General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Ugh, 4runner worked for a bit, dies

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh, 4runner worked for a bit, dies

I just finished changing my head gasket on my 85 runner, started her up (with the help of a jump, it was a week long project). She ran at first, then the next day the battery was dead again (which wasn't a huge surprise). I finally got her running thanks to a push start, drove her for about 20 minutes and was parked with her idling and she suddenly died. I had adjusted the idle down because when I first started her she was at about 1200rpm, so maybe I adjusted it, and then it adjusted itself... and then died... anyways, that's all the background.
Same night I left where I had been parked, drove across the street to the airport, picked a friend up and got just outside the airport when suddenly all the lights went dead and the truck started to lurch. The tach jumped around between 1k and 4k. The lights would flicker. The engine cut out. I tried to start her with using what speed I still had and that didn't help. As soon as I stopped trying to bump start it the lights all came back on and voltage returned to an decent level, though still not enough to start the truck.
Maybe I made a mistake when I put her back together? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Everything grounded well? Check the battery and alt.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I'll check those connection, however I didn't touch the alternator nor the ground connection on the battery. There were a couple of grounds to the motor that I thought I reconnected, but I ended up cutting one and repairing it with a but splice (the one on the power steering bracket, the one on the intake manifold stayed intact).
I dropped a socket down by the started and sparked a couple things when trying to get it out, maybe that's related?
Old 04-14-2009, 11:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
It sounds like a bad ground. Make sure the battery terminals are not corroded and check the main body ground.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Contributing Member

or bad alt...
Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 PM

I thought I had been told that the alternator was only about a year old when I bought the truck, making it about two years old now... if it is bad then at least that'll be an excuse to upgrade!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get a multimeter and see what your voltages are.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:32 PM

All voltages are good.
I've fixed a few problems and found a few more:
I replaced the cap & rotor with new wires from Summit on the way, the old cap looked wasted, or on its way and the coil wire came apart when I removed it.
My radiator started leaking, but that is totally unrelated, it just sucks for me.
Replaced the starter wire, the old one had almost no insulation on it.
New battery, though voltage on the old one seems ok.
Checked all voltages, they're ok.

Another new problem: Usually if I swing open the door on the air meter I can hear the (fuel pump?) turn on. Now, when I do that I hear nothing. Fuel pump showed no prior signs of trouble. I temporarily repaired the coil wire (no guarantees it works) and the truck turns over, but no signs of anything burning in there. Thoughts?
And thanks again to everyone who has helped!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 PM

She's up and running, I repaired a wire heading to the fuel tank and installed the new wires, started just like that!
Thanks again!