Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing Chain Bandaid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Bandaid?

Hello All,

First, I'd like to say this forum is incredibly informative and it's members are not only helpful, but most seem genuinely concerned with your problems which is awesome. Anyways, I just picked up an 88 p/u with a 22re and I'm starting to hear a tick. I'm 100% sure it's the timing chain guides. I would love to just get in there and change it out, but I work 6 days a week and this truck is my dd. I'm expecting to be off for at least a week in mid march, so I'd like to tackle the timing chain at that point, but I'm looking for a temp fix to last me till then. Using the search function, I came across 1 or 2 people saying that you could use heavier/thicker oil to hopefully prevent the chain from cutting through the cover, but no one verified if this was a valid temporary remedy? I have some rotella 15w-40 ready to go in, if this is legitimate.

Any help would appreciated.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:01 AM

That might help, I highly doubt it will do much though.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:03 AM

If it just started and your planning to replace in about a month. I would think you'll be ok it takes awhile for the chain to get into the water passage. I knew a guy who went six months with no guides and it didn't make it into the water passage. He had gouged the cover but we reused it that was 6 years ago and no problems to date.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I used a couple cans of stp oil treatment to bump up the oil viscosity! that stuff is like honey so it worked great!
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You're certain it's not an exhaust leak? The manifold-to-downpipe donut gaskets are pretty common for blowing out. Or any hardware may come loose. Check around a bit, don't just assume its internal engine noise. I would hate (laugh) if you did a timing chain and your tick was still there after all that work...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by rokblok
You're certain it's not an exhaust leak? The manifold-to-downpipe donut gaskets are pretty common for blowing out. Or any hardware may come loose. Check around a bit, don't just assume its internal engine noise. I would hate (laugh) if you did a timing chain and your tick was still there after all that work...
It's possible. But the previous owner just put in headers and a straight pipe, like two weeks before I bought it.

If anything I would notice the guides being off as soon as I pop the valve cover off right?
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by brianh699
If it just started and your planning to replace in about a month. I would think you'll be ok it takes awhile for the chain to get into the water passage. I knew a guy who went six months with no guides and it didn't make it into the water passage. He had gouged the cover but we reused it that was 6 years ago and no problems to date.

See, I get paranoid. I don't really know if it just started or I was overwhelmed with joy from getting my first toyota and didn't notice it lol. Hopefully the bandaid will last the month.

Thanks for the responses everyone
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 AM

just take the valve cover off and shine a light down there to SEE if it is indeed your guides. then if it is get some steel backed ones from lce or engnblder. the guide that usually breaks is the drivers side.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could also be the valves... Timing chains typically make a grinding sound when they are rubbing on the guides or timing cover.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
It could also be the valves... Timing chains typically make a grinding sound when they are rubbing on the guides or timing cover.
Yea, I've come across that while searching on here. It's a very light sounding(albeit noticeable) tick, not really a grinding sound. I'll pop off the valve cover and take a look to see if I'll be adding timing chain to my do list along with clutch replacement

Thanks for all the help so far guys

EDIT

I'm starting to think it may be this valve lash I'm hearing about, because the ticking is constant rather than just being at idle

Last edited by AFCGooner; 02-10-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would still check that exhaust system really well, especially since the PO did exhaust just prior to purchase. He could very easily have used inferior products/parts causing an exhaust leak somewhere.

And valves being out of adjustment is very common.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:41 PM

just about anyway you look at it, you gotta pop the valve cover off lol.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:15 PM

I'm starting to think it may be this valve lash I'm hearing about, because the ticking is constant rather than just being at idle
That sounds like valves usually timing chain rattle goes away above idle when oil pressure increases and tensioner pulls up chain slack.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM

Sounds like valves to me. A header makes the valve train noise louder. You would think your engine is coming apart at startup if it were your timing chain. Its loud. These engines are normally noisy straight from the factory.

You need to pull the valve cover off and look at the guides. While you are in there, go ahead and adjust your valves. It will take you all of 45 minutes the first time you try it. Lots of people adjust down to .007 for intake and .011 for exhaust to quiet them down. Like I said though, if you are running a header, it automatically makes them louder.

Also, when you start a new thread, always state your year and engine in your first post so people don't have to guess or ask. You can always just list that info in your signature line as well, but guys who just get on the forum using their phones can't see the sig, or your location.