Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1990 3.0 (Auto) 4x4 4runner TRANNY ISSUES!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1990 3.0 (Auto) 4x4 4runner TRANNY ISSUES!

Hello All,

Wanted to ask if anyone here can help me trouble shoot my tranny.I was driving to day and the car sometimes doesn't shift into 4th or 5th. I will also be driving and all of a suddon the tranny downshifts into 4th.Can anyone steer me in the right direction with this.greatly appreciaited
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM

Your 4 speed transmission will never shift into 5th gear. If it's not shifting into overdrive (4th), it could be your throttle position sensor, coolant temperature sensor, thermostat, etc. etc..

Need more info.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
Your 4 speed transmission will never shift into 5th gear. If it's not shifting into overdrive (4th), it could be your throttle position sensor, coolant temperature sensor, thermostat, etc. etc..

Need more info.

I feel like a yoyo now that I know I didn't have a five speed, oooppps.I swear I thought the thing had a 5 speed.
Now that you mention Thermostat, I did remove it completely due to it sticking on me and being that I live in south Florida where temps are an issues at times I figured the truck would run cooler.I have always owned manual cars and most of the time I would remove them aswell, but am thinking this could def. be the problem since it wasn't doing it before I removed the Stat.trip to the dealer today, hopefully this should cover the issue.Thanks a mill for taking the time to help a rookie out, greatly appreciate it.

Jay
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM

Yep, the trans will not shift into OD until the engine has reached operating temp and will downshift to 3rd if it falls below operating temp. I'm surprised it was shifting into OD at all without a thermostat.

Get a thermostat in there...I wouldn't use anything but the OEM two-stage Toyota unit.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
Yep, the trans will not shift into OD until the engine has reached operating temp and will downshift to 3rd if it falls below operating temp. I'm surprised it was shifting into OD at all without a thermostat.

Get a thermostat in there...I wouldn't use anything but the OEM two-stage Toyota unit.

You nailed brother, thank you much for helping me out on this man, greatly appreciate it.New OEM T.Stat, problem solved, truck shift's perfect.

Out of so many peeps on here you were the only one to help on the issue, good man! Thanks again and I'll make sure to do the same for some1 somewhere along the roads.
Good weekend!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Glad I could help!
Old 01-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Well, right when I thought it was all good, BAM!!! the truck is overheating...I swear I am really getting fed of of this 3.slow....New Oem T-Stat, new fan clutch and the truck keeps on over heating.This is the reason why I orginally took off the T.Stat in the first place, runs perfect with out it, except the tranny not shifting correctly. any ideas anyone? oh Radiator has no leaks...
Old 01-27-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
now that the tranny issue is solved,id change the tittle to something like ...3.slow overheating.
may attract the right attention to help solve your issue.
i over heated my 3.slow due to a very bad head gasket,3.slow is even slower now.
so i wouldnt keep driving it untill the problem is solved.

when you over heat an automatic equipped vehicle too many time,your over heating the tranny aswell.
somthing to think about.

Last edited by igotit; 01-27-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two areas come to mind, mainly the waterpump, second being the head gasket. Did you replace the coolant with Toyota Red antifreeze? I know there will be some that disagree, but there is a reason they run that antifreeze in these motors. If you put extended life(purple) in it, it reacts with the Toyota antifreeze and becomes acidic, which in turn eats water pumps and water jackets. The thermostat is usually the second to fail which inevitably blows the head gasket. Just something to add in to think about. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but its what usually happens. Extended life gets put in or even worse, standard green antifreeze.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by igotit
now that the tranny issue is solved,id change the tittle to something like ...3.slow overheating.
may attract the right attention to help solve your issue.
i over heated my 3.slow due to a very bad head gasket,3.slow is even slower now.
so i wouldnt keep driving it untill the problem is solved.

when you over heat an automatic equipped vehicle too many time,your over heating the tranny aswell.
somthing to think about.
Funny S**T...
Old 01-28-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lycanistic
Two areas come to mind, mainly the waterpump, second being the head gasket. Did you replace the coolant with Toyota Red antifreeze? I know there will be some that disagree, but there is a reason they run that antifreeze in these motors. If you put extended life(purple) in it, it reacts with the Toyota antifreeze and becomes acidic, which in turn eats water pumps and water jackets. The thermostat is usually the second to fail which inevitably blows the head gasket. Just something to add in to think about. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but its what usually happens. Extended life gets put in or even worse, standard green antifreeze.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it. I was really hoping it wasn't the headgasket since the engine had been rebuilt about 10K ago. It seemed it had to BURP!! Put it on an incline up, took the cap off and let it ran idle for about 30 mins, and BAM, problem solved, thank the higher power and the All mighty yotatech forums and ofcourse all you peeps that make it all happen...Thanks EVERYONE!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol... ya, anytime u drain and refill the cooling system, its gonna need to burp! Sometimes it can b a real pain to get all the air out, but gotta do it.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM

I had the same thing happen, almost pulled the new thermostat back out, thinking I had screwed something up.