General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Any experts at shooting paint on a budget ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experts at shooting paint on a budget ?

I am thinking about having a go at painting the chrome bumpers on my 98 Limited.

I have found some good tech articles on how to paint chrome but as I have a compressor (25 gallon, 6 cfm @ 90psi ) I was wondering if I have enough cfm to be able to do some limited painting ?

Anyone have a cost effective set up ?

Thanks

David
Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ive shot a few (small) things on my HF 2 gall pancake with my smaller touchup gun.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by snap-on
ive shot a few (small) things on my HF 2 gall pancake with my smaller touchup gun.
You sir, are a rockstar

David
Old 05-15-2006, 10:23 AM

You normally don't worry about the CFMs and should be using a Low Pressure, Hi Flow gun that feeds from the top.

Paint is easy to do, it's the prep work that gets most people. Use a quality primer and a decent paint.

Lay it in light layers allowing the paint to completely dry or "tack' before shooting another coat.

Use lots of fans to keep the overspray away from your paint.

Lots more to it, but that's the basics. Also, paint on the X Y Axis to get a consistent coat and seal it with clear
Old 05-15-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by formulatoy#36
You normally don't worry about the CFMs and should be using a Low Pressure, Hi Flow gun that feeds from the top.

Paint is easy to do, it's the prep work that gets most people. Use a quality primer and a decent paint.

Lay it in light layers allowing the paint to completely dry or "tack' before shooting another coat.

Use lots of fans to keep the overspray away from your paint.

Lots more to it, but that's the basics. Also, paint on the X Y Axis to get a consistent coat and seal it with clear
Great info.

Prep should not be too bad...I am very patient and a bit of a perfectionist.

Can you give me a couple more tips on the use of fans ? I am going to screen off the end of the garage with plastic sheet. SHould I use the fans to suck the air away from the piece or blow air over it toward the opening ?

I have a respirator.

Thanks a agin,

David
Old 05-15-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by nrgetic99
Great info.

Prep should not be too bad...I am very patient and a bit of a perfectionist.

Can you give me a couple more tips on the use of fans ? I am going to screen off the end of the garage with plastic sheet. SHould I use the fans to suck the air away from the piece or blow air over it toward the opening ?

I have a respirator.

Thanks a agin,

David
Use the fans to pull the air away from the object. You should be able to shoot some spray and see it travel to the front of the vehicle. Cleanliness is next to Gawdliness when its paint.

I have a couple furnace fans hooked up to a motor..but be careful with this set up as fire could result if motors are hot and alot of paint in the air. If this is the case...simply put a furnace filter infront.

One of my very good friends has a booth in his shop and does paint on the side.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by formulatoy#36
Use the fans to pull the air away from the object. You should be able to shoot some spray and see it travel to the front of the vehicle. Cleanliness is next to Gawdliness when its paint.

I have a couple furnace fans hooked up to a motor..but be careful with this set up as fire could result if motors are hot and alot of paint in the air. If this is the case...simply put a furnace filter infront.

One of my very good friends has a booth in his shop and does paint on the side.
Cool, I have a huge box fan and was going to rig a shroud. I will use an a/c or furnace filter.

David