Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Axle to Axle length?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Axle to Axle length?

I was trying to look around online for the axle to axle lengthe between a std cab, extended cab and 4runners. I know low center of gravity is important and basically the most stable device i should say is a perfect square right? well technically the std cabs are shorter axle to axle right? so wouldnt the best for ( low center of gravity ) be a std cab?

just wondering ( doing some reasearch ) lol like a good yota owner should do right?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
For side-side stability, wheel base is not a factor, only the track width and the height of the center of gravity of the vehicle. If you tip the vehicle over so that the center of gravity is outside of the wheel track, then it'll roll. Same for front-back. A longer wheel base is generally a bit more stable from rolling over backwards or forwards than a shorter wheel base.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:30 PM

yes i know that but i am just wondering if a 4runner or a std cab will be better for me. ( me personally ) i kinda want a 4runner so i can bring my friends or my gf and friends along. But if the wheelbase is longer meaning the standard cab is better for overall wheeling then ill prob get a std cab. Either way i get a 4runner im not bobbing it if i get a PU i am bobbing the bed. im just doing a lil research cuzzzz ill be getting a 4x4 soon and its going to a on road off road truck but i want to be able to do some pretty narly trails without worrying bout it. lol
Old 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Northwestwheeling09
yes i know that but i am just wondering if a 4runner or a std cab will be better for me. ( me personally ) i kinda want a 4runner so i can bring my friends or my gf and friends along. But if the wheelbase is longer meaning the standard cab is better for overall wheeling then ill prob get a std cab. Either way i get a 4runner im not bobbing it if i get a PU i am bobbing the bed. im just doing a lil research cuzzzz ill be getting a 4x4 soon and its going to a on road off road truck but i want to be able to do some pretty narly trails without worrying bout it. lol
Same wheel base 4Runner or std cab pickup (~103"), same width of axles. 4Runner is likely a little more top heavy, especially with the top on.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:55 PM

HMMMMM lol welll i guess it will allll come down to how much money i get to buy a 4x4 then? and at the time whats avalible, i want a stock, GOOD running, and fairly decent looking rig. Here in oregon its hard to find a stock sas truck thats 3000 or less. And if i get a 4runner id want a 85 that way its sfa already. I would rather not SAS any vehicle just for the fact of the cost or the build. Not that i cant do it. well thank you!
Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
a "stock sas truck" wouldn't be a stock truck, lol.
if you want a stock truck with a SFA, then look at 85 or below.
you could always do a custom SAS and use the
Old 12-20-2009, 11:22 PM

well technically you could say SAS = straight axle suspension .... so in a way im right hahahah but yes SFA sorry for not using proper wording!