Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3vze stalling while driving, loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3vze stalling while driving, loss of power.

Hi there, just though I’d ask on here for some help with my 4runner. Not too long ago I was driving away from my house and my engine started to rock back and forth and finally stalled, my battery and check engine light came on. I restarted the engine and it took a lot of effort from the start motor to get it going again and when it ran, it struggled. I had to keep applying throttle to keep the engine going, plus it ran quite roughly (slightly wobbling idle). So I turned the car around a limped back home and I noticed it had lost a lot of power so I had to hold the gears for longer. I got home and pulled in the driveway and the engine just gave up.... lucky I made it on the driveway atleast. I let the car sit for a while and then started it again, but this time it started right away and idled just fine. It just sat there idling normally as if nothing was wrong. I took it out for another spin and the same thing happened, stalled, idled roughly and limped home.

Before all all this I did a motor mount replacement, maybe as I was fiddling around it may have loosened a connector or something, maybe around the alternator - not sure. Additionally, I added some seafoam in the fuel tank about three days ago but again, the car was honestly running fine.

My 4runner is a 1995 Rv6 with the 3VZE engine, it’s done 302,XXX kilometres and had it serviced recently.

So in summary, my engine idles normally when just sitting still, but as soon as I move it dies. I need help diagnosing this issue as I need the car to work for two long distance trips coming up. Apologies for the essay

- Patrick
Old 04-16-2019, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Found a crack in my intake hose right before the throttle body, this crack was half the diameter of the hose. So this could’ve caused the engine to perform poorly.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by Paddy1986
Update: Found a crack in my intake hose right before the throttle body, this crack was half the diameter of the hose. So this could’ve caused the engine to perform poorly.
Yes, that large crack in the intake hose could definitely cause the problems you are having. The crack lets in un-metered air into the intake and the computer receives information from the air flow meter that the engine is getting much less air than it is actually getting.