Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Installing Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Installing Engine

Here's a newbie question....

I'm still a ways off from installing my rebuilt 22re engine back into my truck but was wondering before I put the head back on the block. The block is on a stand. The chain "hooks" are on the head. If I torque down the head onto the block while it's on the stand along with all the other pieces, and then use the hoist to put the engine back in, will I be compromising the head bolts or more importantly the seal of the head gasket in any negative way? It seems there would be a lot of weight on those bolts?

Last edited by Grego92; 10-25-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You'll be fine I would worry about more important things. All most engines are pulled by the heads. Have fun.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep us updated please? If you can, I find this stuff really cool and always like hearing about what people are doing and what progress they are making. Also any problems you may encounter, not that I hope you do in any way but so that I can better understand on how to fix/avoid them. Keep up the good work brother.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:43 PM

I wasn't concerned about pulling the engine out with a hoist, because I know I was replacing the head gasket anyhow. I'm concerned about putting it back in and ruining the seal if I torque down the head onto the block first, and then attaching chains to the head and lifting and turning the engine in the air getting it into the engine bay and lining it up with the transmission. I believe maintaining a good head gasket seal is pretty important so I want to be sure, otherwise I'll just put the block in and then put the head back on afterwards. I'll just ask Ted from engnbldr since I bought a cam from him, maybe he has some pointers or tricks. I'll post up his response on this thread.

It's pretty hard for a newbie like me to take photos and provide reports like I've seen on the boards, big cudos to those guys who have! I'm so dang worried about everything, the last thing on my mind is to document my progress. But as I run into problems I will definitely be posting pics and questions that I can hopefully have answered.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Don't worry about it your fine. Remember these engines are also hoisted in the factory to put them in the trucks.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I installed every engine with aluminum heads via available bolts holes in the side of the block..... I wouldn't worry so much about compromising the HG... But it's best to install it from the cast block IMHO.>>>>>

Done it twice in 1.5 years and both times worked flawlessly... Plus, it allowed me to pivot the block front to back to wiggle it in to the bell housing/trans-shaft.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the reassurance, and I really like your way Mark. I'll try Mark's way first and then use the hooks if it doesn't work out. As you can see, there will be two yotatech assisted built engines in the South Bay soon, except you have a 261 cam and I'll have a 268 from engnbldr.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I pulled mine out twice after rebuilding it via the head. (Don't ask me why). I hammer on this engine quite alot and have had zero issues with the head gasket like alot of others have had with the rock head gaskets. I did however after going in after 500 miles and resetting my valve lash I did re-torque the head bolts to the 65 ft-lb that EB recommends.

A load leveler on the engine hoist makes a big difference in tilting the engine as well.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 10-26-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Grego.... HILARIOUS>>> I JUST NOW realized that you were the one who hit me up on CL! hahahaha. GOOD TO SEE YA AT IT, HOMIE! Let me know if I can lend a hand.... Can't promise anything, but I will gladly stop by if I can, k?

PS> Do it either way, Grego.... Just my personal opinion.... Mainly because it just URKED me doing it by the aluminum head. However, as said, it's OFTENNNNNN done that way, ...without any incident. One of the main reasons I did this, this way, Grego..... I wanted to squeeze it in and pull it out the second rebuild install withOUT pulling the hood. I ended up pulling the hood to install, but got it out w/out pulling the hood. All I did was push the hood up a lil further and prop the hood peg further back in the hood/securely of course. Yet, ...it's so easy to remove and install the hood, it's worth it to remove it.... makes it MUCH easier and less thinking.

PSS> Let me know if you need some help, k? Maybe we could knock it out much faster with some extra hands/eyes on the job, eh?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Engine Leveler...good idea to have around, it was $10 to rent but I passed since I was just pulling it out, but I'll be sure to grab that also when it's time to put back in.

I'll give you a holler if I need some hands Mark, but should be ok, thanks for the offer! After I'm done we'll hook up and go for a ride or do a local camp trip.