General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Side exit exhaust in a 1st gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side exit exhaust in a 1st gen 4runner

I'm looking into doing a side exit exhaust in my 22re '89 'runner, but I have some questions. I want to use a Flowmaster 40, but I figure that in order to have the pipe poke out just in front of the driver's side front shackle mount, I have to move the cat forward 8 inches. The problem I see is that there is a sensor (O2?) right behind the cat. If I take 8" out from behind this sensor and join it with one of these, then the wire won't be long enough to reach the sensor. Is there a way I can get an extension to this wire? The other option I see is that my truck has an O2 sensor in the manifold, but it's not hooked up. Is there a chance that I could wire that one up instead of the one further down?

Here's the list of parts I plan on using from the cat back, in the order they're connected (I have a welder, but I've never done exhaust and I'd rather not use it for this job):

-This reducer connects to the cat with one of these (will this u-bolt work?).
-The Flowmaster 40 connects to the reducer with one of these (butt joints OK?).
-This 90-degree bend connects to the muffler with another 2.25 butt joint.
-I weld this tip on the end to finish it off.

If there's anything amiss on ths list, let me know, this is my first time doing exhaust. If anyone has suggestions, please post. I'll consider anything that I can bring in for under $150. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Zelephant; 10-05-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant
The problem I see is that there is a sensor (O2?) right behind the cat. If I take 8" out from behind this sensor and join it with one of these, then the wire won't be long enough to reach the sensor. Is there a way I can get an extension to this wire?
Splice some new wire in!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if your going to wheel it in the rocks and or plan on getting sliders i WOULD NOT do side exhaust... thats just asking to to be crushed...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
exactly..get some wire of the same gauge and such..

cut urs up..splice it with the new wires..problem solved

i wanted to do the side exit exhaust on my '86 pickup..but i tried a BUNCH of different ways..and i couldnt get it to set up close enough to the body..because the frame at that point sits significantly lower than the body..and overall i think it wont look good..

there was a guy on here that cut a 4in hole in the side of his 3rd gen pickup and ran his exhaust out of it..and it looked fricken BADDARSE!!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:46 PM

I solved that problem the easy way...cut the cat off (and scrapped it for $110)
Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holy shat...hopefully i can scrap the cat on my 4runner for that much..

o yea..I GOT 2..lol one on the runner and one in the garage that i found..lmao
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 PM

Haha that was last summer, economy's really taken a crap since then.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Thanks for the replies! First of all, I'm not going to be doing any wheeling, my truck is a daily driver and I don't want to kill it on the trails.

If it's as simple as splicing in more wire, then, heck yeah, I'll do it! Can I use regular braided wire, or do I need some sort of coaxial cable?

I don't mind that the pipe will exit a few inches below the body, I just really want side exhaust !

Taking out the cat isn't an option; I live in CT- the smog police are pretty strict here .

I just want to double-check- The reducer has an inside diameter of 1.75", so it's slightly wider on the outside. Will the 1.75" u-bolt still work?
Old 10-06-2009, 01:07 PM

Any wire with a single pair will work fine.

I have a side exit exhaust with a summit racing muffler and some high-flo cat, it comes out right at the rear shackle and works nice. It is a lot noisier, especially with the summit muffler (it's speced after the flowmaster 40-series, but costs a lot less)

I ran 2.5" exhaust so I couldn't tell you about any u-bolts. The one pig problem I ran into was support in the rear. Right now it's just supported around the large bracket for the t-case. Let us know if you come up with anything creative for that!
Old 10-07-2009, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by forwardtocharis
The one pig problem I ran into was support in the rear. Right now it's just supported around the large bracket for the t-case. Let us know if you come up with anything creative for that!
I can probably find some way to weld up some sort of support bracket to the frame. At least I hope so.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I moved my cat nearly a foot back with my new exhaust... didn't have to modify the wire wht so ever... just unbolted the clips that held it to the body, and made new ones. you sure yours isn't like this either?
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 AM

Traditionaly exhaust is attached to the body with rubber hangers... I would try and keep it as much like that as possible and not incorporate the frame. Just my .02.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 AM

True... but you can always have more brackets fabbed up... rather easy to do... just 90 degree of a piece of steel and a hanger. I had one made at the exhaust shop I was at, holds up really well. but yeah, definitely I would keep the exhaust in "stock form" nothing wrong with it coming out behind the rear wheel. You COULD always cut it off underneath the truck with a down pipe. buddy of mine does that on his 22re. probably admits the same result as a side exit.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
I moved my cat nearly a foot back with my new exhaust... didn't have to modify the wire wht so ever... just unbolted the clips that held it to the body, and made new ones. you sure yours isn't like this either?
Any chance you could get pictures of that? The wire on mine unclips, but it's still not gunna reach back 8".

It wouldn't be much harder to weld a bracket to the body instead of the frame, and probably a better idea. BTW, I don't want to run it behind the tire because the pipe past the muffler has rusted pretty bad and I don't want to fab it. I could just dump it, but I kinda want a tip you can see.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, I appreciate it.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 PM

A friend of mine ran his exhaust with a holesaw right behind his front wheel.. It was a 1st gen diesel Runner and it was loud as all hell!
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 PM

im the one with a flowmaster 40 and thats it, i have it dropped down right before the rear axle and it sounds good to me i guess. i wouldnt mess with moving the cat and o2 sensors... that can become a problem later on down the road. and from what i know on 22res there is an o2 behind and in front of the cat. at least thats what is on mine.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Any chance you could get pictures of that? The wire on mine unclips, but it's still not gunna reach back 8".
of course, I have pics of it Though, I didn't take pictures of where my o2 was located before and after, because I didn't think it would matter... heh these are of course afters, but in reality the o2 is supposed to sit back 6-8 inches. when I put the headers on, I could not finish putting the cross over on because the stock cat was in the way. so i had to modify it and push the o2 and cat further to the back of the truck. my muffler is maybe 2 inches from the axle... which is where the tail pipe bends vertically.

Name:  DSC_0006-1.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0007-1.jpg
Views: 2181
Size:  85.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0009.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  84.8 KB

Moving your cat or o2 sensor shouldn't yeild any problems... it didn't for me, other than the fact that I put a high flow cat on and my CEL came on for a few days, but it mysteriously went off, and hasn't come on since. installing my exhaust system did make my idle out of whack for a few, but I just reset the ECU and it went back to normal.

EDIT: I found a before. this was my hacked up cat back but if you can compare the before and after, you can see my exhaust is pushed back quite a bit from stock.

Name:  DSC_0003-3.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  89.4 KB

(thats me in the background ) little side note there lol
Old 10-09-2009, 03:46 AM

Nice exhaust set up! Thanks for the pics! If I'm looking at this right, you moved the O2 sensor further toward the rear, right? In my case, I would be taking out 8" from the pipe in front of the frame crossmember, causing the O2 and everything else to move forward, and the O2 wire doesn't reach that far forward. Also, is it just me, or does your O2 wire enter the body near the middle? Mine enters right under the doorframe. But then again, mines a 22RE, and I see yours is a 3.0, so I'd expect some differences.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:21 AM

Yep. I moved mine back further. its lined up right next to the gas tank, as you can see in the picture. I would expect the o2 sensor to be easier to figure out if your moving it toward the front? search under your truck more... there should be clips and what not holding up the o2 sensor wire.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM

my $0.02, fyi, if you have shiny aluminum wheels on your daily driver the side exit exhaust in front of your wheel can mess up your wheels finish. It will dull the finish so that you have to constantly polish it off. I did this with a truck of mine back in the day and i'll never re-route my exhaust to drop in front of my wheels again. If you have steel wheels or maybe even chrome then you need not worry.

Quick Reply: Side exit exhaust in a 1st gen 4runner