Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Need some ideas on what kind of tire I should run

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Anx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Need some ideas on what kind of tire I should run

I'm going to go ahead and say sorry for asking this infamous question. But I'm stuck on what I can and can't run and should and shouldn't. My 88 22re is my daily driver. It came factory 4.10 gears. Not sure if it's been changed. It has 31x10.50x15 mickey tomphson mtz. I like them but I want a tire that is going to last a good while and still do great offroad and onroad. I do not really want to lift the truck or re-gear. So what would be the best tire for me and size. I just want to get the best possible outcome for the best price. I am on a budget kinda. I don't want anything expensive or something that is gonna wear quickly. I do trail riding up in a local mountain. Some rocks, mud, gravel, etc. I like hill climbing.

Please be nice lol. I've noticed this forum is filled with sarcastic people and trolls. I hate to be a noob but this is my first toyota and 4x4 truck.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:54 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Stick with what you currently have.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 AM

If your going for long life and good offroad/ onroad performance, i would look into some BF Goodrich Rugged Trail or Mud Terrain KM2. You could also go with some Goodyear Duratrac or Wrangler MTR. I'm running BFG Rugged Trail T/A in a 265/70/17 right now and they've got about 20,000 miles on them and they've still got alot of life left.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:13 AM
Anx

Should I stay the same size or go bigger?
Old 04-04-2012, 05:18 AM

id say stick with no bigger than 31's. That's the most common tire size for these trucks and you shouldn't need to go much bigger.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jkelley429
If your going for long life and good offroad/ onroad performance, i would look into some BF Goodrich Rugged Trail or Mud Terrain KM2. You could also go with some Goodyear Duratrac or Wrangler MTR. I'm running BFG Rugged Trail T/A in a 265/70/17 right now and they've got about 20,000 miles on them and they've still got alot of life left.
I'm with Jkelley. Both are good tires for the buck and have never heard anything bad about them. As far as size goes I wouldn't go any bigger than what you have unless you plan on regearing. A buddy of mine has stuffed 33x10.5 under his before. I wasn't crazy with how it looked and he pulled and put smaller tires back on due to not being able to afford gears.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM

I would suggest nitto terra grapplers but they dont make 15s or at least i dont think they do. And yes people i suggested a all terrain. But the km2 is a really good tire. I dont no how long they last on a dd but on a trail they are impressive.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:07 PM

i run cooper sst 31x10.5x15 on my dakota (dd don't hate me) and have been pounding the crap out of them for 20k now and i'm just amazed at how they wear.They works great off road and sling the mud if you have enough power to turn them lol. and YES i run a 83 toyo on 35's buck shots (not impressed to stiff) for play time.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I LOVE my 31x10.5 KM2's!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stick with the tires you have. I know several guys who prefer them over irocs on their rock rigs. They're all running at least 38s though. I love my mtz (35x12.5x15) been using them for 30,000km and they still have more than 1/2 to go. That includes the occasional burnout and red light race. I check my tire pressure every few weeks, rotate several times a year. Balance and align once a year. Driven in plenty of other trucks with mud tires on them and have yet to find another mud tire that rolls as smooth as they do. Less rolling resistance = better fuel economy. The traction they have offroad is just as good, if not better than all other "streetable' mud tires. More so if you air down. If your on a budget, watch the local online classifieds and buy a smoking deal when it pops up. Watch for the words "divorce sale" Thats how I got my brand my swampers on rims for $1200
Old 04-05-2012, 05:29 PM

I would never run a set of mud terrains on a daily driver. But since you have them, you might as well use them. If I were you, I would run what you have now and save up for a set of BFGoodrich All-Terrains or Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs of the same size. Don't go a size up because the gearing would suck, especially with the 22re. You won't be sorry if you put the extra money into the BFGs or GYs. Instead of buying cheap-o tires every 20-30,000 miles, you could get 60,000+ with BFGs or GYs. You could always sell your steel rims and buy a set of used aluminum rims. Getting all terrains and aluminum rims means you will have less rotating mass and less rolling resistance than the mud terrains and steel rims, which is what you would want with a daily driver, especially with gas prices the way they are Either way, it's your choice in the end.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 PM

He needs to decide what version of a daily driver he is if hes thinking about all terrains. If your the guy who drives down a dusty trail with a few small rocks and roots once every 2 months, puts it in 4x4 just to say he went "off roading", your a/t will be fine. My daily driver (read sig) gets driven to work every day, then sunk to the rockers with both diffs locked in the evenings and weekends. An a/t won't work, that simple.

just my 0.02, but bfg ats were the worst tire I've run. They were smooth and quiet on the road, because there is no gap between the lugs. This lack of gap caused them to pack up in every frickin puddle. They had no traction on dry grass, wet grass, or rock. They were cut easilly and they would almost cry when they saw mud. Gravel roads they would wander like crazy. My mtz' have the same traction as they did on ice and snow. They might be the bees knees on a larger, heavier truck if you bought the factory size. But I won't recommend them to anyone with a light truck like ours if they use them offroad on a regular basis.

rant over.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
He needs to decide what version of a daily driver he is if hes thinking about all terrains. If your the guy who drives down a dusty trail with a few small rocks and roots once every 2 months, puts it in 4x4 just to say he went "off roading", your a/t will be fine. My daily driver (read sig) gets driven to work every day, then sunk to the rockers with both diffs locked in the evenings and weekends. An a/t won't work, that simple.
Couldn't have said it better myself, this is really what it comes down to because although we would like it to be so, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Mud tires are not for street longevity and All terrains are not for deep mud, you can get one of those "hybrid xtreme all terrain" tire but you wont be satisfied either way, at least I wouldn't.

Sexy truck by the way, reminds me of the one in my garage.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run BFG KM2 mud terrains in 33X10.50X15 flavor. I travel the country in my truck due to work. The KM2s are quiet compared to other M/T's. I have about 15K miles on mine and they literally still look brand new. I still have factory gearing but I have a 3RZ swap so I have a touch more power. Averaging 18-19 mpg so far. MPG is slowly climbing though, which I guess is the motor breaking in and loosening up.

My votes for BFG KM2 mud terrains in your size.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:19 PM

KM2's! My truck is a dd pavement pounder & the tires still look brand new!
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have been buying tires from the same tire dealer since the late seventies it all comes down to just what you yourself need for a tire.

Tire life is related to the rubber compound the harder the compound the longer the tire life the softer the compound the better the traction so one has to compromise me I will take the traction over the long life.

I always buy his house brand tires I can buy just as good a tire if not better then the name brand at a much cheaper price. Since there are not all that many plants making tires

Since I have no need to run anything bigger nor do I want to then a 235/R75 15 i am quite happy running the Merit All Country M/T LXT the last 4 I bought out the door were less then $ 500.00

I have All terrain mounted on wheels I always say I will swap on in the summer but I never do.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by nothingbetter
You make a good point. I never considered that!