Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Radiator replacement for a '90 Pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiator

I just bought a new all metal one from radiator.com. I picked it up and it cost 145. Looks exactly like the original. It is 3 row.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:08 PM

So no one's used the plastic/aluminum radiator I've linked? I'm THIS close to ordering it as it's only $70 shipped with tax, but it's almost too good to be true.

Mind you, I'm really only in need of a radiator that'll last me 3 or 4 years MINIMUM. I don't mind if the rad won't last me the 20 years this stock radiator has lasted me. I'm just not in the mood to deal with a radiator that'll blow up on me the second I get on the road with it or a month down the line.

I've got an ex-mechanic helping me with the installation, but he's a stranger to ebay/internet stuff. He also swears by plastic tank'd rads but I'm concerned with this particular rad from ProRadiator. Here's the link again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2...ht_4376wt_1104

Sorry if this seems redundant, but as you can see, I'm pretty desperate to get moving. Doesn't help that I may potentially use this truck for some light work very soon. (Being called back for an interview with an auto-part delivery company. I've been assured that the parts aren't in excess of 150lbs so my yota won't be doing anything heavy-duty)

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to post my own contributions to these forums on day. :]
Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just curious where is the leak??

Do you have a propane torch, acid flux and solder and a way to clean the paint off.

A few minutes your done till the next pin hole opens up.

I think most of us dislike the aluminum and plastic radiators because of emergency field repairs can be down right impossible or at the least a remain out over night while something cures.

All metal emergency repair will get you home it might not be pretty. I had a upper metal tank crack in New Mexico repaired it . Lasted till the truck was scrapped several years later
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just curious where is the leak??

Do you have a propane torch, acid flux and solder and a way to clean the paint off.

A few minutes your done till the next pin hole opens up.

I think most of us dislike the aluminum and plastic radiators because of emergency field repairs can be down right impossible or at the least a remain out over night while something cures.

All metal emergency repair will get you home it might not be pretty. I had a upper metal tank crack in New Mexico repaired it . Lasted till the truck was scrapped several years later
I just checked. Ran the engine for about 4 minutes to see the leak. Turns out its leaking in 3 different places now. I didn't believe the "if it leaks in one area, it's bound to leak elsewhere" thing, but now it's official. That rad needs to come out.

So if I don't mind being stranded WHEN it fails (assuming it isn't soon), plastics are fine?

Again, have my finger on the "order" button and still on the edge.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:10 PM

I will never buy a plastic and aluminum radiator again in my life ever, nor would I recommend it to anyone either. I went through 2 plastic tank aluminum core radiators which were made by spectra, the first one failing in 3 or 4 months and the second leaking pretty much right after I put it in. In my opinion, getting a 2 or 3 row all metal one from radiatorbarn.com is the way to go. They are made by CSF and are of very solid quality. That's what I have in my truck now and I've driven it from Colorado to Mass and I had no problems.

If you have already bought the one in your link, don't be surprised if it leaks where the metal is crimped around the plastic. Both of mine did.

Last edited by pruney81; 01-16-2011 at 01:12 PM.