Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Carb Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carb Questions

Hola guys,

Let me start out by saying I did do a few searches before i started this thread, but my questions weren't really answered. I'm looking for actual 1st person experiences or knowledgable sources.

Im running a bone stock 1980 4x4 pickup with the original 20r. 138k original miles. it has a MASSIVE exhaust leak at the head, so i'm getting it helicoiled and throwing on a doug thorley smog legal header as i live in CA. on to the questions...

I wanted to upgrade the carb, and was thinking of 2 options. The first is a weber 32/36, and the second is the aisin carb from the 22r. They are both progressive 2bbl carbs that flow almost identicle CFM.

Will the weber 32/36 have trouble with CA smog? I think they are smog legal but im not sure.

How hard are the webers to tune? im mechanically inclined, but not a mechanic.

I was thinking a carb from a 22r would be cheaper. Would the 22r carb also give me smog troubles?

Since if flows so much more than stock carb will i need a new fuel pump?

Will it flow too much for the 20r engine?

Is it even worth it?

Thanks in advance, i'm having trouble getting clear answers.

Edit: I've looked into the kits and adapters from LC engineering for both options, as well as the Redline Weber stuff.

Last edited by thebrick; 03-17-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by thebrick
Will the weber 32/36 have trouble with CA smog? I think they are smog legal but im not sure.
Maybe. Check into which weber you are interested in, some are smog-legal, some aren't.

I was thinking a carb from a 22r would be cheaper. Would the 22r carb also give me smog troubles?
Also, maybe. This depends on several factors:

1) How mechanically capable are you?
2) Do you live in a county where you need to smog regularly, or just on purchase and sale?
3) What condition is the Carb in? Newly Rebuilt will work better.

Since if flows so much more than stock carb will i need a new fuel pump?
For an Aisin? I don't think so. For a Weber? Possibly. Does your rig have a mechanical or electric fuel pump?

Will it flow too much for the 20r engine?
No.

Is it even worth it?
Maybe, depending on your kind of useage, and the state of your existing carb. This is certainly not the most ease/cost effective way of getting power out of this motor, but it will probably help a little. The header will get you much more "bang for your buck". Usually, the best power related modifications to 20R and 22R motors involve ways to make the exhaust system "breathe" better. In most cases, unless you have done serious modification, additional fuel delivery is not a priority.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM

smog legal weber carb 20r

Thanks.

I found out that the Weber 32/36 is on the Air resources Board list of approved modifications for my truck, so it is smog legal. I have heard people still have a little trouble smogging them though.

i decided to go with a 22r carb. LC engineering sells and adapter. I'm putting on a doug thorley header when i fix the exhaust leak @ the manifold, and i haven't rebuilt a carb yet, so i wanna give it a try. thanks.