Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

No More TRD Camshafts for Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No More TRD Camshafts for Sale?

Hello All,

Ive been searching for a TRD stage 1 camshaft because I want to be certain that I will pass smog as opposed to some other after market cam what doesnt come with a CARB sticker.

So I went into my local Toyota dealer in Sacramento, Maita Toyota. They stated that they couldnt find any in the US but that they would check on it and give me a call when they received a definitive answer.

So I got a call this morning and according to my dealership Toyota is no longer making this cam. They gave me LCE's number and said to call them and that a mild cam should pass smog.

Well I've bought from LCE in the past and I have no problem getting a cam from them again but I really wanted that CARB sticker and the piece of mind of knowing I will pass smog.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have a 94 2wd DLX four banger, 3 inch body lift, soon to have 3.5 inch fabtech UCA lift and soon to have supra AFM swap.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Call other deAlers, sometimes they have NOS (new old stock)
You might also try pm'ing deathcougar, he has a good connection
Old 08-30-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
According to TRDUSA.com they are still available through them. And their street-tuned(Level 1) 20R/22R(E) cams (PT901-34000-00) are gauranteed smog legal in all 50 states.
http://www.trdusa.com/partscatalog.cfm?subcategory=15

http://www.trdusa.com/partscatalog.c...15&vehicle=all

Here's the link to their contact page.
http://www.trdusa.com/contactus.cfm

My advice, avoid the stealership at all costs, good things rarely come of it. They all hire crews of know-nothing clowns that get to call themselves "Toyota Techs"()without having a clue/having any grasp of automotive engineering concepts and basic engine design theory. Why? Because that's all that's required to replace or order parts(and some can't even do that appearently). Sorry, DeathCougar, you know I don't mean to include you there. There's obviously a few that aren't complete idiots. But, very few and very far between.

Last edited by MudHippy; 08-30-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the info. I will contact TRD USA and see what comes of it and post back.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
According to TRDUSA.com they are still available through them. And their street-tuned(Level 1) 20R/22R(E) cams (PT901-34000-00) are gauranteed smog legal in all 50 states.

My advice, avoid the stealership at all costs, good things rarely come of it. They all hire crews of know-nothing clowns that get to call themselves "Toyota Techs"()without having a clue/having any grasp of automotive engineering concepts and basic engine design theory. Why? Because that's all that's required to replace or order parts(and some can't even do that appearently). Sorry, DeathCougar, you know I don't mean to include you there. There's obviously a few that aren't complete idiots. But, very few and very far between.

DC doesn't work for Toyota. He works for Nix99, an independent Toyota recycler. . He orders parts through Toyota at discount. And he has never let me down.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:45 AM

O.k., he doesn't work for Toyota technically. He does, as you've stated, deal STRICTLY in OEM Toyota parts sales. He's just the only guy on here that I wouldn't like that statement to offend. As he is "The Toyota Master"(agreed). How's that? Better?

As for the rest of the numbskulls who get on this site calling themselves "techs", idgits!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Just because the TRD website lists it, doesn't mean its still available.

Even I cannot get that camshaft new. You might be able to find someone who has an N.O.S. part, or on ebay but TRD doesn't make it, and has obsoleted the part number.

Remember, the newest 22RE built was produced 16 years ago. They are starting to become a thing of the past.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Btw Toyota techs go through many years of schooling to become a tech. Master techs are ASE certified, and the T-Ten program has as many levels of teaching as your 22RE has miles.

I have never studied to be a tech, but I know what they go through. Its fine and dandy that most of us on here know the 22R engine and everything associated with them. But Techs are required to know literally hundreds of models, design changes, engine styles, trans differences, etc etc etc. For anyone who ever calls a tech an idiot, go work in their shoes for one day and see some of the screwed up problems they are required to try and solve. And then take the beating from the ignorant public that wants them to work for free.

Find me any car that has a button to tell you whats wrong. Its not that simple.

And furthermore, parts salesmen do not have to be techs. They merely provide what you ask for. YOu are comparing apples to oranges which isn't even remotely close to fair.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your looking for the TRD stage 1 cam you can also search Ebay or elsewhere for the Crane Cam #704-0010 grind#T20-262-2-10

Crane Cam is out of business I think but it is the same cam. I used this cam in my 87 22R with great results. Crane made the cams for Toyota.

http://cranecams.com/?show=browsePar...tType=camshaft

James
Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 AM

Alright, I stand corrected.

In my experience ASE certification means doodoo. My brother is ASE cert., and can't diagnose a broken taillight(sorry bro)!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM

Alright, I stand corrected.

In my experience ASE certification means doodoo. My brother is ASE cert., and can't diagnose a broken taillight(sorry bro)!
ASE does not mean squat. Anyone who can read and take a test can be ASE certified. It is just a gimmick.

James
Old 08-31-2010, 04:59 PM

Damn. I really wanted the CARB sticker. Looks like the number on the TRD USA website actually goes to their corporate office in the US. Spoke with the operator there, she vented that the website needs to be updated and connected me with another local dealer who will again, check to see if it is available. Althought if DeathCougar can't get it, looks like I might be SOL.

Checked EBAY and couldnt find anything. I actually e-mailed Crane a couple months back and they only had about 5 left but it didnt come with the CARB sticker. I only posted as a last resort and it looks like I am outta luck and will be e-mailing crane again.

Thanks for all the help guys and if anything pops up, I will post back.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM

engine builder
ask Ted, He is the man
Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 AM

Hell I would make my own C.A.R.B. sticker for those Nazi's.

James
Old 09-01-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
who the heck is gonna take your valve cover off, just to see if you have a Factory cam in there let alone take out your cam and measure it just to see if it's C.A.R.B. certified.

I can see if we are talking about a highly visible C.A.I. or a header, but an internal engine component?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM

Being in CA, and never having any trouble smoging my truck with the headers and (hopefully) the supra AFM, I dont want to not pass and then spend an arm and a leg trying to get it to pass or having the headache of putting another cam in so that I can pass smog.

Plus, I'm by no means an expert on our air quality controls here in CA, but I for one don't mind breathing a little easier. But there has to be a reason besides everyone wanting to CTA's for why everyone states that their cams are for "off-road use in non-emissions controlled vehicles only".

Thanks again for the help guys. I'm prolly just gonna go with the mild LCE cam.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:49 PM

I have personally seen a stage-2 TRD cam pass smog on a rebuilt 22RE with downey header. Fuel system was completely stock at the time. So just pick a cam and don't worry about the sticker, having the EO sticker doesn't make a polluter pass.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:56 AM

Do a nationwide search on www.Craiglook.com