General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

anyone try CA40G fuel additive?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone try CA40G fuel additive?

NOTE: I am not associated with this product in anyway. I'm just a prospective consumer looking for input.

http://www.ca40g.com

I heard a very interesting conversation with one of the engineers of the product on the Ed Shultz show. Has anyone tried it?

Before you bash...read this description.
One of the major components of CA-40 is calcium sulfonate. Calcium sulfonate is used in the best greases, and is the second best metallic lubricant on the planet. The problem with calcium has been keeping it in suspension. Until now.

Our patented CA-40 fuel treatment keeps calcium in suspension through a unique blending process. When CA-40 is added to fuel the calcium bonds to hydrocarbons within the fuel causing a more efficient burn of the fuel. What this means to consumers is increased fuel efficiency, increased lubricity, and a decrease in harmful emissions.

Combustion Enhancement
CA40 is different from other additives in that it is not a solvent. In addition to being a superior lubricant it is actually a combustion enhancer. CA40 has an ability to suspend in and tie itself to the hydrocarbons in fuels.

Usually only about half of the hydrocarbons in fuel are burned in an internal combustion engine. Combustion enhancement is attained through further oxidation of the un-burnt hydrocarbons in the fuel. There are three things that are needed in combustion: fuel, oxygen and ignition. CA40 suspends within the hydrocarbons and further allows oxygen and fuel to be held together (fuel and oxygen). The third component of ignition is accomplished due to the thermo-electric and Piezo-electric properties of the calcium in CA40. When combustion occurs in the engine the heat and pressure causes the electrons in the calcium to accelerate. This acceleration provides the ignition (spark) in the proximity of the hydrocarbons resulting in further oxidation (burning) of the hydrocarbons. The end result is a longer stronger push during the power stroke.

CA-40 does not take fuel out of specifications
- CA-40 does not change Octane or Cetane, but uses it more efficiently, giving a longer stronger push on the piston.
- Independent testing indicated that CA-40 did not take gasoline out of specifications.
Environmentally Safe
- All ingredients in CA-40 are environmentally friendly.

CA-40
Backed by a $2 million insurance policy
Old 08-23-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

instead of that, run a tank or two of high octane. For the extra $3-4, you'll get better results than using any kind of additive.

Or you can seafoam the engine.

Also, I usually only run name brand gas because of the detergents they contain. I've had bad luck with off-brand gas.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 PM

more specifically, Let's address this:
Originally Posted by elnido

CA40 is different from other additives in that it is not a solvent. In addition to being a superior lubricant it is actually a combustion enhancer. CA40 has an ability to suspend in and tie itself to the hydrocarbons in fuels.

Usually only about half of the hydrocarbons in fuel are burned in an internal combustion engine. Combustion enhancement is attained through further oxidation of the un-burnt hydrocarbons in the fuel. There are three things that are needed in combustion: fuel, oxygen and ignition. CA40 suspends within the hydrocarbons and further allows oxygen and fuel to be held together (fuel and oxygen).
My interest in this is to waste less fuel (along with better driving habits and using a 4-banger for a daily driver when possible).
Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

more specifically, Let's address this:

My interest in this is to waste less fuel (along with better driving habits and using a 4-banger for a daily driver when possible).
there's no oxygen in fuel. The oxygen is added via air intakes.

If there's ANY better economy given by that additive, it's more likely that the additive will cost more than you'll save.

Use good gas, throw in a good tank of higher octane every now and then, make sure your ignition timing is set right, your plugs and wires are good, your air filter and fuel filters are clean, and your oil is changed with a fresh filter. And proper tire pressure.

Not a whole lot more you can do, man.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chimmike

If there's ANY better economy given by that additive, it's more likely that the additive will cost more than you'll save.

Use good gas, throw in a good tank of higher octane every now and then, make sure your ignition timing is set right, your plugs and wires are good, your air filter and fuel filters are clean, and your oil is changed with a fresh filter. And proper tire pressure.

Not a whole lot more you can do, man.
And what do you think the higher octane does for you ?

Fred
Old 08-24-2007, 04:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
And what do you think the higher octane does for you ?

Fred

Higher octane fuels generally contain more detergents than the low octane counterparts along with a few more additives. These will help clean the fuel system and reduce chances of knock while crap is being pushed through.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

I run a tank of 91 about every 4 months and then use a can of BG's44k once a year.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 AM

Higher octane fuels generally contain more detergents than the low octane counterparts along with a few more additives. These will help clean the fuel system and reduce chances of knock while crap is being pushed through.
No really, as far as the additional cleaners are concerned.

Also, for those that are saying stick with brand name gasoline so that you don't get "bad gas", all gas, branded or not, is usually pumped from the same truck.
Watch a gas truck sometime. It'll off load fuel at branded and non-branded stations on the same run.
The additives are added at the time it's loaded into the stations fuel storage tanks. The gasoline itself, is the same.

Fred
Old 08-24-2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I run a tank of 91 about every 4 months and then use a can of BG's44k once a year.
BG's 44K is simply the best thing that one can do.
I run a can through every 6 months or so.

Also, Mopars Combustion Chamber Cleaner is top notch.
Seafoam doesn't really do anything to the combustion chamber, contrary to the love affair that so many here seem to have to it

The Mopar stuff works and will/does clean the combustion chamber.

Fred
Old 08-24-2007, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by FredTJ
No really, as far as the additional cleaners are concerned.

Also, for those that are saying stick with brand name gasoline so that you don't get "bad gas", all gas, branded or not, is usually pumped from the same truck.
Watch a gas truck sometime. It'll off load fuel at branded and non-branded stations on the same run.
The additives are added at the time it's loaded into the stations fuel storage tanks. The gasoline itself, is the same.

Ever drive a high performance car that REQUIRES high octane gas?

I had a 400whp turbo 350z not too long ago. I HAD to run 93 octane in that car. I could tell a VERY noticeable difference in how the motor ran on name brand gas and off brand gas. This whole "it comes from the same truck" thing is a myth, and I completely disagree with it.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:15 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wrong.

Read the side of the gas pump sometime. Most all fuel is oxygenated now to help reduce emissions.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 PM

So, no one has tried CA40g yet? I can't believe I'd be the first on this forum. For $30 a quart, I'll give it a shot. I run it in the T100 and the Saab and report back. It may be a while for the truck, I only use it for fun.
As for the T100, right now I'm getting about 18mpg mountain/hwy driving if I'm lucky. I'll try to average the results over a few tanks.

Pricing and Mix Ratio

Mix Ratio:

1 ounce CA-40 to 15-20 gallons fuel
Fuels include Gasoline, Diesel, Bio-Diesel, and Ethanol Fuels (E-85)

Pricing: (prices do not include tax or shipping)

Quantity
Amount
1 Quart $30.00
1 Gallon $100.00
1 Case (12 Quarts) $340.00
1 Case (4 Gallons) $375.00
* 1 Gallon of CA-40 treats roughly 2000 - 2500 gallons of fuel
Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM

Ever drive a high performance car that REQUIRES high octane gas?

I had a 400whp turbo 350z not too long ago. I HAD to run 93 octane in that car. I could tell a VERY noticeable difference in how the motor ran on name brand gas and off brand gas. This whole "it comes from the same truck" thing is a myth, and I completely disagree with it.
Mate, the only place the "it comes from the same truck" is a myth is in your head.
To the rest of the world it's reality.
One of my friends works in the industry. My office at the last job was directly across the street from and gasoline storage facility and I have watched and seen it myself.
Do you really think that every brand of gasoline has their own infrastructure of pipelines ?
Any difference in performance that you saw between branded and non-branded gasoline was simply your imagination.

Octane. Yes, I know that "high performance" vehicles require high octane gas.
Do you even know why ?
Do you know what octane is ?
Do you know that constantly running high octane gasoline in a vehicle that will run on lower octane can actually cause deposit buildups ?
Do you know that, for the most power and the best mileage, you should run the lowest octane that the engine can handle ?
Do you know why (goes back to the "do you know what octane is" question) ?

Fred
Old 08-24-2007, 07:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Me, seafoam and that's it. Gas has enough additives in it already.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 PM

I saw enough negative posts (on seafoming the engine) to deter me from trying that. Anyone want to comment more on what they do know about this product?
Old 10-15-2009, 04:34 PM

I've tried it, in a 1992 Honda civic driving from San Diego up to Longview Washington and got about a 20% increase in gas milaege (from 20mpg untreated to about 24-25 mpg treated). The only hassle was finding a delivery system that wasn't messy. I ended up using a turkey baster with 1 ounce marked on the side with a sharpie to make it easier to see. My roomate was useing it in her 2004 Prius and got about the same gas mileage increase. The Quart sized bottle lasted good long while. about 30 fillups. I'd say it is worth trying. Note: your mileage may vary.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:58 PM

There are three things that are needed in combustion: fuel, oxygen and ignition.
They got that part wrong, three things needed for an engine to run are fuel (oxygen+gas or diesel), compression, and ignition. I don't know if I can trust the company if they can't even get something that simple right.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:09 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Actually, if you have enough compression, you don't need ignition.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:12 PM

yep..3 different gas stations in my town..all get their gas from the exact same tanker... seen the same thing in the town next to mine

well if people start seeing a 20% increase in mileage with this stuff....i believe i'll try some LOL..as long as it doesnt make my truck get worse mileage..i'll be ok
Old 10-15-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Actually, if you have enough compression, you don't need ignition.
this is completely true...obviously since diesel's dont have sparkplugs..lol

Quick Reply: anyone try CA40G fuel additive?