General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Forced Air Velocity Stacked Deck-Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:39 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by sebastianholmes
yes the truck will keep running with your hand over the hole, its an airbox its made to keep it running with the intake is covered by things like water. if you held it there for 5 and there was an airtight seal around your hand and it kept running then yea id say its not airtight. otherwise i think its got a pretty good seal.
That was my point. I could keep my hand there all day and it would keep running. The airbox is NOT airtight. And if you get that much water up that close the the airbox it WILL suck it in. But thats a completely different topic

The point is, the airbox isn't sealed so even IF the fan could push enough air for forced induction, it wouldn't make a difference.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
That was my point. I could keep my hand there all day and it would keep running. The airbox is NOT airtight. And if you get that much water up that close the the airbox it WILL suck it in. But thats a completely different topic

The point is, the airbox isn't sealed so even IF the fan could push enough air for forced induction, it wouldn't make a difference.
alright i wasnt sure if thats what you meant. never checked to see if the box was airtight. and yea that does make a fan completely pointless. just get a real TRD supercharger

and i know the airbox will suck water in. had to scoop a little out once lol
Old 04-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, as there's an initial drop in pressure at the instant the throttle-plate opens (created by the mechanical pumping action from the engine - the suck), so the little fan that might could serve to compensate for that pressure drop, essentially improving low-end throttle response. That fan will run out of mustard pretty quick, though, so I can't see any improvement beyond improved tip-in. Did dyno results appear anywhere in this thread?

As for the stack mod being dyno-proven, it was very dyno'd, with scientific method all over the place. Stop being a doubter.

Whether or not the airbox is airtight (which it ain't), how much does it bleed versus the air headed in?

STICK
Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SharpStick
Hmmm, as there's an initial drop in pressure at the instant the throttle-plate opens (created by the mechanical pumping action from the engine - the suck),
The pressure in the intake is lowest (vacuum) when the throttle plates are closed. As soon as they open, manifold pressure increases. I don't know what you're talking about with "drop in pressure."

so the little fan that might could serve to compensate for that pressure drop, essentially improving low-end throttle response. That fan will run out of mustard pretty quick, though, so I can't see any improvement beyond improved tip-in.
That fan is incapable of generating any pressure differential. It doesn't have the power or flow rate required.

Did dyno results appear anywhere in this thread?
They didn't. And for good reason- any gains would only be comparable to that of a plain jane deckplate mod.

As for the stack mod being dyno-proven, it was very dyno'd, with scientific method all over the place. Stop being a doubter.
Please provide an example of your "scientific method all over the place." Specifically, provide proof a velocity stack will do anything when placed before the air filter in the intake of a fuel injected engine.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:41 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
Please provide an example of your "scientific method all over the place." Specifically, provide proof a velocity stack will do anything when placed before the air filter in the intake of a fuel injected engine.

This.

Also, this ridiculous thread has gone on long enough without any proof.

Lets see some proof, or I am going to close the thread for misleading/incorrect information.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

For those that are unaware, the REAL reason velocity stacks have the curved intake isn't because it increases velocity. The radius prevents an eddy from forming at the corner of the intake, which reduces the effective hydraulic diameter of the pipe. Of course a 4" intake is large enough that this isn't an issue in our case anyway...

In the case of a 4" diamter pipe, you need a curve radius of about 1/2" to prevent eddys from occurring, but even if they do occur it isn't a large enough effect to affect the intake's resistance compared to say sucking air through the filter.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pwned.

Fink
Old 04-27-2011, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fink
pwned.

Fink
Indeed.