General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Sagging back end not what we thought...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sagging back end not what we thought...

Hi,

The last few days I noticed I was feeling every little bump in the road and I could hear/feel rubbing even over man hole covers. I got out to look and saw that there was nearly no clearance over my back tires. I assumed it was a suspension thing... Since I had read about that on here before. ( especially in 4runners of a similar vintage) So, since I had just got new tires last week I called them about it.

They looked underneath and said that the part that a shock attaches to had rusted away so I was just sitting on the spring. And.. that apparently the spring is poking up 6 inches further than it should be. They said they couldn't fix it, and sent me to a welding guy.

The welding guy oohed and ahhed over the fact that he had never seen anything like it before. he said h's have to make a piece and weld it on to attach the shock back onto the truck. ( for around 400-500 dollars).

I asked about the other side... he said it could go too, but that the drivers side gets more salt etc, so that's why this one went first.

Also... my truck got hit in a parking lot last week... Could that jarring have done it.. or do I get more bumps driving out on the road?

I figure I'll still probably fix it... but, should I be thinking about selling it for parts and getting something less rusty? I'm coming up on 223000miles, but with the recall done just a couple years ago.. it's running so well!

I love any comments, advice. I did searches, but I think it is a little unusual to just have the thing snap off....

( here's a pic of the damage from the parked car accident)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80069619@N00/2635476918/

Last edited by ms_betty; 07-16-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to a Civic years ago, in my case one of the rear struts actually came up throught the floor. It's possible the parking lot bump finished the job but it must have been close to breaking anyway.

If it's that rusty in one spot I would get the rest of the frame checked out before spending any money to fix it.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:14 PM

I think you might want to try another welding shop, just because his noise about one side of the truck getting more salt than the other is pure hokeum. If one side is rusted so bad it let loose pretty sure bet the other is ready to let go to. Doubt that the parking lot bump had anything to do with it.
Any board members near you that might be able to take a look? Or maybe a 4x4 club local? You may have some serious issues hiding under there.
Jim
Old 07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
could you take some pictures of the spring and shock and the mounts?
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM

It is rusty underneath the whole thing, but I didn't realize that it was beyond cosmetic. I assumed the metal under there was really thick.

I don't know if there are any yota tech people near here. If you do and would come look! I have beer! ( can't drink it... pregnant)

I'd love to get it up on a lift and see it for myself, there's no way I'm getting my pregnant self on the ground to peek.. I would get stuck!

I just wanted a couple more years on it without putting a bunch of money into it. It runs so well... I'm ignoring the body rust and I figure I'll drive it till it quits.

just about 223000m

Maybe I can get my usual mechanic to look underneath and tell me if the frame is shot and to junk it. They don't do welding there, but they are real honest and always busy.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
could you take some pictures of the spring and shock and the mounts?
I'll see if my husband can tomorrow. Then I could see it too.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "the spring was sticking up 6 inches more than it should be". Could you clarify this? Also, when you said that the weight of the truck is sitting only on the springs, keep in mind that the springs always support all the weight of the truck. The shocks don't support weight, they only dampen up and down movement.

For the shock mounts, I know exactly what you mean, because both of mine broke through. The metal there is quite thin, and it's a spot that collects and holds salt and sand, so corrosion there is innevitable.

That "welding guy" is trying to milk this job for all it's worth if his "fix" is going to cost $400-$500. My fix will outlast the rest of my '93 4Runner, and cost approx $20 per side.

I took a piece of 5/16" steel plate approx 4" wide by 14" long (just going by memory, here so have a new "welder guy" (preferably a nicer one) double check the measurements required. I put a 120 degree or so bend in the plate (probably 5" or so from one end) so that it looked almost like an "L".

The short section of the "L" gets welded solidly to the outside of the frame, and the long section of the "L" passes under the frame and extends just under the old shock mount location (maybe 3/4" or so below the old shock mount location. A hole is drilled for the stud of the shock to go up through, you add your old bushings and cups, tighten the nut down, and call it a day.

One thing to look out for is that the long part of the "L" is not made too long. I don't remember what it is (maybe a bolt on one of the control arms or on the panhard bar?) will hit it if you make it too long.

Here's the only picture that I have available of the shock mount here at work. sorry about the crappy pic quality... but it should give you a better idea of what I'm trying to explain in this post.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 07-16-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to fix that as soon as possible...IT is not safe if your rear end is not attached (by the springs) and you are driving it around...

400-500 sounds reasonable for that fix by a professional welder...its a little more work than some of these guys think it might be. Most welders charge around 75-100 per hour so thats not unreasonable at all
Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Ok! I got down under my truck to take pictures. I'm not sure if I got what people wanted to see.. but it was neat for me to get a feel for what was going on under there. It is really rusty, but I can't imagine that the steel of the frame is as thin as where the shocks attach all the way around. At least, it does not appear to be.

here's a link to my pictures of underneath. it's really hard to get under there when it is hanging so low.

http://flickr.com/photos/80069619@N0...7606224854512/

I forgot to add, thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate your ideas!

Last edited by ms_betty; 07-17-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All I have to say is WOW

I would not even want to watch that thing drive

Poor Yota

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 07-17-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
You need to fix that as soon as possible...IT is not safe if your rear end is not attached (by the springs) and you are driving it around...

400-500 sounds reasonable for that fix by a professional welder...its a little more work than some of these guys think it might be. Most welders charge around 75-100 per hour so thats not unreasonable at all
The shock mount is broken exactly the way I thought it was, and yes that is as easy to fix as I think it is. I've done two of them at less than one hour per piece.

She said he was charging her $400-$500 to fix one shock mount. Way too high...

For the spring, it's a bit hard to tell from the pictures whether there's anything wrong with the mounts. Are you sure that the springs aren't just saggy? Did it suddenly drop lower than it was before, or is it just the banging around of the shock that's the problem?

While you're waiting and deciding what to do, take that shock off of your truck if you're still driving it... before it causes more damage. It is OK to drive without that rear shock for a while... just don't go jumping any sand dunes or anything. If there actually is something wrong with your springs or spring mounts (and they aren't just sagging), then I would park it until you can get it fixed.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:41 PM

x2 the rust looks very bad should take a very good thought about fixing it
Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 AM

I'll write down the pp's fix for when I go back to the guy. I think he wasn't sure how he would do it, since he hadn't seen something like it before.

The springs were probably a bit saggy before the shock mount broke. I'm not sure if this is from being almost broken, or just a little saggy springs.

This has us thinking more seriously about upgrading to a newer 4runner. I'm spoiled forever.. I LOVE them. I'm looking at a 2002 for $12995. 73860miles on it. They have a bunch of used in stock, 1998-2002 from 9000-12995. People are probably trading them in for prius' .

I still have body damage to fix from my parked car accident for about $1000, should i bother? Should I just get the cash and put it toward the new car? Will they even take it as a trade? Is it better to sell it privately? Is it worth anything. *sigh. This is so not what I wanted to be thinking about almost 7 months pregnant.. you know. I have to drive my car around town in the mean time. It is only about 3 mile circuit between home , work and my daughters daycare. I go slow and avoid potholes/ bumps.

The bodyshop guy's actual verbal estimate was $400, but he said between 350 and 500 to be safe. (Including sandblasting where he'd weld) He gave a range because I told him I'd have to split payment over 2 paychecks since he didn't take credit cards. If I bring him this info about how best to fix it, maybe it would stay closer to the 350-400 range. I think I need to fix that for the safety sake, but if I'm going to get rid of it, I'm waffling on the body work.

The body shop guy has already ordered the new fender, was going to call me when it was in. ( this was on Monday). Is it bad karma to call and say I changed my mind?

Sorry, lots of questions!

Last edited by ms_betty; 07-18-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:16 AM

Thats a lot of rust and I am not sure if it is worth fixing? We love our old rigs but $1000+3-400+new shocks and springs+++++. Part it out and start spending in the right direction.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 AM

I can't part it out myself... I'm not that handy. But I wasn't sure if someone would buy it whole for parts. I don't know how much I would get for it. guess I wasted money on those 3 new tires I bought to match the one that insurance bought for me after that lady punctured my tire with her car.

ugh.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:20 AM

Tires are not a waste, if they are good 31x10.5 or 235/75 they will fit anything. Around here it would be worth 4-600 for parts.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM

We went in and got a 99 4runner SR5 Sport today. I guess I'm a sucker for a scoop. They gave me $100 for my truck.. with its 600$ of new tires. but lowered the price from $11995 to $9100. Is that a horrible deal for a '99 with 117k on it? I will still be getting about $1100 from the insurance company of the woman that hit me in the parking lot.

I just knew I wasn't going to drive home in my truck.. it was rusty roulette.

Of course, I have buyers remorse.. and the power antenna doesn't work. The motor runs, but the antenna doesn't go up and down. I see there's a lot of info on it in the threads, I don't know if I am adept enough to handle it myself. The digital clock doesn't work either. They won't fix it.

It's very clean and the body is in really nice shape. sun/ moon roof and roof rack. No running boards, which I didn't realize I actually used untll I didn't have them. Sounds like it's easy to put some on though.

A new saga begins!
Old 07-20-2008, 07:18 PM

Congrats, looks great in black.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool rig, a tad more then I wouldve paid but hey. Good call on junkin the 93, though I wouldve kept it and sold parts off it. But that was probibly not feasible for you.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM

I would have loved to part it out myself, but realistically, I would have had a rusty truck in my yard for months.