Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

off center steering wheel fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off center steering wheel fix?

I am replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, and shocks(thinking about doing the pitman and idler arm too) on the front of my 88 4runner. Is there a way for me to re-center the steering wheel before I put it all back together, or should i leave it until I get an alignment? Also, is it easier to replace the cv axle shafts while everything is apart or wait until it is necessary? I guess ill throw this one in there too...is it easy/good idea to replace the control arm bushings? they are definitely the original ones, do these wear out and cause trouble? thanks in advance for your responses!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
1. Get an alignment first, then if it needs straightened afterwards, have them straighten it. Or do it yourself. It needs to be aligned FIRST though. It's second to the last step of the alignment procedure, technically speaking.

Check the fsm 4WD alignment section on page SA-9, step 7 (c).
7. ADJUST TOE–IN
(a) Loosen the clamp bolts and nuts.
(b) Adjust toe–in by turning the left and right tie rod
tubes an equal amount.
Toe–in: See page A–26
(c) Insure that the lengths of the left and right tie rods
are equal.
NOTICE: Check that the steering wheel is straightened.
(d) Torque the tie rod.
Torque: 22 N–m (225 kgf–cm, 16 ft–lbf)
HINT: Face the clamp bolt toward the front of the
vehicle.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...axle/2-4wd.pdf

2. Yes, obviously, there is a way. The way you straighten the steering wheel, if needed, is to pop the center cover off with a screwdriver. Then use a 19mm socket to remove the nut. After you can remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller(or the old jiggle it side-to-side real hard while pulling with both hands method) and re-center it. As close as you can anyway. When re-installing makes sure the steering wheel nut gets torqued to 25 ft. lbs..

3. Yes do the cv now while it's apart.

4. Don't mess with the control arms bushings if they aren't falling apart(literally), causing issues where it won't stay aligned, and/or causing ride quality to suck tremendously. Why? They're a PITA to replace, and are NOT worth hassling with unless you must. I still have the original bushings on my 88 PU and, IMO, they don't really need replaced yet. However, I am actually going to be replacing them very soon. Because I'm just now finishing the process of restoring my entire frame and suspension to OE specs. Before I put the body and engine back on it. Long story....

Last edited by MudHippy; 04-25-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats some good info! ill have to get my alignment after i finish all this work. should i worry about the bolts on the adjusting cams being really rusty? is that something that they normally will play with at the alignment place?