Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Engine swap options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine swap options?

Hi. I am new, please do not maim me, as I did some searching before I posted...

Anyway, I bought an '86 4Runner about a year ago, and maybe drove it once before it died.

22RE 104k miles, 2 owners (#2 = me)

Apparently the original owners did not take care of it, timing chain cut through a wall in the water pump, washed out the block.
After replacing the water pump, timing chain and sprockets, and some gaskets, it had a real nasty knock.
So I am thinking just toss the engine for a new 22RE... which brings us here.

After a year of using it as a storage shed, I am wondering what my options are for swaps.

Someone suggested a 3.2L Yamaha V6 out of a SHO Taurus, but is that even plausible?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never heard about the 3.2 Yamaha swap...you really must've done your homework with the search thing.

I think your best bet would be to take it to a shop and have them repair the block(if applicable). My dad had a 22RE truck in his shop about 2 weeks ago with that EXACT problem. We had the block repaired, replaced the water pump, and timing chain, and gaskets, we ran a little diesel through with the oil we put in, to get the water/nasty mocha looking watery oil sludge out, ran the truck for a about 20 minutes, drove around a little, then changed the oil again, and it is fine.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 AM

My cousin is a Toyota mechanic (and fanatic) and he told me I would probably be better off dropping something new in.

And personally, I want to make this my little project.

I was thinking like a V6 out of a newer SR5, but then again, I am new to the whole modding scene.
Almost everything I have done under the hood of a car has been with stuff meant to be there by the manufacturer

Oh, the SHO suggestion came from my uncle, not here lol.

Last edited by Falx; 04-22-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Falx
My cousin is a Toyota mechanic (and fanatic) and he told me I would probably be better off dropping something new in.

And personally, I want to make this my little project.

I was thinking like a V6 out of a newer SR5, but then again, I am new to the whole modding scene.
Almost everything I have done under the hood of a car has been with stuff meant to be there by the manufacturer
And that's not a bad thing either, since I've spent most of my modding budget on maintenence.... I never knew how many things get worn out when you've got a 4Runner with 180,000 miles on it. Mine didn't run when I got it, so I swapped in another 3.0 V6 from a running 4Runner, and swapped over the interior. I can never sell my 4Runner since I am sooo far burried in it, meaning that I've spent more on it than it's value. But, it's not quietly rusting away in a junkyard somewhere, and it is very faithful. If you really want a project, keep the 22RE, and get a lift, and tires, lockers and gears. But that's a path that's been walked down many times, and there are literally hundreds of pages of info about just that here on YT. If you are really creative, and you have a 3.2 Yamaha motor sitting around, you could make that work, but it's probably not gonna be easy, and you will likely have people interested in the swap, and at the same time, there won't be much help available.

Whatever you wanna do. It's your 4Runner.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 AM

The problem with the 3.2 Yamaha seems to be the tranny, imho.
Again, newbie, but the bellhousing config on the 3.2 would need a Ford T-5, and it is my understanding that is a RWD tranny, so would I lose 4WD?

It is all on the drawing board really, until I get some money to budget towards it.
In the end, I would like to do something interesting, yet not really on the beaten path of mods.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Falx
The problem with the 3.2 Yamaha seems to be the tranny, imho.
Again, newbie, but the bellhousing config on the 3.2 would need a Ford T-5, and it is my understanding that is a RWD tranny, so would I lose 4WD?

It is all on the drawing board really, until I get some money to budget towards it.
In the end, I would like to do something interesting, yet not really on the beaten path of mods.
See what I mean, there is a lot of potential problems, but the end result would be oh so sweet. Although I'm not really sure that a high revving Yamaha motor would be best suited for off road use...unless you like breaking stuff on the rocks, or you like baja style racing.

If you really wanna turn some heads, pretty much anything with a turbo makes people on YT go bananas.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:57 AM

Personally, I could live with lacking off-road ability, as long as I can play in the mud. I never was much for rock crawling.

Hmmm...

If I did go for a Yamaha 3.2, even if I got stuck with RWD, it could all prove interesting.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

You could get a locker of some sort, and still hang with most, even with 2WD.

But I think you're probably after just being able to have some fun, and having something that not many people have, and not have to worry about it. They did make a turbo 22RE, or a 3VZE 3.0 V6 probably wouldn't be too hard to swap in, or the 5VZFE? 3.4 is a common swap among YT'ers, and the 3.4 can be supercharged. But as with most any engine swap, you will never return your investment, and you will become "burried" in your rig, like me, and the engine swaps are expensive, and labor intensive.

It's much more fun to play in the mud when you have 4X4 and you know you will always have that to fall back on in case you get stuck, since if you only have 2WD, you're probably gonna catch some crap when people have to pull you out of the mud every so often.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:11 AM

All in all, I still want some other options to consider, as the idea is still in the planning stage, and I have no money.

Speaking of money, I bought the 4Runner in the first place since yotas are crazy reliable, so I do not mind being buried in my investment. Otherwise, I probably would have tried to get it out of my hair and off the back lawn by now, lol.

I should get some sleep... 3am.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

I'll get my money's worth out of mine by not having to make any payments, or having to do anything but change oil, and put gas in it, and if I'm feeling nice, I'll hose 'er down every once in a while.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
some other swap info, if you're not dead set on the yama:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f147...-s-info-96893/
Old 04-27-2008, 07:57 PM

I say go diesel! Cummins 4bt!!! Cummins FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:52 PM

i wouldnt be too hot on that Ford SHO motor. the thing makes like 225hp or somewhere around that.. but is a rev motor. a toy 3.4 could easily make the same power and at more usable rpm. also, you would pretty much be in uncharted territory swapping that ford, but there is a ton of info here about the 3.4, and you can use your stock tranny and keep 4wd. i just cant see any good reason to use the ford motor other than for shock value.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man, stormin, thats mean, suggesting dropping a 3.0 in there. lol. id prob do a supra straight 6 turbo swap, thats an awesome swap for racing. not sure bout mudding, but it should do great. another great one is a 350 swap. now i agree with keeping toyota parts in a toyota truck... but i just love the 350
Old 04-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
man, stormin, thats mean, suggesting dropping a 3.0 in there. lol. id prob do a supra straight 6 turbo swap, thats an awesome swap for racing. not sure bout mudding, but it should do great. another great one is a 350 swap. now i agree with keeping toyota parts in a toyota truck... but i just love the 350
I"m not suggesting it, but it is an option....but if you're gonna do a swap, I wouldn't do that much work for that 3.0. It's a good motor, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't be that mean to suggest someone swap it for their 22RE.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM

7mgte!!! Thats a great swap. I'll post a vid of a toy truck with one...it's sweet. I also REALLY like Chevy 350's. Great engines, cheap to upgrade. MANY parts...horrible gas mileage...lol
Old 04-27-2008, 10:57 PM

This is totally my truck...lol
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8lZtMTX-8Kk

LOL...I'm pretty sure it beat the mustang
http://youtube.com/watch?v=eThx4b267WU&feature=related
Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by colsoncj
some other swap info, if you're not dead set on the yama:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f147...-s-info-96893/
Cool, thanks

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I say go diesel! Cummins 4bt!!! Cummins FTW!!!!!!!!!!!
Lol, that would be interesting...

Originally Posted by toy power
i wouldnt be too hot on that Ford SHO motor. the thing makes like 225hp or somewhere around that.. but is a rev motor. a toy 3.4 could easily make the same power and at more usable rpm. also, you would pretty much be in uncharted territory swapping that ford, but there is a ton of info here about the 3.4, and you can use your stock tranny and keep 4wd. i just cant see any good reason to use the ford motor other than for shock value.
5VZ-FE = 3.4?

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
7mgte!!! Thats a great swap. I'll post a vid of a toy truck with one...it's sweet. I also REALLY like Chevy 350's. Great engines, cheap to upgrade. MANY parts...horrible gas mileage...lol
Supra had the 7M-GTE I think, right?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:56 AM

7mgte would be awesome. my next big project is going to be a 4.3 vortec, T350 swap.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did a Buick 231 (3.8 ltr.) t350 swap in the early '80s and it's worked out real well, I've replaced the engine several times but it fits real well, is easy to work on, has lots of torque, and parts (mounts, headers, output shaft) are easy to get.