the kit would you recommend? I'd like the most reliable one available, and cost isnt an issue.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed a Commando system about two years ago.

http://www.commandocaralarms.com/pow...r-lock-kit.asp

Went in easy, works great, no problems.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:55 PM

that looks like a good deal. i think ill go with that.

one more question for you though midi, i'm deciding right now on which alarm to purchase as well. i've read how a lot of guys (yourself included) went with the commando 870. i'm thinking that maybe the 870 has a bunch of features i won't utilize (like the remote start, and the lcd responder - which i bet id lose). but would their be any serious security advantages that it would offer over say, their power door lock kit w/ alarm (http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1463)?

i'll probably be doing this install myself, if that may have a bearing on which to purchase. im looking for decent quality security, and probably will be willing to spend a bit extra if it really would make a difference on whether my car gets stolen or not.

thanks for the help btw
Old 09-09-2005, 05:48 PM

bump, for any other opinions on this topic
Old 09-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fatdudesurfin
that looks like a good deal. i think ill go with that.

one more question for you though midi, i'm deciding right now on which alarm to purchase as well. i've read how a lot of guys (yourself included) went with the commando 870. i'm thinking that maybe the 870 has a bunch of features i won't utilize (like the remote start, and the lcd responder - which i bet id lose). but would their be any serious security advantages that it would offer over say, their power door lock kit w/ alarm (http://www.commandocaralarms.com/ite...ProductID=1463)?

i'll probably be doing this install myself, if that may have a bearing on which to purchase. im looking for decent quality security, and probably will be willing to spend a bit extra if it really would make a difference on whether my car gets stolen or not.

thanks for the help btw
Like you've seen, I started a bit of a sub-culture here with the Commando gear, but I'm a firm believer in it all. It works well, is priced INCREDIBLY fair and the install isn't all that bad.

Added security wise.. All of their alarms will work with the locks - so, set the alarm, and the doors will lock. Clear the alarm, doors open. The remote start units work with them as well, so... hit the start button, the doors lock and the rig starts.

Now, to be honest, I'm not a big advocate of alarms in general. If someone wants your rig, they WILL get it. Alarms are basically useless. I don't have the siren hooked up on mine 'cause no one pays attention anyway! But, I have an ignition cutout, so if the alarm does trigger, it ain't going anywhere.

{sidetrack}
I tell a story about living near Wrigley Field in Chicago. One of the entertaining things to do was to grab a lawn chair and a couple of beers and go sit out next to a parking lot when the Cubs had a night game. "WHY???" you may ask... 'cause the to trucks would show up at 10pm ON THE DOT - when the lot "closed" after a game.

There'd be usually 8-10 of them, parked down the street. The clock hit's 10 and they're in the lot... grabbing cars and yanking them off to the tow yard.

This is relevant 'cause most of the cars (figure the lot had 100 cars) had alarms. The trucks would come in, snag a car, and yank it out - in WELL under a minute. Driving down the road, alarm blaring, no one paying any attention.

Again, if someone wants your truck, they'll get it...

The other trick is to take an ice pick to the battery... Give it about 5 minutes to drain, and... the alarm is useless.
{/sidetrack}

ANYWAY!

Yes, in theory, the power lock conversion will add security to an alarm system. But in general, it's just a nice-to-have.