Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

how hard is it to change a 86 2wd to a 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how hard is it to change a 86 2wd to a 4wd?

im sure this has been asked before so forgive me. i know the frames are differant and i actually had a a frame from a 85 but it would have been alota work to switch everything and i had none of the suspension so i scrapped it. my buddy told me theres a way to do it by welding some stuff so im curious if anyone has done this. im also considering putting a mustang 5.0 motor in it.depending on whats easier, although i love these 22r motors so who knows
Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If you are considering a solid axle swap, it is not that much more work. You'll need an engine, matching tranny and t-case and have to work up a crossmember for the t-case and cut the holes in the tunnel for the t-case shifter. Or you can see if you can find a similar 4WD model for sale and buy that and sell your 2WD.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
If you are considering a solid axle swap, it is not that much more work. You'll need an engine, matching tranny and t-case and have to work up a crossmember for the t-case and cut the holes in the tunnel for the t-case shifter. Or you can see if you can find a similar 4WD model for sale and buy that and sell your 2WD.
yea ideally get a 4wd with a dead 22r for cheap. but here in wa state people like to wheel and yotas arent cheap except if its 2wd. people want 1500 for a 86 ish 4wd with a bad motor!!i have a extra 86 5.0l HO motor that i would probably use if i whent that route. kinda like to keep the 22r though for gas purposes. so would independent front suspension more or less work than the 85 on back solid axle on this 2wd frame?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

I would think putting 4WD IFS onto a 2WD frame would be a major exercise in fabrication. There are likely reasons the frames are different between the 2WD and 4WDs, at least in the pickups. However, the 2WD frame makes a good SAS platform, as it has a higher arch up front to clear the front axle with less lift and I've heard there is less cutting to do on a 2WD SAS than on a 4WD. Some threads on taht topic on the Pirate4x4.com Pickup/4Runner forum if you search.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:35 AM

Oh cool never thought it was supposed to be hard going from ifs to sas on a 4wd frame. But now that I think about it, it would be as much work no matter if its a 2wd or 4wd 86+
Old 12-18-2008, 06:15 PM

ok so for a sas what other axles are good canidates? like ranger axles? i want to do a sas as close to factory as possible all from junkyard parts.i want to keep it simple, im not going to be doing any h.c. wheeling in it.
also another noob question i cant us my 2wd trans with a transfercase can i? im asuming the output shaft is too long??also what about the steering stuff on my 86? do i have to change it?
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

'79-'85 front Toyota axle or a DiamondAxle.com one, or any passenger side drop solid front axle would work. If you go non-Toyota axle, they you'll need to mess with custom steering, brakes and drive line setup.

2WD tranny has a tailhousing which the driveshaft slip yoke fits into. In a 4WD tranny, you have no tailhousing on the tranny, rather the t-case bolts up to it and then the t-case bolts to it with the driveshaft connecting to an output flange:

Or you could do a custom divorced transfer case setup w/ short shaft between the tranny and case.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:54 PM

Yea I understand the way th transfercase fits but can it work on a 2wd trans if you remove the tail housing?I think the output shaft is differant. Can a ranger front axle or small blazer axle be used or is the blazer ifs on the small one and jimmy/bravado? These rigs are easier to find at the boneyards.I've yet to see a 4wd let alone solid axle at my local cheap yard. What about nissian or other import axles?are there options on which transfercases bolt up? My truck has a 4spd manual which is odd since I thought I read all trucks were a 5 spd after 83. Its not a t5 is it?sorry so many questionsm I'm just a 5.0 mustang guy lol
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM

Rangers / Blazers / Nissans everything is all some sort of ifs and not a solid axle, so you wont be swapping an axle from one of them under your 2wd... In fact I doubt you'll do it anyways.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dlarrivee
Rangers / Blazers / Nissans everything is all some sort of ifs and not a solid axle, so you wont be swapping an axle from one of them under your 2wd... In fact I doubt you'll do it anyways.
doubt ill do what?
im thinking a jeep cherokee set up would work. i just got a 86 cherokee a few days ago. and i love how its geared stock so i think a 84-wathever year cherokee set of axles would be nice on the yota.cheap and theres tons of jeeps at the boneyard. i think its a dana 30 in the front. no matter i would just grab both axles off a jeep and go with that.cheapest easiestway i can see so far.its like $100 a axle cant beat that.whats the best donor car for leafsprings?
as far as your doubt as to wether ill swap my truck is a un educated assumption. considering ive swapped more motors into 4cyclinder mustangs than you have probably own cars i think youre silly.i buy sell and build cars. ive had around 20 cars in the last 4 years and own 3 mustangs,truck and jeep so save your assumptions before you get flamebroiled. the newb title doesnt mean im 18 and new to cars.im here for information on a make im not as knowledgable on as others.not rude comments from someone with as many posts on here as me.maybe if you had some rep on here your comment might be taken seriously.merry x mas
Old 12-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

You need to download the Toyota FSM (factory service manual) and read up on the transmissions, might help. I think mrdoug on here has a W56 5 speed 4WD trans he wants to sell. I would chunk the 4 speed. They actually hung on a lot longer than 83 in the 2WD I think. maybe even 88 or so.

I agree that a solid axle install would likely be the easiest.

I have an 87 short bed single cab 4WD truck body and frame I would give you for free if you want to haul them from oklahoma. I would want like $400 to include the complete suspension still installed. It is an IFS truck with 4.10 gears. It is a parts truck so you would want to drop your nice body on it.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you get started on this project make sure to get pics.

Are you really gonna throw jeep axles under your truck?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
When you get started on this project make sure to get pics.

Are you really gonna throw jeep axles under your truck?
yea im pretty sure. its only because theres alot of jeeps and they are one of the few that didnt go to a ifs on the cherokee.im all about the cost and availability.if toyota 4wd trucks ever ended up at the local pull a part i would go with them instead. i go to the junkyard sometimes a 5 times a week or more and have been going atleast a few times every month for years and have never laid eyes on a 4wd yota not even ifs and i never see 4wd chevy fullsize trucks or too many fords with 4wd i do know though the bronco II used a solid front axle and i see a few of those. so i think i really only have 2 cheap choices then and i want matching gear ratios for both axles! so i cant be hunting down yota axles that might not match.all yotas are a divorced transfer case? or just most? that leaves more options i geuss.i just want to keep things very very simpleand easy to fix when something breaks later on
Old 12-25-2008, 09:53 PM

I don't think any yota transfer cases are divorced.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:06 PM

i have front and rear axles, transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts, all from an 83 yota pickup if your interested... its 22r/4spd but the frame was rusted thru and the motor was blown... i also have 7 inch skyjacker leaf springs for all 4 corners and all the steering parts are on the axle still

Last edited by eich75; 12-25-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by 86gt
yea im pretty sure. its only because theres alot of jeeps and they are one of the few that didnt go to a ifs on the cherokee.im all about the cost and availability.if toyota 4wd trucks ever ended up at the local pull a part i would go with them instead. i go to the junkyard sometimes a 5 times a week or more and have been going atleast a few times every month for years and have never laid eyes on a 4wd yota not even ifs and i never see 4wd chevy fullsize trucks or too many fords with 4wd i do know though the bronco II used a solid front axle and i see a few of those. so i think i really only have 2 cheap choices then and i want matching gear ratios for both axles! so i cant be hunting down yota axles that might not match.all yotas are a divorced transfer case? or just most? that leaves more options i geuss.i just want to keep things very very simpleand easy to fix when something breaks later on
LOL

There's a reason why Toyota's don't end up at the local Pull-A-Part. For one they are just about impossible to kill, and those that do die get picked up by someone else, or Nix 99 gets them.

There are too many Toyota Recyclers out there at the auctions picking them up.

But really.... somebody needs to make it mandatory to read a "I want to convert 2WD to 4WD" thread as soon as they join. They can't post untill they can prove they read it all....

It's really not worth the extra effort you have to put into it.

Yes, it has been done before. Somebody also put a LS1 V-8 engine into a Cadillac Catera, oh and they also converted it into RWD. Does that make it a good idea? or hell, does it even make it something than maybe 2 people in the whole world would want to undertake? No.

I know it sounds like a great idea. That you can get a 2WD for really cheap and do it up exactly how you want. But you'll spend so much money getting parts and trying to set it up right (like the do from the factory) that it's a waste of time.

But honestly, I have no idea why you would go out and buy some other Axles that are actually weaker (when you compare stock) than Toyota Axles, then go through all the work of cutting off all the brackets you need and welding them back on.

You just need the Soild Axle from a Toyota. Then you can change out the 3rd member to get the gearing you want. Much easier that way.

Honestly, if you want to do it on a budget you can't beat stock!

Spend the extra $500 - $1000, even with IFS you'll be able to do pretty good.

You'll spend more money trying to source all those little parts to put together your steering, braking, etc.

I also have no idea why you would put a 5.0 motor in there. You'll find with Toyota's you need gearing not power.

Just my opinion... Anything is possible with enough money and time. But I think if you hang out here for awile and read some threads, you'll find much easier ways to get where you want to be.

So if you do decide to go through with it, make a build thread and show us! This is one thing I have to see! Lol .

Originally Posted by eich75
i have front and rear axles, transmission, transfer case, and driveshafts, all from an 83 yota pickup if your interested... its 22r/4spd but the frame was rusted thru and the motor was blown... i also have 7 inch skyjacker leaf springs for all 4 corners and all the steering parts are on the axle still

I would love to see a shipping quote for sending that to WA .
Old 12-26-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 86gt
doubt ill do what?
im thinking a jeep cherokee set up would work. i just got a 86 cherokee a few days ago. and i love how its geared stock so i think a 84-wathever year cherokee set of axles would be nice on the yota.cheap and theres tons of jeeps at the boneyard. i think its a dana 30 in the front. no matter i would just grab both axles off a jeep and go with that.cheapest easiestway i can see so far.its like $100 a axle cant beat that.whats the best donor car for leafsprings?
as far as your doubt as to wether ill swap my truck is a un educated assumption. considering ive swapped more motors into 4cyclinder mustangs than you have probably own cars i think youre silly.i buy sell and build cars. ive had around 20 cars in the last 4 years and own 3 mustangs,truck and jeep so save your assumptions before you get flamebroiled. the newb title doesnt mean im 18 and new to cars.im here for information on a make im not as knowledgable on as others.not rude comments from someone with as many posts on here as me.maybe if you had some rep on here your comment might be taken seriously.merry x mas

do you have any idea why jeeps seriously outnumber yotas, fords, and chevys in the boneyards? cuz jeeps are made horribly, and dana 30s are weak, however, the dana 60s are strong. trust me just go with a standard toyota axle
Old 12-26-2008, 06:56 AM

ha ha shipping would be outrageous
Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM

This guy is hilarious.

You're going to run a crappy D30 and D35 under your Toyota and put a 5.0L Ford engine in it too... Why bother starting with a 2wd Toyota then?