Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Truck starts runs, starts runs dies quickly, rinse and repeatAs for the truck, I know

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck starts runs, starts runs dies quickly, rinse and repeatAs for the truck, I know

'93 pickup 3zve V6

Hi, I have read about here for the last week, and seems like there could be a half dozen things causing my issues, my issue is I am at the end of a logging road in the bush 7 hours, if the truck ran to get parts, well part of that is by quad, hence me in camp. If anyone could help me narrow my issue down so I don't end up with a bunch of parts to replace good parts. Thank-you in advance.

As for the truck, I know the distributor was not talking to the ECM, but ran a while just fine like that so I am hoping it is the distributor (easiest fix). The truck fires might run for a minute then dies, then after that starts then stumble dies after a few seconds, will repeatedly do that, if you punch the gas off the hop, she will gun maybe catch but come off the gas dies again. A progressive thing and now does that but do not get any run time in between.

I have checked the fuel for water, done the in line filter, drained the tank and rechecked the filter (clean). New rotor and cap this spring, with plugs wires, oil, air filter, ect, ran fine afterwards.

Outside of that there are a few other things that it could be, possibly the fuel pump (don't want it to be that, have to drain a full tank and drop and remove and replace), could it be the MAF above the air filter, or could be the ECM?

But hoping seeing as I had it coded that it is just the dist has completely packed it in, does that fit the symptoms?

Could always be a faulty EFI relay?

The only other thing that I did notice was if I turned the fan on to high the engine would die while running the truck, but then it would restart and go back to driving again. So next time I get out to my truck I will check for a bad chassis ground, and the ground on the ECM.
Any bright ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated, seeing as I am picking up a city girl to come into camp and I will be showing up at the airport on my quad, yes I do live in the bush and the airport at a small dot on the map off a half forgotten highway.

Last edited by jonnyeliguk; 08-10-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: forgot engine type