Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

bilstein HDs and sonoran 1.2 lift

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bilstein HDs and sonoran 1.2 lift

ive searched and searched and i find conflicting reports (as i always will) so i must ask.

i bought these bilsteins HDs ("stock height" but i think they only come in 1 height) to use with pp 1 inch loweing springs... came to yota tech to get info on that and got very interesting in 4wheeling. after much research i am attending the 2nd Annual Chicago Toyota Jamboree at the cliffs to see how i like it. ive put a hold on all modd plans until then but i am DEFINITELY returning the lowering springs. but what of the bilstein HDs. is it possible to build a worthy 4x4 on them? i dont want 2 go cheap on this. i prefer to save up and wait for the perfect set up. could the bilsteins be part on that? or shud i return them as well?

im not going to be doing CRAZY trails. prob nothing past intermediate. but my tires will be toast by the end of summer and my stock suspension is dying quickly.

i have been looking at the sonoran steal 1.2 lift kit. are the bilsteins listed in thier kit the same as the ones that are in my garage? sonorans website called them "Bilstein 5125 Series Nickel Plated Adjustable Heavy Duty Front Shocks "

also on a side note, sonoran has this disclaimer on their website about the 1.2 kit...

"This lift kit is for a "well equipped" 4Runner. It is NOT for a stock truck. Ideally this lift is for a truck with custom front & rear bumper as well as rock sliders. If your truck has a stock front bumper, that is fine, but if you have a stock rear bumper, We would suggest you look at our System 7. At a bare minimum, if you have a stock rear bumper, you need to have at least a Class III trailer hitch installed with the complete stock rear bumper along with a set of functional rock sliders."

am i missing something? y would a truck HAVE to have a rear class 3 hitch or sliders or customer bumpers to use this kit? what if i dont have those yet but i am looking to in the future? do i have to wait to lift my 4runner? i dont get that...

sorry for the long post. cant wait 2 hear your answers. im gonna go pull my running boards while i wait for a reply! thanks guys
Old 07-18-2008, 08:57 AM

btw i plan on adding an ARB front bumper and ill b carrying some considerable weight for work and 4wheeling. i also need this vehicle to be a DD. can anyone attest to the street worthyness of a set up like the 1.2? i like my suspension like i like my drinks... STIFF

Last edited by SWPERIC; 07-18-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 AM

The kit is designed to accommodate the weight of the added armor front/middle/rear. If your rear is light you will get the “rake” with the 1.2. Street worthiness of the kit is better than stock; period. If you let Steve know where you are headed in terms of modification, he will guide you to the appropriate kit.

Don’t bother trying to piece a lift on your own or mix and match, buy the entire Sonoran Steel package. The customer service and product quality provided is second to none; anyone here using Sonoran products will tell you that.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bilsteins in the sonoran 1.2 kit are not the bilsteins you have. They are a better shock than the HD ones, and they have three different ride heights to adjust to, so you can tune your suspension a bit.

Sonoran 1.2 kit is a good choice. If your going to do it, do it right. Your saying you want to add all those things (bumper, sliders, etc), so might as well for for the good kit for it.

They are just suggesting to use that kit to its fullest extent you need a little bit of weight added on to your rig. The fj coils are gonna add some rake to your rig, which i like and i currently have some rake in my set up.

Your second post pretty much answered your questions, your adding weight to your truck and you want to wheel it, then i would go with the 1.2 system. The only difference between the 1.2 and 7.something is the rear springs. One uses fj80 springs the other uses ome springs.

Originally Posted by Vermejo
Don’t bother trying to piece a lift on your own or mix and match, buy the entire Sonoran Steel package. The customer service and product quality provided is second to none; anyone here using Sonoran products will tell you that.
Unless you plan on running coilovers up front, then sonoran also sells just the rear kit.

I pieced together my rear because i can fabricate those odds and ends that add up.

Last edited by crolison; 07-18-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

As I see it the big factor in which kit you should go with will be how much weight you consistently have in the back. With a stock bumper the LC coils will sit really high giving you the aussie-style/stink bug look with the rake of the vehicle. If you don't like that look then the 7.2 might be more to your liking.

I am running the 1.2 and I have a Sonoran Steel rear bumper that is pretty hefty (don't remember the exact weight but it is heavy...I believe it is 100+ lbs). With that weight and that of the custom crossmember, 315/75-16 MT/R underneath and the recovery gear I always keep in the back I still have a noticeable rake. It sat higher for a while until the coils finally settled a bit to where it is now. Personally I like the look and it performs outstanding offroad.

Give Steve a call and let him know what your plans are and what you want to do with your 4Runner. He will help you decide which kit is best suited for your application.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM

thanks alot guys. what do i do if i try to run my truck light/empty during daily driving to save on MGP and LOAD it down for work and 4wheeling? just live with the rake? will it still handle ok on the road? i can live with the rake and i like a stiff suspension.

sound the like common consensus is to return the bilsteins HD stock heights?

thanks again
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 AM

has anyone tried the sonoran 3.0 kit? i need 2 replace my suspension and tires badly and i want to do some upgrading but i am concerned the 1.2 or 7.2 kit is too aggressive for my otherwise stock truck. i do load it down on a weekly basis for work and would want to have decent performance on road but will also be doing some mild offroading. i was also considering throwing on a 1 or 1.5 inch body lift to try and fit 33s. any advice?
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going to change suspension and you want a little lift. You might as well do it right with the 1.2 or 7.2 systems. The only difference in them is the rear springs. 7.2 system sits level, but the 1.2 sits raked. If you haul weight weekly I don't see a problem running either system.

I am running ome 891's in my rear, middle ground from the 7.2-1.2 systems. And it rides great, and only goes down about an inch fully loaded with stuff. These are the heavy duty ome springs, you get the 890's in the 7.2 system and this should run good in what you described.

Body lifts in my opinion are not a good idea at all, your wanting 33's and the upper level sonoran steel systems will get you up high enough to run 33's.

What size 33's you planning on running?

I don't think they would be too aggressive for your stock truck, if you have future plans on adding more stuff do it right once and not spend more money later to do it again.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM

I was in your shoes last year and spent an endless amount of time on the web looking for the perfect set up for my 2000 4runner. LEt me save you the trouble and time. There is no perfect set up for a great ride, flex and heavy load capacity. It was not until I stumbled on this site did I even realize there was a guy in Arizona (Steve) that has done the research and testing and can help you figure out where you want to go with your ride. I have found the 1.2 is as good as it gets for my 4runner. It works well with mods listed in my sig. I am very pleased with all aspects of the 1.2. Superior ride and I finally got one of my SA 4runner friends to admit my 00 can really "cross em up." In other words- good flex. Steve is a wealth of knowledge and went above and beyond just selling me his suspension system. I have owned other IFS 4runners with different suspension set ups. This is the best one I have had so far. Again- I'm not sure what your looking for but Steve can guide you which helped me because I am not blessed with the tech knowledge that some have on this site but I do enjoy offroading.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by crolison
What size 33's you planning on running?
i really dont know enough about tire sizes yet to tell you. i was considering using my stock 5 spoke 16 inch alloys but i definatly want to be wider if i am lifting it so i was considering wheel spacers... i know i should get new rims with smaller backspacing but i love the look of the stock alloys. if i am going to get new rims, i want the basic ones that i see on alot yotas. i think they are american racing? they have like 10 holes in them instead of spokes.

i am ordering with sonoran 1.2 or 7.2 lift kit in the next two weeks. cant wait!

suggestions appreciated