General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

replacing or repolishing a glass lens on headlight

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replacing or repolishing a glass lens on headlight

the wife's 2001 4runner had some front bumper work done and had a headlight replaced from someone hitting her.

her rig has 104,000 miles on it so there is some wear to the lens of the other headlight.

one is brand new the other is worn.

i guess the only option is to replace the entire headlight assembly with a brand new one so they don't look all f-ed up.

can i buy just the lens?
and if not where can i get the headlamp cheap? cheapest on fleabay is $93 shipped

any help would be appreciated
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM

What do you mean by worn? I think that the lens's are plastic not glass. Are you trying to say that the plastic lens has become oxidized (kind of a yellow haze) and the new one is clear? If that's what you are talking about then you can use some rubbing compound to buff of the oxidation. There is even some products that are specifically made to remove the oxidation on headlight lens's. I have never used them but I think they are very similar to rubbing compound. Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:44 PM

I have an 02 4Runner they have glass from my knowledge. You should be able to polish it. I bought an OE to replace one of mine that was cracked from a rock and it was $180 from Toyota. It is still in the garage one day I'll get around to changing it. But I think since it is glass polishing is a possibility.

Aaron
Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM

it most def is glass. i was hoping to just replace the glass lens but doesnt seem to be an option. the new lens is so clean looking and i wasnt sure if there was a way to get teh worn one looking new since it is glass after all
Old 11-24-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dallison
it most def is glass. i was hoping to just replace the glass lens but doesnt seem to be an option. the new lens is so clean looking and i wasnt sure if there was a way to get teh worn one looking new since it is glass after all
Well never mind then. I guess I was thinking of the Tacoma's plastic headlights. Maybe the headlights are sealed units so they don't make replacement lenses. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
All toyota headlights are "sealed" so you cannot replace just the lense. You have to replace the lens/housing assy. You can get them seperate from the mount bucket, but its a PITA to change.

As for the Ebay cheapo junk, i would not reccomend it. The parts dont fight right, and the glass is thinner and of lower quality than oem. The Aftermarket Taiwan built lens will also yellow and fade much faster than your other new OEM one.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:44 PM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
The parts dont fight right, and the glass is thinner and of lower quality than oem.
Haha. That actually sounds like something Toyota would cook up! With what I just went through changing driveline fluids, they did put up a FIGHT! Although, to my knowledge, they fought right...
Old 11-24-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may sound weird but i cant recall were i heard this but rub alittle toothpaste with alittle elbow grease and it supposed to clear up the fading of the lense.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM

Contact Jason Burtman, he'll help you out. His products are high quality.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:59 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
Haha. That actually sounds like something Toyota would cook up! With what I just went through changing driveline fluids, they did put up a FIGHT! Although, to my knowledge, they fought right...
Lol i meant fit. Dont know why I added those extra letters. Its this laptop.

The aftermarket parts dont FIT right. Often times you have to modify the mount bucket just to make it fit right on the core support. To top that off, the dimensions of the glass are off soo the body lines and light lines do not match up.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 PM
Staff

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Contact Jason Burtman, he'll help you out. His products are high quality.
No offense, but he is just a middle man. He doesn't built his own lights, its all the same taiwan stuff that you can get elsewhere, just with a price jack.

For the record, all the "features" of the lights are on ALL replacement lights. They are all DOT approved, all clamin to be "good as OEM" quality, etc etc. Its really just all about the wording.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:10 PM

Here's why I'd go with Burtman before Ebay or some other company. Just check this thread

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/a...s-suck-130280/

Or maybe you've already seen it.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Staff

I have seen it.

Eagle eyes are the cheap of the cheap. thats why they sucked (that poor guy got WAY ripped off)

Burtman is prolly selling a better quality aftermarket one. My point still is that nothing beats OEM, unless speficially designed to be a "performance" or "improvment" part.

I would go with Burtman before Ebay as well, I agree with you there. Higher quality, and customer service speaks volumes.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:25 AM

interesting info, looks like the ebay ones look similar but the beam apttern is crap. i'll have to pm burtman, i think i will call the place where we had the work done to see how much they would sell the passenger side.

we have had a few vehicles done there before and they may get us a decent price, i am hoping for their cost but you never know

the brand they put in there is tyc, and the mirrored pattern is a little different than the oem, i havent driven it at night yet but i will check
Old 11-25-2007, 05:56 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They sell kits to redo them... But a quick fix is rubbing compound..
Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Staff

Originally Posted by dallison
interesting info, looks like the ebay ones look similar but the beam apttern is crap. i'll have to pm burtman, i think i will call the place where we had the work done to see how much they would sell the passenger side.

we have had a few vehicles done there before and they may get us a decent price, i am hoping for their cost but you never know

the brand they put in there is tyc, and the mirrored pattern is a little different than the oem, i havent driven it at night yet but i will check

TYC is one step above eagle eyes for aftermarket. I will never let a "shop" put any aftermarket parts in my truck. If you want the passenger side to made the drivers, you will have to get another TYC light. Then the beam patterns (though not very great) and the glass will match.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i used to "restore" headlights in a couple different ways:

the parts manager at the dealership i work at thought it would be a good idea to buy a whole case of some headlight restorer from a company called "Wynn's, product was called "headlight restorer, part no 10072". it had a cleaner, then some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper, some compound looking stuff (kinda looked like toothpaste without the minty smell), and some clear liquid that was like a runny nail polish. first you would clean the light off, wet sand with the 1500, wet sand with the 2000, then rub the compound stuff on there, clean off again, and apply the clear sealant liquid with a foam brush in two light coats with the lights turned on to help it dry faster. although it looked OK after, i tried my own technique and it looked better.

clean the headlight off to remove any dirt/debris. wet sand with 1500, then wet sand with 2000, then up to 2500 if you're anal like me. if the headlight was really rough and had that nasty yellow stuff all over, i would start slowly with 800 just to speed the process. so after the 2500, i whip out my handy buffer, and used a mild compound, then finish with a polish. then put a coat of wax on to protect and it was done. since i didn't use the nail polish stuff in the kit, i didn't get the streaks or hazy look like i would with the kit.

i know not everyone has a buffer and several different compounds and polishes, but that is what i used on my own car or people i liked; company cars got the crap they wanted me to use. i will say that i only did this on one car with glass headlights, everything else had the plastic ones that would oxidize or get sandblasted in a couple years. i think the glass holds up better but that depends on your location, climate and weather conditions.

hope this helps you in your quest to have clear headlights again
patrick

Last edited by pattycakes77; 11-27-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by CJM
They sell kits to redo them... But a quick fix is rubbing compound..
i will try this 1st since it is cheaper