General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Best Frame Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Frame Treatment

What is the best thing to put on your frame before rebuilding your truck? Rubberized Undercoat? Paint? I would want to preserve my frame as long as possible, so what procedure is best? Anything keep out nasty salt and crud or are they beasts that can't be tamed?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

POR-15
Old 05-07-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Por-15.

MAKE SURE, you follow POR-15's directions (you will need their marine clean degreaser and their metal ready to help prep the surface for the POR-15 paint) and your frame will last forever virtually (or your lifetime anyways).

The process is simple

1. Degrease the surface with Marine clean

2. Etch it with their metal ready

3. Paint the POR-15 paint on, let dry obviously.

4. IF any areas of your frame will regularly be exposed to sunlight, get their top coat paint to go over top of the POR-15 paint as POR-15 paint itself is UV sensitive, but if you top coat it it with the top coat paint POR-15 sells you won't have any issues what so ever.

You're looking to spend a bit of $$$$ but it will be done, and done properly.

Last edited by CoedNaked; 05-07-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:48 PM

Wow! Thanks, never knew that a product like that even existed! Sounds awesome and regardless of the *relatively* high price, if it saves my frame it's good by me! I just wonder what they mean by "exposed to sunlight"? Would they consider a frame is going to be exposed? Or should I just Topcoat it to be safe?
Old 05-07-2006, 07:59 PM

I would personally just top coat it to be safe. It's extra insurance and the top coat isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

I"ve used this stuff to treat my fender lip underneath the trim and it's awesome. Don't get it on your skin though as only "time takes it off." (IE you'll have it on your skin for about 2 weeks). I ordered it from POR-15 Canada which is based in Quebec (I live in BC like yourself). The shipping was prompt, and on time, and overall no issues.
POR-15 Canada has it's own website where you can order online or call them up toll free and order from them.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:03 PM

Here's the website: http://www.por15canada.com/

Also, unless you actually prefer to "spray", I would just brush it on. Not that it matters because it's your frame, but it looks the same as the sprayed product when it dries.
(It doesn't show brush marks).
Old 05-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Also, search the forum with the terms "por-15" and "por15".
Theres a few threads with lots of info regarding the product from other members including myself.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 PM

POR-15 sucks. There are better quality products out there from Eastwood and others. I've spend hundreds of $$ on POR-15 and have been horribly unhappy. Keep in mind that this product, like powdercoating, bonds to itself better than metal, so if it gets scratched water will actually weep between the coating and the frame.

A better solution, though more costly, is to sandblast the frame, primer with a self etching primer and coat with a number of coats of a high quality paint. Yes, getting inside the frame is difficult, but it's doable.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 PM

rockota - there are still drops of POR-15 paint on my concrete carport outside from when I did the treatment last Summer. And I have pressure washed that carport concrete a bunch of times.

I think if you follow the directions to a tee, you will be extremely happy with POR-15. The instructions are quite specific but very easy to follow. A little elbow grease and attention to detail and your frame will last longer than you.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
rockota - there are still drops of POR-15 paint on my concrete carport outside from when I did the treatment last Summer. And I have pressure washed that carport concrete a bunch of times.

I think if you follow the directions to a tee, you will be extremely happy with POR-15. The instructions are quite specific but very easy to follow. A little elbow grease and attention to detail and your frame will last longer than you.
Again, I disagree. I've used this stuff plenty of times on numerous vehicles, following the cleaning and prepping instructions to a T. It just doesn't work that well.

I did the entire frame on my 85, the entire bottom of the tub, the inside of the tub, the inside of a brand-new tailgate, inside of the rear fenders and doors. All instructions followed precisely (I'm very anal at times). The truck went through ONE Winter like that and was then parked and driven only in the summers. From a distance, it looked nice, but underneath it was a mess. Once POR-15's surface is compromised, it will peel and water will get between the coating and the surface. That's just an unfortnate fact of life. Powder coating has the same problem.

BTW - that 85. I looked at it a year and a half ago (had sold it back to the original owner). The tailgate was rusted out, rear fenders worse than ever, doors were holding their own...

I firmly believe their are better products. But to each their own.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:36 PM
KLF

Put me in the "POR15 Sucks" catagory too. Yes, I followed the directions EXACTLY. The crap still bubbled up and flaked off eventually.

It's just not that great. Certainly no better than Rustoleum, which you can buy all over the place in cheap rattle cans. I threw away too much of that overpriced POR-15 after it hardened in the can, I'll never buy it again.

Best rust preventative? Spray down your undercarraige with 90W gear lube twice a year. My '87 pickup has had this treatment for about 10 years now. If I clean off the resulting film, I could still wax the factory paint job.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by KLF
Put me in the "POR15 Sucks" catagory too. Yes, I followed the directions EXACTLY. The crap still bubbled up and flaked off eventually.

It's just not that great. Certainly no better than Rustoleum, which you can buy all over the place in cheap rattle cans. I threw away too much of that overpriced POR-15 after it hardened in the can, I'll never buy it again.

Best rust preventative? Spray down your undercarraige with 90W gear lube twice a year. My '87 pickup has had this treatment for about 10 years now. If I clean off the resulting film, I could still wax the factory paint job.