Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Toyotas with carburetors

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyotas with carburetors

Hopefully I'll be in the market for a rig here pretty soon and I would ideally like to find an 85 4x4 since they can be had with straight axle and efi, but they're hard to come by. So therein lies my question, how do the carb'd 22r's do offroad? How do they do in day to day use as far as reliability and all that junk?

I just want to find a straight axle rig, no more messing around with ifs. So any thoughts and input on how carb'd rigs fare would be nice. I'm worried about being on a nice incline and the engine starving for fuel etc. Obviously each rig is different, I know the weber is a popular upgrade, but does it really solve the common carb/4wheel issues?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could always convert the 22r to EFI.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe in the future, but if I pick up a carb'd truck, it'll be a while before I can do something like that (live in apartment).
Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 PM

get a carbd yota......... and run you some propane injection.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisbnaz
Hopefully I'll be in the market for a rig here pretty soon and I would ideally like to find an 85 4x4 since they can be had with straight axle and efi, but they're hard to come by. So therein lies my question, how do the carb'd 22r's do offroad? How do they do in day to day use as far as reliability and all that junk?

I just want to find a straight axle rig, no more messing around with ifs. So any thoughts and input on how carb'd rigs fare would be nice. I'm worried about being on a nice incline and the engine starving for fuel etc. Obviously each rig is different, I know the weber is a popular upgrade, but does it really solve the common carb/4wheel issues?
Surprisingly my carbed pickup does very well on steep hills. the only issue i ever had was when i got my dizzy flooded with water :/.

I've had my pickup on VERY steep inclines with no bogging or misfiring at all.
It's also very reliable, i've never had my carbed pickup puke out on me. No extra fuses, or anything, either.

The stock aisin carb is a wonderful carb on these pickups. It's never let me down and i cant think of a time where i've flooded the engine with gas.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:44 PM

I wouldn't limit yourself to an 85 just because it has a solid axle. Stock it's no more capable off-road and rides rougher. To actually set up a solid axle appropriately on an 85 requires same amount of work as if you're converting an 87 to a solid axle.

Besides all that, I've only owned 22R's (carb). Your understanding that the motor is starved for fuel on an incline is actually quite backwards. The bowl floods the carb which causes a rich mixture, and the steeper you go the worse this gets degrading performance and eventually to a stall.

I was going to convert to EFI but ended up selling all the parts and staying carbed. It works fine for me and what I do. It's only an issue on extreme inclines.

Propane is awesome but really impractical for a daily driver.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
To actually set up a solid axle appropriately on an 85 requires same amount of work as if you're converting an 87 to a solid axle.
I don't believe that to be true at all..
Considering with a 79-85 your truck is already fitted with a solid front axle, the most you have to do is convert it to hy steer, get taller springs, and get an IFS box. Assuming your front axle is in good operational condition.

I'd say its alot less work..
Old 05-09-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by peow130
I don't believe that to be true at all..
Considering with a 79-85 your truck is already fitted with a solid front axle, the most you have to do is convert it to hy steer, get taller springs, and get an IFS box. Assuming your front axle is in good operational condition.

I'd say its alot less work..
The only step you're avoiding is torching off IFS components. Hardly a practical reason to avoid every year but 85 just because it already has an axle.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
The only step you're avoiding is torching off IFS components. Hardly a practical reason to avoid every year but 85 just because it already has an axle.
I didnt say anything about avoiding years...
I'm just saying it's unfair to say that it costs the same to build up a 79-85 with a SFA stock, as it is to build up an 86+..
The costs aren't the same at all.
Both trucks stock are going to have similar performance on and off road.
Regardless, maybe the OP has a set budget and can't afford to do a whole axle rebuild, gears, SAS kit, and what have you. Maybe he wants to build on a budget.
And to build a 79-85 into a decent wheeler is alot cheaper than it is to build an 86-95.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im looking at buying an 85 with a carb. the only problem with it is that it idles but when you hit the gas it floods and bogs out... im thinking its the jets? but im not sure. i really dont want to have to tow it home. any suggestions?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If its been parked for a while the gas in it could be dead or water built up in the tank. It could also be a plugged up fuel filter or a weak fuel pump. I wouldn't start messing with the carb unless you have a very good history on the truck. Start with the simple stuff and you might find an easy fix.

BTW, I put a weber on my 90 truck and have no complaints, but it's a 2wd daily driver so I don't know how it would perform offroad.