Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Buying a 3rd gen T4R - Got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 3rd gen T4R - Got a few questions

Hey there. I have been looking at getting a 4runner for a while now and am just about commit to buying a '99 at a local dealership. I need something capable of towing my 2500 pound race car to the track, but I can't afford a dedicated tow vehicle, and I don't typically like driving trucks. Not to mention the 4runner gets much better MPG than any of the full size trucks. The one I'm looking at is a one owner vehicle and has been exceptionally well cared for. But before I buy, I have a few questions.

First. This one has a manual transmission (a must for me ). I noticed that if I shifted from a high RPM (above 3k), I felt a vibration in the clutch pedal and heard a noise that sounded like a grinding or buzzing. Is this a common problem with these SUVs? What do you guys think it could be? The clutch pedal feels fine and the tranny shifts well so I don't think it's the clutch itself. Maybe throwout bearing? Or air in the clutch lines?

Speaking of common problems...what are they?

Also, I really don't care for the factory cloth seats...they're not supportive at all and the cloth pattern is ugly, not to mention they're a terrible brown color. Does anyone know how hard it would be to swap in a leather seat from the same generation? (Or a later one preferably.) What other options do I have out there in terms of aftermarket seats? Can I bolt up pretty much any seat i want as long as I get the right brackets? I doubt this is something that very many people do, but I've been driving a sports car with bucket seats as my daily driver for a while now and like that feel, so I want something a little more supportive.

Last but not least (and sort of related to the seats issue), while I thought the ride was nice, the body roll is terrible. Yes I know, it's a 4500 pound SUV...but again, this will be my first SUV and I think it could use some stiffer aftermarket springs. What's out there, and what would you guys recommend? Not looking to raise it at this point.

Other than that I love this 4runner. Been a Toyota fan ever since I bought my first car (a Camry) and I'm looking forward to owning one again. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YT.

Clutch and 5spd tranny are probably fine as both are nearly bombproof and last forever. Most likely a simple fix. It's VERY rare to hear/read of any issues with the 5pds. Was the OG clutch ever replaced? How many miles does the 4runner have?

Originally Posted by RMRanger
Speaking of common problems...what are they?
Envy. '99 + 5spd is arguably the most desired combo.

Any front seats from a '96-'02 will drop right in - 4 bolts each. Some are very comfortable.

Theres plenty of after-market springs and shocks available that are 10x better than stock. *Search* for that info and good luck with your purchase.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 AM

Thanks. Admittedly I didn't search for info on the springs, but I did search on the other stuff to make sure there wasn't a thread like this already. I've been looking at Old Man Emu, there's a 4x4 shop near me that sells their stuff and I've read some good things about them since I made this post. Seems like they only make rear springs though...will search for more info.

The clutch has definitely been replaced at some point in its life...4runner has 100k on it and the clutch feels fine and does not slip. Why is a '99 + 5spd the most desirable combo? No idea what to search for to find that info...