Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

serious flooding

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serious flooding

i'm having major issues with my carburetor, but i don't think it's my carb. i have an 86 toyota, 2.4l 22r stock motor with a stock aisan 2bbl carb. i just had it rebuilt and it's still flooding. i've replaced the fuel pump, lines and filter. The problem has gone away come and gone a few times, but now it's back and i can't seem to fix it. i've tried everything i could think of... please help, this is my dd

Does anyone have any ideas why my carburetor is still flooding????

Last edited by dj-86yota; 09-10-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it has been awhile but those carbs are the reason we all went to fuel injection.

dang that sounds bad and is not helping the situation....

To be specific-is it not the float valve that causes more gas to release into the bowl ? You say it was just rebuilt-I assume by a professional. If so why are they not now diagnosing it for you.? Was this a do it yourself rebuild with just the seals? bingo.....

We only know what you tell us.

Give us more to go on. What is it doing exactly?, please be specific. Flooding to me means that excess gas is in the carb bowl to be dispensed when it is not yet called for.

I am no mechanic but we will help talk you through this. I'm here to be helpful and learn and did not mean to bash on you.

Once running does it idle well? Was the idle screw drilled out or is this an adjustable idler? My frame of reference is my former 78SR5 longbed Pickup.

Do you clear the flooding and get the engine to start by not touching the gas pedal and just cranking the key in the ignition until it starts to fire? Or how exactly do you get it to start when flooded.

Old gas? sometimes very dirty, perhaps has clogged something up-again my mind goes to a float valve or some such animal.

I thought 86 was the first year of fuel injection? maybe just in the Runners?

Stay in touch. I am now curious as all get out.

techno/ toytech76 you available for a quickie consult?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM

thanks for replying i really appreciate it. so i took the carb back in and they tested it and said nothing was wrong...figures with my luck lol. if i dump the carb out i can get it to start and it will idle fine i let it idle for a while to make sure it doesn't die. i check the float level and all is good. so i take it around the block, up to second gear, i stop and go and everything seems good and then after a couple minutes it just dies and i have to gas it non stop just to get it back. pretty difficult when i have to break and shift. i was reading about vent solenoids and i noticed after i turn off the engine, it still pours fuel into the carb for a while. idk if thats it but i would assume the carb shop would have ran into that issue if thats what it was. i think 86 was the first yr for fuel injection, but i think they offered both. it was rebuilt by a carb shop...$200 damn dollars. but i thought about dirt getting stuck in my float but it would've been cleaned by the carb shop. i even added an extra inlet fuel filter on the hose directly into my carb after it was rebuilt to prevent anything from getting in. so idk...

Last edited by dj-86yota; 09-15-2008 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM

hmmm

Well if the carb checked out fine then yes it does sound like an actuator or solenoid is kicking in after it thinks it is "warmed up".

SO that leads me to suspect the choke or whatever it is that replaces a choke in modern vehicles. I don't have the knowledge of what exactly would do that.

get on some other forums-maybe the Tacoma TTORA and keep asking ....
Old 09-19-2008, 11:07 AM

it has an automatic, electric choke.....thanks tho (NOT automatic tranny)

Last edited by dj-86yota; 09-30-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:34 AM

bump any improvement?

You must have plenty of choices in Phoenix, take it to another shop and see what their opinion is of more fuel being dispensed after the engine is shut off.

That sounds like flooding to me.

Answer my direct question please-how do you get it to start when it is flooded? You can smell the gas from the drivers seat when it is flooded is that correct?

Pump the 'Yota dealerships for freebie advice. Phone calls never hurt anyone's feelings.

For $200 your carb rebuild shop should be able to help more than just say their own work is fine. What is their diagnosis/opinon on what the trouble is?

any help on the other forums? Techies please step up-

pull your thread out of newbie tech and bring it to a main page for more views
and thoughts.

We're all here to learn-at least I am.

We've all had frustration like this-at least I have....is your idle adjustable? Have the shop show you where that screw is....Is it idling at the proper RPM for an automatic? 800 or 850rpm I think it is....
Old 09-30-2008, 05:00 PM

thanks for all the help....i got it towed and fixed for $140 total. its all good now. they just cleaned the carb bowl, set the idle speed and mixture, and set my timing (which was way off)