General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Does anyone regret deleting the EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone regret deleting the EGR?

I'm about to order a header, and I have to decide if I want to keep the EGR or not. I like the simplicity of deleting the EGR, one less this thing to clog or break, but I also understand the mileage and emissions benefits of leaving it on. It was designed that way by engineers much smarter than me, afterall. So I want to ask, does anyone regret deleting the EGR, particularly in the long run?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nope ive heard allot and read allot and seen what people said, I dont run it, it doesnt last forever, and its one more thing clogging up your engine bay. some say burnt valves Numerouse people have said theyve never seen one. delete it. you will not notice any difference. keep it same. they put all that on for emissions im in michigan we dont do smog and most cars do not have cats or working egr and are still running

Last edited by tgmaul88; 09-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM

nope,really cleaning up and simplifying the engine bay is about the only benefit.i like simple...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
personally, i'm one of those in belief that we trash this planet every day with little things we do, so every step to preserve it is a GOOD thing no matter how small it is. leave it alone - it was designed to be there for a reason.
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (12-17-2019)
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Basically I think it's like all the other emissions stuff. When functioning properly, it is good, and a good thing for the engine. But on any older truck, it is NOT functioning properly. It's clogged up. Meaning it's already deleted. If youre lucky, the valve clogged and got stuck closed. If you're unlucky, it clogged and got stuck open. You'd know this from terrible gas mileage, performance, and possibly even your truck not starting.

I think in the scheme of things, the egr valve is very minor when it comes to the environment. I do what I can in the rest of my life. If I really wanted to help save the planet I'd get rid of my truck. I mean honestly on a offroad truck forum, talking about keeping an egr for environmental reasons is like a coal extraction company donating .02% of their proceeds to an environmental cause. Not a perfect analogy, I know...but we're driving trucks, out in the woods and desert and mud. I'm sure a lot of us do a lot of things in the rest of our life, and "tread lightly", but really...

I keep my truck well tuned and in good running order, with as little oil leaks as possible. That's as much as I can do for the environment and still drive a gasoline engine truck.

Anyone on this site with a 90's or older vehicle has a clogged, and therefore deleted egr valve or system, unless they've gone in there and done some serious work to clean it out, is my guess.

When I tried to clean mine out, it wasn't just the valve. I got it cleaned after soaking and scrubbing it for days. But the entire pipe going over to the exaust was full of carbon buildup. And I mean full; completely restricted, as were the ports going into the exhaust.

Last edited by 83; 09-20-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

What he said and it cleans up the engine bay. Eco-friendly and toyota 4x4 don't go together. Do what you can but don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 AM

this has made me want to delete mine
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 AM

with statistics I would not delete the egr on 22re I would only do it on the 22r motor. the 22re kinda likes it (if its not already clogged)
Old 09-20-2012, 11:53 AM

I've been doing some searching on that myself, wondering if I should delete mine. A lot of the information I've found has said that the engine will run hotter, but it will also run a lot smoother too. Most people don't seem to worry about it running hotter because it's not THAT much hotter. What I'm still wondering is whether it might cause problems with the exhaust....more specifically, the catalytic converter. Anybody had any problems with this?

I'm a big fan of a cleaner, simpler engine bay myself. I've decided I'm going to delete mine when I have time (I'm going to try just putting the caps on everything and leaving it there for a while just to make sure it doesn't cause me any problems). If everything goes ok I'll remove the EGR completely and get it out of the way. If I have problems with the engine running hot I'll end up swapping the stock 2-core radiator with a 3-core unit. I also want to upgrade the exhaust with a complete systems (header included) so a new cat will come with that also. Haha, one upgrade leads to another, right?
Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 PM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Didn't do any harm to my truck. I browsed through epic threads on Pirate about this...strong feelings both ways. Do what you want. I tend to agree that engines are built to run a certain way, and you should keep them running that way. If they were built to have an egr, it's probably a good idea to keep it. But since they typically aren't going to function properly after 100,000 miles or so anyways...I say screw it.

My truck runs no hotter. Trucks didn't used to have egrs...which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but I think, at least with the earlier models like the 20 and 22r, it really doesn't make much difference. My egr is just disconnected. I made sure it was closed, then just plugged all the hoses with golf tees. Someday I might actually do a real block-off and get rid of it...but for now, this works fine. Been that way for a couple years, actually...

My truck runs nice & cool.

Last edited by 83; 09-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Only due to the fact I can no longer use the vehicle on the street as It will not pass the emissions inspection.It does not have to work just be on the engine.

As I did not do this now I need to get all the parts.

I have been searching for awhile it looks like my only option is to buy new from the dealer. If they can still be bought.

So my 7MGTE swap in just waiting for these parts Regret For Sure
Old 09-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Wyoming9,
Egr stuff for 7mgte or a 22R? I might still have my egr stuff off my 81 22R if you need it. I believe it was a Califonia emissions setup, if that matters.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
1. Get rid of the EGR system whenever/wherever possible.

2. Why? Because it does more harm than good, through loss of engine performance(via its immediate usage and compounded over time through intake and/or combustion chamber restrictions deposited by it). Which likely causes no real benefit as far as overall NOx emissions(long term). Since even though the emissions will be cleaner short term, there will be more of them long term. Because any perfomance loss, in MPG for instance, caused by the use of an EGR system will ultimately equate to more fuel being burned in the long run. Which will most likely add up to the same amount of NOx being emitted in the long run as would have been emitted without a functioning EGR system(it's only being emitted over a slightly longer period of time with a functioning EGR system). Because the more fuel you burn, the more emissions there are from it, plain and simple. Therefore the EGR system's function is much like "robbing Peter to pay Paul". So, arguably, an EGR system doesn't even work as it's designed to.

3. How that so, exactly? Because it's a filthy, dirty, HP & MPG robbing device BY DESIGN! It's not meant to be a good thing for the engine. It's meant to lower NOx emissions...PERIOD! It's not an engine performance enhancement device, in any way shape or form. Don't be fooled by misleading statements or literature declaring otherwise. The inventors/originators of the EGR system never intended for it to be anything BUT a compromise of engine performance in return for cleaner emissions. And so THAT it does. And NOTHING more.

4. What else is there to be said about why you should delete it? The ECU will compensate for the EGR system not being there if you delete it. The knock sensor is there to prevent knocking, so no, the engine's not going to start knocking if you delete it(not for long anyway). And if the ECU is programmed to enhance performance while the EGR system's being used, THAT MEANS IT WILL STILL HAVE THE EFFECT OF FURTHER ENHANCING PERFORMANCE AFTER IT'S BEEN DELETED. Since, the ECU doesn't know, or rather care, if the EGR is system is there/functioning or not(except in cases where there's an EGR gas temp sensor that will give you a warning/heads up that it isn't). So you will automatically gain any HP & MPG lost through its usage by deleting it from the engine. As well as preserving any HP & MPG(gained through EGR deletion or not) by preventing the build-up of EGR poo in your intake and/or combustion chambers.

5. If those aren't the reasons many engines these days don't have EGR systems...THEN WHAT ARE? Don't answer that, it's rhetorical(as in...I'm telling you how it is, and you're not telling me nothin', since I already know).

6. No I don't regret deleting mine. Not in the least. What am I, an idiot? Of course not...

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-20-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM

^^^

Thanks for clearing that up.
The following users liked this post:
Calderfh (12-07-2023)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
carbon build up from my egr system cause my bearings to fail in my 89 22re. i do not run an egr system in any of my vehicles.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM

Awesome responses; made my decision really easy!

Smog isn't an issue for me; by the time the EGR is gone my truck will be emissions exempt. For that same reason I'm not concerned about any damage it could do my cat; it's going bye-bye too! 83 nailed it on the environment thing.

If the engine runs a little hotter, I think I already have that covered, too. I've already upgraded to a 3-core all aluminum radiator, and exhaust will be all new 2.25" pipe front to back. Should be able to beat the heat.

tgmaul88- even if the 22RE likes a working EGR, that's also a moot point because it's not going on a 22RE. I'm ordering a 3RZ header in preparation for a swap. I dunno if that changes anything....
Old 09-21-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
does it really run hotter? i have never seen my temp gauge rise past half, and that includes driving it unloaded or with a horse trailer slap full of crap.

Last edited by Terrys87; 03-21-2016 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
I have taken the EGR valves off of both of my trucks and it helped them out a TON. Better fuel economy better performance in the truck. rip it off and dont look back
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM

so your going to convert to 3rz? so your questions about 3 rz egr?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by tgmaul88
so your going to convert to 3rz? so your questions about 3 rz egr?
I purposely did not mention a specific engine in the original post because I was hoping there would be a general consensus about EGRs in general, and if a 22RE owner had a bad experience I want to hear it. I was hoping/assuming all Toyota I4s behaved similarly.

Last edited by Zelephant; 09-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone regret deleting the EGR?