General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

This is what happens when you buy skyjacker springs...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottyC
Is it me, or is there a lift block under the springs? Take a look at the pinion angle too. No way to get that angle without a severe degree shim.

But, its not a Skyjacker issue anyway. The springs bent because they were allowed to negative arch on a regular basis.
It's you. There is no block in there. Notice the angle of the bottom of the perch, which is obviously welded to the axle. The spring is bolted directly to the axle, no block. Caster shim, yes. Block, no.

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Good eye! I'm seeing that too now(@400% zoom) It's pretty clear there is a block under them.

Can you say AXLE WRAP CITY? What a dumbass!

They don't look angled to me. But he likely clocked the perches to get that pinion angle.
Pipe down Nancy, your facts are wrong.

Skyjacker lifts come with pinion angle shims, and the springs are bolted directly to the perches anyways (with only the shims in there). There are no blocks, the springs would sit above the backing plates if there were.

Originally Posted by MegaManX268
K. I talked to my buddy today and Im goin out there tomorrow to help him put a body lift on his truck. BUT I asked him some questions

1. He said that is how the springs were shipped to him, he hasnt removed any leafs and no overload springs came on it(its the front).

2. That shackle is not welded to the frame and it can move, the picture just makes it look that way, ill take more pics when I go out there tomorrow.

3. That isnt a block its a shim to help his drive shaft angle.

and 4. Those u-bolts are on there right, he would know because they have 3 of those trucks out there at thier house.

Let me know if there are any specefic picture request for me to take tomorrow. Ill try to take a bunch.
The cause of the problem is lack of bump stops. He simply negatively arched the springs too many times, and they went flat. Same as any spring. See also: OEM. Suspension flex over the years causes them to sag. Particularly in the rear of vehicles that have been used to haul heavy loads without helper springs or airbags.

The problem doesn't have anything to do with Skyjacker springs. They really aren't made to flex all that well in the first place, but I wheeled with a guy who had PROPER bump stops for YEARS and his springs never ever lost arch.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DC, will you read post #7 and explain if my post is true or not and why lol?

im not calling you out, just trying to learn
Old 09-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
how could one overload the front of a rig with cargo? theres no room for anything lol.
also most aftermarket front lift springs (skyjacker included) do not come with an overload spring.

and this could be a dumb question but, how could the springs be over extended?
wont the springs (regardless of lift height) hit the stops at the same point?(right when the springs get flat).

the only reason you would need to extend the bump stops would be if you installed longer shackles and lowered the front hanger correct?

i could be way off, its late lol
Stock springs could travel past "Zero" from the factory, so it stands to reason that aftermarket springs would travel past zero as well. Any time you over extend springs, they lose lift. Its much more extreme with lift springs as they have much longer to travel as well. If anything, its a flaw in the factory design which allows them to travel past zero thus allowing them to "overflex" and flatten.

The other issue is with using stock shackles. Stock shackles only allow the spring to move back so much, wherein it stops moving back and begins to arch negatively. Longer shackle would allow the spring to move further back (closer to true flat) instead of bending 1/4 down the spring on either side.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Stock springs could travel past "Zero" from the factory, so it stands to reason that aftermarket springs would travel past zero as well. Any time you over extend springs, they lose lift. Its much more extreme with lift springs as they have much longer to travel as well. If anything, its a flaw in the factory design which allows them to travel past zero thus allowing them to "overflex" and flatten.

The other issue is with using stock shackles. Stock shackles only allow the spring to move back so much, wherein it stops moving back and begins to arch negatively. Longer shackle would allow the spring to move further back (closer to true flat) instead of bending 1/4 down the spring on either side.
ahh ok, so its a factory flaw... how dare toyota .. "if" the bump stops were setup correctly from the factory then they should work fine with a lift spring.

yea i know about how the shackle can effect the spring.

thanks DC!
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

Dude... you have no idea how much of a relief it is for me to hear that. If only you could have posted that 3 months ago, would have saved me so much trouble lol. Thank you for explaining what seems so simple but I have been figuring out the hard way for some time now!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
so DC is short if your using lift springs with factory shackles its the right thing to do to extend the bump stops as I had mentioned earlier in this thread?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
so DC is short if your using lift springs with factory shackles its the right thing to do to extend the bump stops as I had mentioned earlier in this thread?
Yes, so you do not negative arch the spring