Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Tundra/FJ80 Lift for 99 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra/FJ80 Lift for 99 4runner

So I am piecing together a lift for my 99 4runner. I am going with front fj80 coils and rear shocks for the rear of my 4runner and some Tundra TRD springs with OME N91S shocks for the front. I'm hoping to have this thread be a slow progress update type of thing. Any tips, advice, comments, etc are all welcome as I am still a noob and I have alot to learn from everyone.

Does anyone know if Tacoma coilovers will work to lift the 4runner? if so what years? What are some other options for a lift for the front of the 4runner? As you already might have noticed, I'm trying to go with mostly stock OEM Toyota parts to maintain that smooth ride on the road, and good flex capability off road.

So far I was able to pick up a set of FJ80 front coils from a 1991 LC and a pair of black rear shocks off the same LC. The LC had 166,000 miles at the time when they swapped out the suspension for a lift. I'm a little afraid that these are going to be too tall and give me more lift than what I'm looking for. I will hold on to them until I can find the right coils which I think are from a 97 2WD LC. None-the-less my collection for a lift has just gotten bigger and I can't wait to get my hands on some Tundra coils and Bilstein shocks. The diff drop kit, pan hard bar, bushings etc will probably have to be ordered from toytec or SS if I can't find a good deal elsewhere.

Am I on the right track and what do you guys think I should be looking out for? I think this type of lift resembles the 1.2 system from Sonoran Steel.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm a little confused about which shocks to use from the Land Cruiser. Do I use the front for the rear of the 4runner or the rear for the rear?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In every post I've ever read on the coils, the shocks have never came up...

The travels would have to be the same, and you'll have to take in the new lift added... and I don't think that's easy info to get a hold of...

IMO, you'll have to RTI (fork lift/ jack/ retaining wall?) it and see... Sorry, I've just never heard mention of it...

OTOH I'm VERY sure the LC's travel will be longer than the IFS's... That can get you till you can RTI your rig...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 03-28-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:40 AM

The Tacoma coilovers should work, as they are virtually identical to the 4Runner. I have the Tundra coils and they ride great. As far as the shocks, you need FJ80 rear shocks to match the bolt pattern of the 4Runner, one end is eye to eye and the other end is a stud. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 AM

For the front lift, what are my options to level it out with fj80 coils&shocks in the rear?

I know of the OME 881,882,883 coils with ome shocks. I also know that I can use tundra trd coilovers. What year and trim of tundra do they come off of? Part numbers? Where to get them cheap? Will the Tundra coilovers with the bilstein shocks be enough to level out the 4runner or would I need a spacer of some sort with the tundra coilovers? Sorry for all the questions.

Also I met a guy who is a trail-gear dealer and he was trying to convince me into doing an IFS eliminate and make it into a straight axle beast. I just don't have that kind of money and won't be doing any hard core wheeling like that. Anybody done this and have any input?
Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i know my 94 lc coils are real tall and just 882s without top out spacers would give it some mean rake your prob not looking for that much lift though
Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 PM

You could go with the high dollar coilovers as well, but that will bust your price range. I use the tundra coils with the Toytec spacer (3/4" lift) and it works real well. I still have a raked look, but when I actually load up to go camping I sit even or slightly higher in back. Rake is a good thing with big rear overhang. There is a sticky in the Newb section with part numbers for everything. I would skip the SAS from trail gear. It would be sweet, but cost way too much.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 PM

What year tundra coils and shocks can I use for the front? I'm still looking at what tundra years apply to 4runners. The link on the newb section is broken. Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 AM

I know for sure that 2000-2004 coils will work from a Tundra. The shocks should be the same or similar to your stock shock on front. The Tundra shocks will be valved too stiff. I have a set of Tacoma TRD (blue) shocks from a double-cab, but Tokicos will work just fine as well. The bilsteins look nice as well, just pricier.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 PM

Thanks troll. With that do you know how much of lift in general it provide on the 3rd gen? I have been told that a spacer in combination with the tundra coils should level out the fj80 springs. I currently have a set of 91 fj80 front coils and rear shocks, but i'm about to get a hold of a set of 97 front coils and rear shocks Thanks for your help!
Old 04-01-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You really aren't going to level out the front with the LC coils in the rear without destroying your CVs (it will put their angle too steep). That's probably why the Trail Gear dude suggested a SAS. The LC coils that SS uses will give you about 3.5"+ which is just too much to level out our IFS front. 3" is about the limit and in many cases that's pushing it. I think the main reason LCs are so popular in the first place is because they give you that extra .5-1" of rear lift so you don't drag a$$ on the steep stuff.

You probably don't want to run OME 882 or 883s unless you have a lot extra weight in the front from a winch bumper, armor, etc.. My 883s gave me about 2.5" over stock w/ an ARB. My CVs are at a good angle, but I don't want to push them any farther, that's why I did a small body lift. Your best bet would probably be the tundra coils, but I think you'll need adjustable shocks or spacers because AFAIK they'll only give you about 1.5-2" on their own. Or you could do the coil over thing like troll said, but it's $$:
http://allprooffroad.com/9602frontsuspension/299

If what you want is a level sitting 4runner get some OME 890s and call it done.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 PM

Like brian said, you won't be level. I have just under 3" in front and around 4" in the rear. It is real nice to get the rear up for normal wheeling situations. And when I am fully loaded down to take the family camping and wheeling I still set level or a little high in the rear (family of 5). Just depends on how you want to use vehicle. Just be sure to use a diff drop kit if you go up towards 3" in front to help with the CV angles. I am going on three years of Colorado and Moab wheeling and no CV problems.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the information guys! I'm still looking around for the front Trd tundra coilovers. ANyone know where I can get these for relatively cheap? I'm also still waiting on the 97 fj80 front coils and rear shocks because the 91 fj80 coils and springs I have are super huge!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:19 PM

Not sure if you are interested, but TRDParts4u had OME 883 on sale awhile back. I am in the process of installing these on my dad's 4runner. Seem to be similar to the Tundra coil setup. Just another option for a similar result.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:48 PM

I feel that the feedback I've read on the 883's are that they are too stiff? That is one of the reasons why I was trying to go with all OEM toyota suspension components to retain the smooth ride but improve height, clearance, and travel. I don't have a heavy-duty bumper or anything like that yet. I do plan on getting an ARB bumper FAR FAR down the road when I can afford it. Let me know how the 883's ride and what kinda shocks? THANKS!!