Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Steering gets "stuck" while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering gets "stuck" while driving

Hey guys, I've got a weird problem going on with my new truck's steering.
First, the truck's info: '85 pickup 4wd with an aftermarket hy-steer setup similar to this one. The steering column, pw pump and everything else are all OEM (as far as I know).

On to the problem: While driving, sometimes after taking a corner of relatively short radius, the steering seems to "stick" and refuses to go back to center. What's more, if I try to steer through center to go the opposite direction (imagine driving in s-curves), the steering just stops at center and wont budge past. If I let go of the wheel at this point, it naturally goes back to where it came from (that is, the direction I had just turned), then it feels like something "gives" and the steering will operate normally (until another decent turn).
As far as troubleshooting, this is what I've got so far:
1. The pitman arms and tie rods are not bound or stuck on anything while this happens (I stopped in the middle of my road while the problem happened and checked).
2. The pump was working previous to me removing it to rebuild the engine. I reinstalled it with no problems and am quite certain I installed it properly. The fluid reservoir is full, there are no leaks and there is no air in the lines (at least it doesn't whine like it!)
3. The PS belt is brand new, tightened properly, and does not squeal.
4. I have jacked the front wheels off the ground in a garage. I have not been able to recreate the problem like this, and can freely push the wheels from max steer left to right with just my hands (with engine off). With the engine on and using the steering wheel, the steering goes from max left to right and back with no problems and no "sticking".
5. There is no crud in the steering column u-joints that could cause them to bind.
Once on the ground, the ps, again, appears to work fine. This problem only happens while driving so...:
6. Tires are inflated properly, and the toe is just about at 0. I know it should be 1/8th inch, but I can't imagine the extra toe-out pressure from the road would be causing this problem.

What the heck could it be?!

Questions that I have yet to answer:
1. There might be some rubbish loose in the gear housing that gets stuck in the splines on occasion (really hope it's not this as I don't want to take that apart) or the gears are broken?
2. Low oil? Haven't checked yet
3. ???
So, that's why I'm here. Any troubleshooting help or shared experience is greatly appreciated.. I will update as I find out more!
Thanks

Last edited by rubikstruck; 12-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the box is adjusted incorrectly I'm fairly certain it can bind up. When they wear out and get sloppy, people tend to try and adjust the slop out and do so incorrectly. There is a lock nut with a flat head screw in the center of it on top of the box that is used for adjusting the slop. It could be the damage is already done and it needs to be replaced.

~T.J.