Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Key won't come out!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key won't come out!!!!!!!

So I was trying to figure out why my transfer case wouldn't stay in 4lo. I pulled the cover off of the shift levers inside the truck thinking that maybe something was limiting the throw on the t-case lever. (it ended up being that the linkage was to short)

So I go to start the truck up, it turns over, then I shut it off, but now I can't get the key past the "acc" marking on the ignition and the key won't come out.

I had to unplug the battery to get it out. When I plugged the battery back in, I still had the same problem. Any help?
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um break the key off in the ignition, then you dont need it anymore.best mod i ever did. actually i dont have any good info for you.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Has the key ever gotten 'stuck' in the ignition before? If so, you probably have a bent wafer inside the lock. The only thing that would really cause this is you, or someone in the past has tried to take the key out of the ignition without having it in the neutral position. Sometimes ya get in a hurry and try taking the key out too soon without fully turning it to neutral. I know, I've done it myself (never caused any damage for me) but I've seen plenty of people screw up their ignition because of this.

Last edited by JohnRaven; 07-09-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by 85toy
um break the key off in the ignition, then you dont need it anymore.best mod i ever did. actually i dont have any good info for you.
Thanks for the laugh. I needed that, was gettin real stressed about stuff w/ the runner.

Originally Posted by JohnRaven
Has the key ever gotten 'stuck' in the ignition before? If so, you probably have a bent wafer inside the lock. The only thing that would really cause this is you, or someone in the past has tried to take the key out of the ignition without having it in the neutral position. Sometimes ya get in a hurry and try taking the key out too soon without fully turning it to neutral. I know, I've done it myself (never caused any damage for me) but I've seen plenty of people screw up their ignition because of this.
The key has never got stuck before. Could i have done something to the computer in the trans to make the brain think the car is still in gear?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 PM

I'm assuming this is an auto.... what the problem is, there is a computer in front of the shifter. that tells the key that you are in park. just disconnect the wires and it will work again. the box is about 2x2 and says " computer, shift lock control. it's gray on one side and black on the other.

Last edited by wrnchplr; 07-10-2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 AM

I think i found the problem, now how do i fix it?

When I pulled the transmission shift knob off I found a small plastic piece with a spring attached. The plastic piece is adjustable by turning it.

When I put the cover back on, that is when I had my problems with the key no coming out. After playing around with it, I realized that underneath the shift lever is a little notch that guides the shifter up and down.

The problem is, when the shiftknob is all the way down, it causes the little guide to come into contact with something (not sure what).When it is in contact with this item the key won't come out. When I pull the screws from the shift knob, it pops up about 1/2", seperates the guide from whatever it is hitting and the key comes out.

I have tried all kinds of adjustments with the spring and plastic piece and it either makes the guide to high, where it won't shift or to low where the key won't come out.

Does anyone know how to fix this. I tried unplugging the shift lock box, but then I just couldn't shift.

Last edited by DWEINBERG01; 07-12-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 AM

5speed FTW