Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

filling tranny thru fill plug under shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
filling tranny thru fill plug under shifter

So, I've used Yotatech for advice and trouble-shooting for about 2 years now before needing to log-in and post. After searching existing threads... I just wanted to confirm something for peace of mind.

I understand that gear oil can be put into the transmission by removing the boot around the shifter inside the cab, etc. However, I wanted to be certain that using the ?fill plug? (hex bolt) in the picture I've attached with this post... would cause the lube to end up in the same place. In case it is hard to tell from the pic (taken with cell phone)... the plug is right below where the shaft of the shifter enters the top of the tranny housing. You should even be able to see the inside of the rubber boot at the top of the pic.

I didn't want to start off by asking a stupid question, but I was confused as to why others were being told to fill their trannys by removing the shifter boot inside the cab whenever they had stripped out fill plugs on the side of the housing... especially if they could have filled where I did by accident. Yes, I'll admit it... I simply overlooked the actual fill plug like an idiot newb... and then used the one pictured instead. Just want to be sure I didn't squirt in a quart of gear oil where it doesn't belong.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails filling tranny thru fill plug under shifter-yotatech.jpg  
Old 09-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
That is the shift detent. Don't pull that out.

You need to either fill it in the top of the shifter, or find the fill plug about 1/2 way up the trans.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Either way you go about filling the transmission you still need to pull the fill plug out to know when it is full.

If you have a stripped plug just get it out and replace it.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually pull the shifter out completely to fill mine ... much easier than dealing with a pump to get it up into the fill hole.

You need to pour VERY slowly and have someone keep an eye out for it coming out the fill hole or you'll have a huge puddle under the truck (don't ask how I know that)!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:33 AM

Thanks for responding fellas, but here's the deal... I already DID put oil in through there a couple of weeks ago. I even drove 100 miles straight yesterday with no problems... I just want to be sure I didn't create a ticking time bomb, so to speak... since I am going to be driving cross-country in a couple of weeks. I don't want any problems between the coasts. I would rather know now what I can do, if anything, or at least understand exactly where the 2/3 of a quart of gear oil ended up and what consequences I could expect as a result.

Maybe a link to a diagram of that part of the tranny housing or even an explanation of what is going on inside the part of the trannny housing pictured would be most beneficial at this point if anyone is willing. Of course, I'm the newb who put the gear oil in the wrong hole in the first place, but here is what I've observed so far:

The hex nut in the pic comes out like any other fill plug... its even 15/16" like all the other fill and drain plugs under my truck. I know now that the actual tranny fill plug is 17mm. The threads in the hole that is left go back pretty far. I have to stick most of my finger in before I can turn it down into the open space inside. This led me to believe that if someone were pouring gear oil in through the top like some suggest doing... then it would trickle over my finger were I to have it inside the hole described above. Unless there is more than just one open space inside that part of the tranny housing, then I can't see how the oil I put in there wouldn't have ended up in the same place as oil poured in above it (through the top by removing shifter boot). Just to be sure... this is an '88 pickup with a 22RE. Any insight here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:18 AM

Ok... so I figured it out for myself. Sorry guys... I jumped the gun. A bit more independent research and I could've post-poned having to register and post for the first time... and spared ya'll a stupid question.

Ends up I pulled out a shift restrict pin and used it as a fill hole. Although I did this on accident, it does seem as though this would be another way to get lube into the tranny... as opposed to removing the shift lever retainer and filling from the top (inside the cab). Obviously, this wouldn't be an easier solution if you fill from the top in order to avoid having to pump it in from underneath in the first place. Also, it wouldn't be an answer to a stripped out tranny fill plug... since you need to pull the actual fill plug in order to see that the oil level is where it should be. However, for those who drain their transmissions before finding out that their fill plug is stripped... this could be an easier solution to getting lube back in and driving without having to wait to remove the fill plug first. Seems easier than filling from the top... just refer to a capacities chart in order to know exactly how much should go in for the time being (3.2 quarts if I remember correctly). Of course, you gotta be cool with pumping it in from underneath still.

If any of you seasoned vets would like to check behind me, I would appreciate it... just in case I'm missing something here. To make it easier on ya, check out this pdf of the FSM for my truck:

http://granolaboy.net/temp/toyota_tr...4runner_88.pdf

page 429 (MT-37) shows everything I tried to describe above. Seems to me oil entering through where the restrict pins go would end up in the tranny where it belongs. So the only thing I should need to do now is pull the actual fill plug and let the excess 2/3 quart of oil drain until it is level with the fill hole.

Sorry for asking what I should have figured out on my own, but thanks for any and all responses. Hopefully won't need you guys again anytime soon... but its good to know ya'll are there.