General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

bed liners

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bed liners

I want to get my bed done in either a spray in or roll on bed liner. What are some experiences that everyones had?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine Sprayed and LOVE IT!!!!

I have an '85, so it has the inner bed walls. I made sure to have them pull those out before they sprayed. Which also meant they sprayed behind them some too! I'm glad I did, they don't normally do this and it makes getting the panels out again difficult if you need too, as well as Shtuff builds up behind there and can rust out the bed.

This isn't an issue for you with a 1st gen though. I would say, go to a reputable shop and have it sprayed. But it is a little more expensive.
If you can get RINO, it's the Best! But the cheaper one I got works too. You just have to make sure they aren't skimping on the prep! I believe that is the main reason for the price difference.

I do know people that have gotten the roll-in type and done it themselves. This works just fine, but make sure you prep the bed very well before you do it. Including thoroughly sanding anywhere you are coating with the liner.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide and how it works out!
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would spray again if i got another chance. Roll on yourself is a hella lot of work to get preped and its still not as durable as spray.
I rolled the cab of an 83 ful size chevy 4x4. I did the floosr and behind the cab and kick panels inside. It works very well on the interior but damn it was a lot of prep to get right to roll. I could drop a wrench on it and it held up.
My Z71 is sprayed and it is super tough its been done for about 9 years now.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 AM

Get Herculiner and do it yourself. Sure sprayed might look a little better and be a tad more durable but the pride you'll have working on your truck and the satisfaction of saving all that money towards something else is better in my opinion. Its not all that hard I had mine done within a day. Its alot easier to scuff if you get the drill and wire wheel out instead of the cheap scuffer they give you. Mine has been on 2 years now and I have hauled aluminum scraps, hay, mulch, and shale and other than being a little faded which can be rectified by buying the protectant. It is looking the same as it did when i put it on.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:45 AM

If you have an angle grinder, get a wire wheel for it. That'll go better and faster than a wire wheel in the drill.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by grant526
If you can get RINO, it's the Best!
All the rhino liner that i have ever seen has peeled on the bed mount bolts, so i wouldn't want to get that. Spray would be nice, a bunch of my buddies are going to get their trucks sprayed and therefor getting a dicount, but i don't know if i am yet or not. but keep the bed liner storys coming.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Banned

On a 20 year old truck, WHY bother getting a bedliner that costs half of what the truck did? My paintjob was destroyed and about 15$ later its flat black, and I did herculiner, and it looks absolutely fantastic, took me an hour to sand and prep the bed, and a night to roll it on, get yerself a six pack, roll it on, drink a few beers, watch some Miami Vice, and go put another coat on, then go do whatever, and take the tape off the next day. Easy. Cost me 100$, I got the kit, nabbed a few paint roller trays for the liner, and "borrowed" some tape and paper from work.

Last edited by Trustyrusty; 11-03-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM

where could people get the do it your self stuff?
Old 11-09-2008, 02:17 PM

here is a link to another topic like this, just for some more input. The only problem with DIY bedliners is the formula for the actual product, its not as good as what spray on companies use. However there are exceptions, such as hippo liner, it has an activator and is UV resistant. Also, gator guard, which i have used myself, and i am VERY impressed with, much better than herculiner or equivalent, i have also used herculiner, and it does well, you just have to put it on THICK. That said, 4 coats, it will be an all day process but anything less and it will be to thin, and you won't really be happy, trust me i know....
Old 11-15-2008, 04:18 AM

In Canada, we have a comany called Linex. VERY GOOD stuff. Expensive, about $1000-1500 for a truck box. I have talked to guys that regularly haul brick and concrete in their business vehicles, they POUND it with stone regularly, and it still holds. Good stuff, but expensive.

I bought black rubberized rockerguard, and used that to paint my rims and body. Holds up well to scratches and stuff, but fades quickly. The rims I recoated with tremclad gloss, and they look very nice. Have to recoat the body now but am also considering other options.

I saw an S10 with rhino liner on the whole truck, looked wierd for a 2wd truck, but for an offroad truck, would look killer. Was rolled on, so it had a awesome stippled look. Do that, then recoat with a Camo paint job would be really nice. Might be my next project.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 AM

buy a "chop" gun or undercoating gun and spray it on yourself you can get any product you like and put it in the sprayer the gun is pretty cheap and product isnt much either it is still way cheaper than having someone else do it, the prep that you put in before you spray it on is really what is going to determine the finished product.