General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

mounting a winch backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mounting a winch backwards?

due to some clearance issues with my grill im debating mounting the winch on my truck backwards, then rewinding the cable so that it still feeds out from the bottom of the winch. does anybody have any insight or ideas about this? im fairly sure that if i rewind the cable in the opposite direction and use the normal pull in setting on the remote it will still pull the cable in

help me out with some info here, anybody tried this before?
Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like it might work. as long as "in" is still "in"
Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Check the manual for your winch, or check with the manufacturer. I seem to remember my Warn winch being very particular about which direction the cable was wound around the drum. That may only be because they want to make sure that your in button actually pulls the cable in and the out button lets it out, but it may also have something to do with the design of the gear box in that the gears are stronger in the "in" direction, sort of like differential gears being stronger in the forward direction (but I doubt it because I think winch gears are straight cut planetary gears, usually).

All that to say that you might be OK doing it, but I would check with the manufacturer first.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:40 AM

do you have a receiver hitch on the bumper? if you do, you could mount it on a cradle and keep it inside. also, if you do that you can put it on the back when you need to pull yourself out backwards.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM

yeah i like the receiver mounting better but the way everything played out i ended up with a bumper that has a winch plate so its goin there for now.

ive already completely dissasembled the winch once, both sets of planetarys and ring/sun gears are straight cut not helical and dont really seem to have a contact patern. the only thing i could see being a problem is that maybe the mounting is stronger in the forward direction, time will tell i suppose