General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

towing 3rd gen 4runner behind RV???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One of our guys nuked a tcase towing back from Moab. We think it tried to get back in gear or something.

I would NEVER NEVER NEVER flat tow ANY vehicle without disconnecting the drive system - there is just way too much that can go wrong, and when it does, there is a pretty high probability of totaling the vehicle and potentially the tow vehicle and other people on the road too. As mentioned above, it's 4 (or 8) bolts to remove the driveshaft. If you tow regularly, the FF conversion, and just being able to turn 2 knobs would be a lot more convenient (especially in mud, snow, etc)
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me get this straight...Remove rear drive shaft, trans in drive and transfer case in 4hi and I'm good to go?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
2nd Q&A below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/TLCA_Tru...ech.05.03.html

For the front axle, depends on what setup you have. If you have manual locking hubs, unlock them and that end is good to go. If you have the automatic front axle (ADD), then leave it in 2WD so that the front diff. is unlocked and that should be no different than driving in 2WD.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stockwell45
So let me get this straight...Remove rear drive shaft, trans in drive and transfer case in 4hi and I'm good to go?
Rear shaft removed and it doesn't matter if you're in drive 2nd 3rd or whatever, and keep the t case in 2wd or neutral.

If you're in 4hi then the front will be engaged and you don't want that. You want the drive-train completely disconnected from the road. Just free spinning wheels.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Rear shaft removed and it doesn't matter if you're in drive 2nd 3rd or whatever, and keep the t case in 2wd or neutral.

If you're in 4hi then the front will be engaged and you don't want that. You want the drive-train completely disconnected from the road. Just free spinning wheels."

Yes the whole point is to eliminate any possible movement of the drive train other than the rear axle and all wheels.
A flat tow is one of the most dangerous and it will wear the front tires excessively.

The final part of the equation is to make sure your front tires are pointing straight forward and that the steering wheel is locked in this position.
If your front tires are pointed in any other direction it will fight your towing vehicle and cause them both to run crooked down the road!!
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 AM

Problem with Locking the Steering wheel

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
"Rear shaft removed and it doesn't matter if you're in drive 2nd 3rd or whatever, and keep the t case in 2wd or neutral.

If you're in 4hi then the front will be engaged and you don't want that. You want the drive-train completely disconnected from the road. Just free spinning wheels."

Yes the whole point is to eliminate any possible movement of the drive train other than the rear axle and all wheels.
A flat tow is one of the most dangerous and it will wear the front tires excessively.

The final part of the equation is to make sure your front tires are pointing straight forward and that the steering wheel is locked in this position.
If your front tires are pointed in any other direction it will fight your towing vehicle and cause them both to run crooked down the road!!
I'm Confused here... If you lock the steering wheel when your towing the vehicle the car wont follow you when your towing the vehicle. Why would you want to do this???
Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM

1st reality is that for the steering wheel to be unlocked the key must be in the ignition.

2nd when the wheels turn one way then you turn the other the wheels are fighting you more than they would if they were straight.

I realize that this seems somehow wrong but believe me it is correct.
If you use a tow dolly you actually have the same situation yet your transfer case and front end are in no danger either.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM

4 runner not ideal i guess

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
1st reality is that for the steering wheel to be unlocked the key must be in the ignition.

2nd when the wheels turn one way then you turn the other the wheels are fighting you more than they would if they were straight.

I realize that this seems somehow wrong but believe me it is correct.
If you use a tow dolly you actually have the same situation yet your transfer case and front end are in no danger either.
So i am looking for a vehicle to tow flat behind my MH looked at a 4runner yesterday just pricied out the Remco solution and the tow bar and its a pretty pricy investment. My earlier comment ragarding the steering wheel being in the lock position. Lets say we are not towing the vheicle and we need to push it off the road or pull it off the road. If we wanted to go any other direction other than straight the Wheels would have to turn. Granted my knowlege of 4Runners is limited however dragging my car left or right with the steering wheen locked seems like it would mess up the steering. Forget about the transmission. My explorer had an accessory position and a electronic neutral tow kit module that allowed the transmission to be electronically disnegaged. I think im gonna go back to that option didnt have any problems with towing it the car gave out on its own and had nothing to do with being towed. Thanks for the information i really liked the explorer i looked at yesterday but wanted to do research before purchaing rather than after > Thanks again
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM

Actually more damage would be done if the wheels turn. Like I said before if the wheels turn one way then you turn the other the wheels would experience far more wear.

I thought the same way one time but could you imagine the tires peeling off when the wheels were turned the wrong way and in the towing vehicle how would you know this even happened? then the rims would be shot!

I doubt that the "explorers accessory position and a electronic neutral tow kit module that allowed the transmission to be electronically disengaged" lets the wheels turn.