General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Rear transfer case touching crossmember

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear transfer case touching crossmember

i noticed my rear transfer case is sitting on my crossmember right behind the drain plug. what can be causing this. I can push up on my t case and it will move an inch up and down. so will be changing the t case mount soon. The mount doesn't look that bad. Is there another reason why my transfer case is touching crossmember? Which transfer case mounts are you guys running? Should i get v6 oem version or a polyurethane 4 cylinder mount. i heard you can run either or. I'm running dual cases with a trail gear crossmember. Any input helps thanks!

Last edited by 84crawler; 05-14-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:57 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you are using stock mounts with duals the torque tends to tear them up. You had one mount for both cases correct?
I like the mounts made by 4xinnovations. It is weird how Trail Gear came out with theirs a few months after 4xinnovations did.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
If you are using stock mounts with duals the torque tends to tear them up. You had one mount for both cases correct?
I like the mounts made by 4xinnovations. It is weird how Trail Gear came out with theirs a few months after 4xinnovations did.
yeah stock mounts. I'm running one mount. how much vibration do you have with 4xinnovations mount? i know polyurethane mounts are more solid than stock.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 84crawler
yeah stock mounts. I'm running one mount. how much vibration do you have with 4xinnovations mount? i know polyurethane mounts are more solid than stock.
why so concerned about vibrations? If you shred your mounts on the trail it's a PITA. What are you running for motor mounts?

I ran 2 V6 mounts for a long time. Shimmed the rear one with a piece of aluminum. But after awhile the slop was too much. Replaced with a TG mount, was ordering other things with free shipping. My motor mounts are drilled out with a hardened 1/2 bolt through them to brackets on motor. So I definitely have more vibes than when stock. But I didn't built my yota to be stock. Still does 70-75mph. Vibes put the kids to sleep my 18y/o gets knocked out like ambien still. You can use a limiting chain on motor mount to keep stock mounts, which should make it a little better.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 84crawler
notice how there is a set of holes in the cross member for mount for each T/C? you need one mount for each transfercase. It vibrated but i didn't really care since i was running MT's the whole truck had vibrations. I ran them in my 81 for 7-8 years. They are still in good shape, eventually the mounts and my duals will end up in my 94
you can probably buy T-G's mount and save a few bucks..but I like giving business to the little guy sometimes
Old 05-15-2017, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
why so concerned about vibrations? If you shred your mounts on the trail it's a PITA. What are you running for motor mounts?

I ran 2 V6 mounts for a long time. Shimmed the rear one with a piece of aluminum. But after awhile the slop was too much. Replaced with a TG mount, was ordering other things with free shipping. My motor mounts are drilled out with a hardened 1/2 bolt through them to brackets on motor. So I definitely have more vibes than when stock. But I didn't built my yota to be stock. Still does 70-75mph. Vibes put the kids to sleep my 18y/o gets knocked out like ambien still. You can use a limiting chain on motor mount to keep stock mounts, which should make it a little better.
I'm running stock motor mounts. Yeah your right i shouldn't be worried about vibration. im looking at getting a 4x innovations or lockt up 4x4 mounts. i got to try something different than TG.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
notice how there is a set of holes in the cross member for mount for each T/C? you need one mount for each transfercase. It vibrated but i didn't really care since i was running MT's the whole truck had vibrations. I ran them in my 81 for 7-8 years. They are still in good shape, eventually the mounts and my duals will end up in my 94
you can probably buy T-G's mount and save a few bucks..but I like giving business to the little guy sometimes
my crossmember doesn't have a set of holes for a rear T/C mount, just for the front. The TG mounts are actually more money. ill probably go with 4xinnovations.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You can save some money and vibes by using a limiting chain on driver side motor mount and stock motor mounts. Go through engine side motor mount bracket and around frame. With mine in double low on obstacles the engine likes to rotate. I should have tack welded nut on bolt going through my motor mounts as they loosen from time to time. Hard to reach with motor installed. By when bolt is tight and HD TC mount the drive train stays in place in double low. With the to stock TC mounts they got soft after years and allowed drivetrain to slop around