Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Looking at buying 90 yota

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking at buying 90 yota

Hey everyone, I'm looking at buying a 90 yota 22re 4x4 5sp. I'm 16 so this will be my first vehicle and am wondering if there are any common problems with them? I know head gaskets and timing chains go but other than that don't know much. The truck has 150,000 kms on it. About how many kms does the engine needs rebuilt? The main reason I am wanting a yota is for reliability and fuel economy. About what kind of mpgs should I expect from it? Are there aftermarket mods that make a big difference on mpgs and are longer lasting for ball joints and such?

I hope this kinda makes sense, and thanks in advance for all the info.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to YT!

A 3rd Gen pickup with a 22re/4x4/5spd is one of the most highly desirable Toyota trucks out there, I hope you are able to get it. I wish I had as much sense as you when I was 16. A truck like this should be a GREAT truck for you and will be quite reliable for a 23yr old vehicle. If you take care of it, you could possibly have it...like FOREVER dude

With only 150k kms (around 75k miles?) this truck is just a baby! Many 22re vehicles go over 300k miles before needing a rebuild! As for BJs, many trucks are still running the stock BJs even at 200k. These parts are known to be fairly reliable on this generation of truck unless there is a problem that caused premature failure, like a ripped boot or loose socket, etc. Also really depends on how the vehicle was driven. If it was a farm truck that only saw dirt roads, I'd replace most of the front steering/movable parts before a truck that sat in a garage until gramps decided to take her to the hardware store. Replacing suspension parts might be smart if you decide to lift your truck. It's also never a bad idea to ask a seller if you can have the vehicle inspected before you purchase it. I can't imagine a seller would deny a 16yr old a pre-purchase safety inspection. There really shouldn't be anything at all to be concerned with if the truck is well taken care of, but if they do you'll have a list of things that you can learn to repair on your own with the great resource of YotaTech!

These trucks were not built for fuel economy, but instead are known for reliability and getting you from point A to B and back. In stock form I think many people get between mid teens-low 20s which is pretty good for a 4cyl 4wd truck that's 23 years old. My 93 gets roughly 15-18mpgs with 22re/4x4/5spd/33x12.5 Toyos/4.88s/manual hubs/2" lift. I still have a stock exhaust, but supposedly full exhaust around 2" can give 1-2 MPGs.

Other than perhaps a future full exhaust, regular maintenance will be your best friend at keeping good fuel economy and reliability. Things that kill MPGs are: lifting to the sky, bigger tires especially adding taller and heavier tires without re-gearing, not keeping up on full vehicle maintenance, ADD 4wd system, lots of skinny pedal, etc.

Good luck with the truck!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info highonpottery!
I was planning on getting an inspection through my insurance, it costs $20 for 110 point I think. I will defiantly looking into the bigger exhaust too.

I am looking forward to continuing being a part of YotaTech!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Welcome;

You could spend the next 6 months just reading threads on here.

just use all over commonsense look to see if anything just does not look right check the frame and the floor.

It all comes down to just how it was treated the low mileage could go either way lots of very rough short trips or not used much at all