Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What Makes pre-1995 Toyotas Good Offroaders?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well all the axle jibber jabber aside i can at least speak from experience. My first truck was an 88 ranger 4wd v6. Loved that truck. My only problems and this is most likely due to the fact that it was my first truck is the transmission blew out after six months. That being said the little truck would wheel it's heart out and rarely get stuck. It had good power for what it was and the push button 4wd was luxury when compared to my yota. To be honest though the ranger was just weak when compared to the toyota. It left me stranded many times and was an issue when ever i wanted to go some were. I never trusted that truck and it bit me in the arse many times. Frankly by comparison the ranger was just plain ugly when compared to my toyota. The only thing i would give the old ranger is it was waaaaay more comfortable and had more power however unreliable it was. Just my two cents the toys are tougher and have a reputation because of it. They don't need a slogan like built toyota tough because it's already known by reputation.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
ET

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mightymouse
They don't need a slogan like built toyota tough because it's already known by reputation.
signature quote?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
Sorry guy, a Dana 60 is stronger (of course it is, it's HUGE). Sure, you can put $5K into a Toyota axle and get something that might be approaching the strength of a D60, but a D60 is far cheaper (and a D60 with $5K into it is just ridiculous).

I've got friends that run 40" Krawlers with 200lbs of water in them on D60's with tube buggies; a built Toyota axle would still explode, especially in the stuff they do.
I'm not denying that the D60 is a strong axle
And i didnt deny that to make a toy axle as strong as the D60 will cost a pretty penny.
Think about it, though.
If you scaled up a toyota axle, and put it up a D60.. What would win?
I vote toyota.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
I'm not denying that the D60 is a strong axle
And i didnt deny that to make a toy axle as strong as the D60 will cost a pretty penny.
Think about it, though.
I vote toyota.
Agreed, most of you talk scale until it comes out with the yota winning, whats with that? I for one agree, a scaled up toyota axle would be pretty much bomb proof. I would also like to say that yeah its great a D60 can run 40's filled with water but what does that matter when yotas with 35's will do the same stuff, going back to the original question, when all is said and done it comes down to how good a driver is, but toyota starts you off with a great drivetrain as well as trucks that are relatively simple, easy to upgrade, and rather inexpensive
Old 04-28-2010, 04:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
Think about it, though.
I vote toyota.
That's like saying a scaled up Toyota would be bigger than an Excursion- it's completely meaningless. You can't "scale up" an axle, and talking about it is useless.

Originally Posted by Yotakid23
I would also like to say that yeah its great a D60 can run 40's filled with water but what does that matter when yotas with 35's will do the same stuff.
No, it can't.

Toyota's a tough and reliable, but you can't compare them to 1-ton full size components. These guys run with Jeeps, Toyotas, etc.; the Toyota guys run fully built Toy axles and are able to break them. Dana 60's and 14-bolts don't break, even with 400 hp V-8's.

Originally Posted by Yotakid23
going back to the original question, when all is said and done it comes down to how good a driver is, but toyota starts you off with a great drivetrain as well as trucks that are relatively simple, easy to upgrade, and rather inexpensive
See all of THIS is true.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just thinking reading all of this, who is actually planning on running tons and a tire above a 37?

built toy axle isn't as strong as a 60, and not even comparison. toy axles do good on our trucks due to the light weight of the truck and low horsepower. i've seen multiple Long's or Dirty 30's break, i've seen 60's break. The 60's were a lot more entertaining to watch blow up.

A shaved 60 has about the same ground clearance of a 44. I'm planning on running shaved 60's front and rear with 5.86s and 37's when I swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 AM

heres what i'm seeing, you are comparing 1/4-1/2 ton axles to 3/4 ton axles.... a dana 35 or 44 is what is put in vehices in the same size and weight class as toyota 4runners and minitrucks.... compare d44 to a toyota axle, and it will be a more fair comparison, otherwise you could say this:

a build toy axle has got nothin on stock rockwells...

not in the same class. not the same at all. scaling and no scaling, doesnt matter. you cant compare a 1/4-1/2 ton axle to a 3/4 ton..
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 AM

anyways besides this dumb d60 vs toyota axle thing, a stock toyota is a much better truck right off the showroom floor, everything ona toyota was designed to last and work well under harsh conditions. that said there are things about them that arent so good over other trucks in its class but over all a stock yota compared to a stock ranger is a a joke lol. my grandma had this 1990 ranger 2.9 v6, what a peice of junk. my dad was telling me how it would run hot all the time and he would have to actually pull over and let it coolon hot days. my 22re 91 on the other hand has never gone past the middle oin the heat gauge and i have drivin it ona 6 hour trip, up hill 90% time, in the middle of summer and sometimes at 4000 rpm up the hills and it kept on pullling with no movement from the heat gauge. also have you seen rangers up close? that i beam crap is a joke. it works ok i suppose and sure toyota ifs aint that much better in flex but its built like crap. look at any new ranger and the are back to tbar susp ifs???? the tbars are on the bottom and are way out in theopen asking to get bent? toyota went smart and is the only truck i have ever seen who hid the t bars on top of the frame were they are safe. also for a stock truck toyota ifs truck scame with the big skid plate STOCK! my friend with his nissan was like " is that stock?" im like yeeeaahh its toyota lol. Now im not saying dont buy a ranger or any other mini truck like s10, but if they were all sitting there and i had the choice i would have too go with the toyota. even if i didnt have experiance with the toyota because i would notice all the things that made it a tuff truck. like look at every toyota guy on this sight, they all love there truck and nobody understands us all. its because they are that good haha and if you are really lucky and get a 85 with 22re and sfa well then you are laughing
Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Pre 1995 Toyotas are good offroaders because most if not all of them are PAID OFF. If I didnt owe the bank anything for my tacoma it would be a much better offroader. As it sits now I'm afraid to mess it up.

I know this isnt necessarily the answer your looking for but i think theres some truth to it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Toyota's a tough and reliable, but you can't compare them to 1-ton full size components. These guys run with Jeeps, Toyotas, etc.; the Toyota guys run fully built Toy axles and are able to break them. Dana 60's and 14-bolts don't break, even with 400 hp V-8's.
i call BS everything has its breaking point just go on youtube and check out those guys breaking D60s and 14bolts all the time.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM

my .02 when a toyota is bought stock it is a capable off road wheeler compared to other stock rigs. the ifs imo is just as tough as a dana 30 in a jeep and the rear end is much stronger than your average dana 35. the engine power wise is pretty much a joke which teaches a new wheeler how to handle the vehicle not power over or through things. they can fit 33's with no lift and little work and will hold up wih it even the ifs. they have a stout frame which is a plus and are fairly eas to work on. all good attributes compared to other vehicles shooting for the same idea. the removable third is nice and simple when you decide stock isnt doing it for you and you would like to upgrade to a locker its a cheap and simple task compared to locking others and will hold up with a locker. from there its just as easy if not esier to swap in a big motor if you really want as it is in other COMPARABLE rigs or you can always regear with the tons of toyota aftermarket available. tranny and transfers and motors are superior imo to to the set up on rigs made in the mid 80's to mid 90's and its easy to regear transfers or run dual set ups. stock yota axles are tougher than stock jeep ones so to sas a yota and put it on 35's imo is gonna rn you about the same cost as lifting a jeep and beefing it up to do the same and way cheaper then the domestic small pick ups. and after you sas anything more is custom and turning it into a rig and from there the will all cost the same roughly its just what you like the looks of better. for a trail rig or for rocks he yota has it down stock for stock and opportunity and cost to go highly modified imo. i dont think you can compare these too full size trucks seeing as how the majority or rock rigs and trail rigs seem to be SMALLER vehicles. if your building a mud truck buy an 87 or older chevy 3/4 wih a 14 bolt rear and a 454 but i feel for what yotas generally are built for a full size is irrelevant to discuss. not that a yota cant be a mud truck but the full size chevy already has bigger axles and a v8 ready to build for tractor tires and huge power so if your going budget its got it covered. so i say the verdict is the toyota pick up is the best out there to buy stock and progress your skills with your trucks capability realistically. that make any sense? again just my opinion not looking to have a web fight with anyone just answering the ops question to the best of my abilities being an 18 year old owning my truck for 3 years going from stock to semi improved stock. when i started my truck was more capable than me but i got so i could wheel beyond its capabilities so i mildly upgraded it to a locker and small lift and soon lower tcase gears. when i am better than that ill put the axle in my basement from an 85 up front and start over again.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:32 AM

i just like how i can beat the pisss out of my truck and it never lets me down. and ive never gotten stuck in 4wd. without a locker, the traction sucks in 2wd.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by turkeykiller365
i just like how i can beat the pisss out of my truck and it never lets me down. and ive never gotten stuck in 4wd. without a locker, the traction sucks in 2wd.
haha that just means you got to find harder trails. ya they get great traction and what not and i love my truck but ive def gotten it stuck quite a few times. and no its not because i suck at driving its because the trails i rode were impossible without unreal traction, which open diffs do not have. yes being a good driver will help you but only so much at somepoint youll get it stuck. when people say "they never get stuck" is like when people who hunt say "i never miss" they are either lying or havent been doing it very long...not trying to call you out either man if your trucks purpose is to get you from a to b you probably have never been stuck. if you bought it to wheel and go try challenging obstacles then i have a hard time believing anyone that tells me "they never get stuck" everyone gets stuck even toyotas with 44's and lockers front and rear with super flexy suspension. everything has a limit.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by 91_TOYOTA_4x4
like look at every toyota guy on this sight, they all love there truck and nobody understands us all. its because they are that good haha and if you are really lucky and get a 85 with 22re and sfa well then you are laughing

i just like how i can beat the pisss out of my truck and it never lets me down.
And the alignment doesn't change on the SFA's

and ive never gotten stuck in 4wd. without a locker, the traction sucks in 2wd.
I've gotten stuck in 4wd with a locker. **it happens. Sometimes it's fun to push the limits and find out what they are.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
What Makes pre-1995 Toyotas Good Offroaders?
Hey now! Don't leave out the 95s!