Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Air Conditioning HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning HELP!

Ok first off I have searched and cant find info on yotatech about troubleshooting the AC system. So here we go I have a 92 4runner with the 3.0 6cyl. My ac blew luke warm air and was not getting cold at all. When I turned on the ac it would draw on the motor like it should but no cold air. So I get one of those recharg kits from kragen. I follow directions and hook it up to the low side and charge, but when I do the guage goes all the way up. In the danger zone, so I try the ac and still no cooler. I then blead the low port till nothing comes out and then recharge again and same outcome. At this point I dont know what to do, any help would be great.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:54 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
theres a lot more to a/c then just charge it up and go. take it to a shop and have them put vacume on it to check for leaks. Chances are its the old r12 gas in there which is no longer in use. the system will need to be converted. This usually calls for a new reciever/dryer, cleaning out the entire system. You may be better off taking it to a qualified shop and have them retrofit your system to r-134.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 AM

AC help

Yea it has been retrofitted to the r-134 and the charge kit had die in it and there was no leaks.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 AM
totally a bro
Staff

then maybe your problem is electrical. There are high/low pressure cut outs. Maybe one of those have failed.

Last edited by vital22re; 04-07-2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:32 AM

Yea thats possible I guess, that sucks I was trying to fix myself.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 AM
totally a bro
Staff

the best way to get the most out of the system is to have it vacumed then charged. so you're not diluting the freon with o2
Old 04-07-2010, 01:52 AM

Ok sounds good, hey another thing my AC switch doesnt light up when pushed in, I think there should be a green light right. But I dont know if it matters since you can hear and see the AC engage. What do you think.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:56 AM
totally a bro
Staff

can you see the compresser clutch engage? when you turn on the ac?
Old 04-07-2010, 02:12 AM

HHMM not sure, so dont make fun of me but where do I look and Ill try it today and see.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:28 AM
totally a bro
Staff

with the engine running... look at very front of the ac pump, you'll see the pulley for the pump. The face of the pully will not be spinning with the ac turned off. the pulley will spin with the belt. but the face wont. That face part is the clutch. When you turn on the a/c with the engine running the clutch will lock in and spin with the rest of the pulley. Chances are you may have other issues.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
lotta spam this morning.

good info on that clutch engaging.....my belt broke many moons ago and i haven't had the need or want for a/c but i will be hooking a belt on with my build. if the clutch does not engage correctly would this lock up that pulley? and possibly snap a belt? or maybe my belt was just old.

as far as the light goes, maybe that's just the bulb? I would think that if , when you press your button in and you hear the system draw power, that would indicate the switch is good. i could be full of crap too.

i'll be watching this thread but i'm going back to spam patrol.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
He had four threads, I got him.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:56 AM

smart spammer at that too....where did that turtle thread go, that was funny.

sorry for the hijack dud but there was some creative spamming this morning.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:14 AM
totally a bro
Staff

belts get old and fall apart jerry, if the compressor clutch was bad, you'd either hear bearings and or a loud shreaking. The light for the ac switch i wanna say is led. But i'm not 100% positive on that.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:30 AM

after it broke, i did have it replaced and then one day i noticed the belt hanging (i remember i was charged $64 for that little repair) so i just cut it off since my wife was the only one that wanted a/c...with a little truck with a sun roof and sliding rea window, i don't think i need it but it was an agreement with the wife.

so anyway i'm wondering if it was from a loose installation or something else.....but no, no noises that i remember.

similar on the Cadillac though....last summer, no a/c...previous fall, good a/c..i hear it engage so i bought one of those recharge things and it was at full charge, so the thing with the Cadillac is something more but not dissimilar to the OP's problem.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 PM

Yea so my clutch seems to engage fine. Could it be like the condenser or something like that hopefully not the compressor. Im not sure what it could be, seems like the switch is ok tho cause it does draw on the motor. So with those things beeing ok what else do you think it could be. Im just wanting to try all I can before I go to a shop and have them figure out some small thing I am missing. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM

make sure the conversion kit wasn't installed wrong. often the adapter is installed on the high pressure side.. if not it is most likely your condenser leaking.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:59 AM

how would you know if the conversion kit was installed wrong?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 PM

Ok first off I have searched and cant find info on yotatech about troubleshooting the AC system. So here we go I have a 92 4runner with the 3.0 6cyl. My ac blew luke warm air and was not getting cold at all. When I turned on the ac it would draw on the motor like it should but no cold air. So I get one of those recharg kits from kragen. I follow directions and hook it up to the low side and charge, but when I do the guage goes all the way up. In the danger zone, so I try the ac and still no cooler. I then blead the low port till nothing comes out and then recharge again and same outcome. At this point I dont know what to do, any help would be great.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:08 PM

AC Trouble

Hey good luck man I have the same exact story as you I have posted it here and have not been able to get any good info. I really wanted to try to figure it out before I took it to someone and paid them way to much to fix something I could have fixed.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning HELP!