Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22RE Engine tick on Accel/Deccel

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22RE Engine tick on Accel/Deccel

So I searched quite a bit and havent been able to find an answer as of yet, so here I go.

I recently got an 85' 4runner with the 22re in it. When I just push in the gas, or just let the gas off, or get to high rpm, i hear a very distinct tick coming form the valve cover. I have tried adjusting the valves closer (8/12 Hot) but that didnt really seem to help much, so i went 6/10 hot, which seemed to help when the engine was cool, but once it warms up it comes back as strong as ever.. Does anyone have any input on this or had the same problem? I am at a loss.

It doesnt tick when you are really in the power stroke (going up a hill or still accellerating). It really only does it when just putting in the gas pedal or letting it off or maintaining a speed that the motor doesnt have to work to hard to keep. If needed I can make a video so you can all hear what I am talking about.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 PM

anybody have any ideas?
Old 09-22-2012, 03:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try a video. I'm having a bit of a time understanding. And remember, one persons "tick" is another persons "knock" or "bang". Crazy, I know, but reality nonetheless. So videos help a lot.

Oil pressure ok, timing chain tensioner in good shape, timing chain guides in good shape, distributor gear/cam contact ok, cam pulley ok, exhaust leaks/cracked manifold? These are just some thoughts.

Last edited by rokblok; 09-22-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:32 AM

ok I finally got a video posted. Here it is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0k2R_wAXLpo

Any insights?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Beuler... Beuler...
Old 09-29-2012, 08:18 AM

Ok, so i have tightened down all the exhaust manifold bolts (that fixed my exhaust leaj that you can hear in the video) and the noise is still there.. this rattle is really starting to bug me... anyone have any insights?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:16 AM

Kinda sounds like a timing chain rattle. Rip your valve cover off and check the guide rails for the timing chain. Just look down the sides of the timing chain with a flashlight. Alot of them are plastic and wear out pretty quick. Do a youtube search for 22re timing chain rattle and compare. Could be a worn cam bearing or even atrocious piston slap. I would hope not though. Good luck

-V
Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Valerik
Kinda sounds like a timing chain rattle. Rip your valve cover off and check the guide rails for the timing chain. Just look down the sides of the timing chain with a flashlight. Alot of them are plastic and wear out pretty quick. Do a youtube search for 22re timing chain rattle and compare. Could be a worn cam bearing or even atrocious piston slap. I would hope not though. Good luck

-V
Thanks for the response! The motor was rebuilt (not by me) around 60k ago and when they did it they put in the good metal ones. When I adjusted the valves I checked and sure enough.. Metal guides.. It definitely sounds like its coming form the top end, So I wouldnt assume piston slap. How tough is it to change a cam bearing? Is there any way to check it without removing the cams?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:37 AM

Now I have noticed that it makes zero noise in the morning. while the motor is still cold. Could this be because the oil is thicker and not allowing something to slap?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possibly, what oil are you running and what's the morning ambient temp?
Old 10-01-2012, 04:06 PM

could it be that your valve cover bolts are torqued down to tight
Old 10-01-2012, 07:26 PM

Morning temp currently is around 35-50 degrees. I am in Rexburg ID, so the temp kinda varies this time of year. But even when its 70 out, It acts the same. Not hearing it on start up that is. When I changed the oil I put in 5-W30, But it has had 3 quarts since then because I leak oil only at highway speeds, So anytime I road trip I need to add a quart. City driving it doesnt leak. I know its not the valve cover... That was the first thing I checked. My current thoughts are timing chain like Valerik said.. I just need to find time when I am not at the library or work to check it..
Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM

Ok, I took a peek in the valve cover this afternoon. The Timing Guides all looked great

Here they are.
Drivers Side

Passenger Side

Top View

There was a little play in the chain on the drivers side, but nothing to excessive. I did notice that on the valve cover there was a very small spot that had been rubbed, but nothing that would be causing this kind of noise on a consistent basis..
Here are the pics, one close up and one for perspective

after I got every thing back together I got up over the motor by sitting on my stinger and really listened to it while reving the motor. It seems to be coming from the back side. Still sounds like its up top, but more focused at the back.. Could it be that I have a bad lifter spring on wither cylinders 3 or 4? The back side cam bearing? Thoughts?

Last edited by Spazzcdnm; 10-02-2012 at 05:43 PM.