General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Changing front E-brake cable

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face Changing front E-brake cable

Being this is something That gets done less often then the rest of the brake system repairs.

It is sometimes hard to remember just how to do one between times.

Since both the FSM and the Haynes book are pretty poor at the description of doing this.

It tells you to release the pawl that retains the lever when it is pulled out.

One thing they don`t tell you is to get my big hands to any place close I need to drop the lower dash trim . This is the piece with the dimmer for the dash lights.

Once this is off it is a simple job to release the pawl by pushing forward this allows the handle to go all the way forward to remove the cable once the aluminum block with the pulley is unbolted. (to M8 flange nuts) These are on the engine side of the firewall Cable is also removed from the engine side.

The cable is held in place by 2 clips one on the aluminum block the other just before the intermediate lever. Not a bad idea to have new clips I have bad luck with the little pieces.

With other attachment points that in these old vehicles in the greater salt belt most often just break off.

I just use black cable ties to secure the new cable:jessica: