Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Cold Start Problem no choke

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Start Problem no choke

Ok so the cold weather hit my area put my 88 toyota pickup 22RE SR5 on the road for the winter went to fire her up and wouldnt run if i wasnt on the gas,ok choke isnt working took apart my air idler valve looked gunked up so ran to the junkyard and snagged one for $20 instead of $240 lol.Cleaned it out didnt really take much was in good shape put it in and the choke worked awesome .Went to go fire the truck up later that night meanwhile is about 30 degrees out stumbled in its face again unless i was on the gas...next day took the valve off again and looked at it cleaned it and sprayed it again put it back in and the choke worked. shut if down let it cool off for 2 hours went back out fired it up same thing stumbled on its face unless on the gas.. i know there is a cold start switch and an injector but why does it work everytime i take it off then put it back on? theres a lever in there that moves in guessing due to heat makes sense due to the inlet and outlet of coolant line on the valve...the spring in it seemed good pulls it back to close the valve to choke the truck just cant seem to get this im gonna take a look again tomm. but any feedback is greatly appreciated iv'e looked this up cant seem to find and exact answers, not totally new to the 22re rebuild this motor a little over a year ago,idk if its the coldstart injector doesnt make sense to be worked when disasembled the re assembled has a new fuel pump 4 months old new fuel filter done the same time as pump all new vacuum lines,gaskets,throttle body cleaned recently as well as intake manifold just baffles me what do you guys think....
Old 11-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

The air valve is not a choke and works nothing like one .

It is open when the engine is cold it closes when it gets warm

Is the vacuum hose going up to the throttle body in good shape.

At 30 degrees I think you have some other issues I have some of these engines I bypassed the AAV that start fine at that temp. I have heardtell of a lot in the warmer climates . Just disconnect them and leave them off.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:25 PM

Hrm...thought the air idler valve or "Auxilary Air Valve" controls the choke.. or is the system that does, thats what ive found out at least on this site..anyways tryed unplugging it does the same thing, replaced the coolant temp switch,nothing changed if your saying the AAV does not control your choke then what does?makes sense for the AAV to control that, cause i cant find anything else in the book that deals with coolant temp and vacuum... gonna clean the BVSV "Bi- Metal Vacumm Switching Valve" tomm. thats really the last thing that has to do with vacuum and coolant which would have to do with the choke and water temp....ans still why would the choke be working only once when i take the AAV off then put it back on?

Last edited by Yotaman12; 11-26-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:36 PM

Anyone have any insight on this???